What's new

Show us your camp stove

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Honestly, I forget what it burns.

I think I used Coleman camp stove fuel.

MSR stove, GSI Outdoors pot that holds up to 32 oz.
View attachment 664884

I have that same exact setup, only with the 1.1 L pot.

My next stove will be an alcohol burner.

This is the stove I started with:

$4146_1b.jpg

I have a Primus two burner for car camping, then an MSR isobutane and a couple Primus isobutanes from my backpacking days. I think I have. Couple generic propane single burner in the Home Emergency stash.

I used to have a couple old GAZ c206 stoves and lanterns, but I gave them to my Mother and Sister, along with a flat or two of canisters, for portable emergency use. They keep them in there emergency kits.

i don't have one, but always loved the old Optimus and Svea stoves. Works of art in brass and nickel.

For pots, I always likes the simple MSR Stainless pots with a lid and wire handle. You can stash the stove in it, and if it's a big enough one, a fuel canister and maybe seasonings. They never cleaned up well on the trail though, and I never could get one to season worth a darn. But I think I have 3-4 from about .5 liter up to 1.5-1.75 liter, plus a coffee/tea pot the wife insisted we have. Sadly it seems I use them mostly for car camping these days.

Difference between back packing and camping

Backpacking means you carry everything.

Camping means you show up with everything)

backpacking I carry a Primus 8R (like the blue and brass shown above). It runs on white gas (coleman stove gas)

Camping I arrive in this along with everything I might ever want or need.....

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is mine. It's about ten years old and has been with me on many trips domestic and abroad. No idea waht make it is, it is unmarked, but I bought it REI. I use usually Primus gas canisters with it.

proxy.php

If I had this I'd live in it! Wake up each day still at home but with an ever changing front yard! :thumbup1:

Yep, the views can get pretty good indeed... Longest we traveled in it was a few years ago when we left in July and did not get back home until November.... Miles of memories, all small US highways, state roads, and even some county roads. Not a big interstate traveler as it is just way too boring and way too many people driving on the interstates.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's my kind of highway! :thumbup1:

Most of the roads I travel in the US are just like that one. Empty, and go on as far as you can see with no one around except for maybe a farm tractor or hay wagon. Sometimes not even farm equipment.

Americans like to travel on the perfectly flat, wide, concrete ribbons of the interstate network. Bumper to bumper zipping along at 70+ mph. One hand with white knuckles clenched to the steering wheel the other hand resting on the butt of their sidearm, ready to "do business" with the next bozo who cuts them off.

Not for me. I like the long open expanses of undulating road that follow the contour of the land, Rolling along from small town to the next small town, slowing down to 25 mph before hitting the only 4 way stop in west bow funk anywhereville.... Then blending back to the endless empty ribbon of asphalt once again until the next little town comes into focus.

proxy.php

Most of the roads I travel in the US are just like that one. Empty, and go on as far as you can see with no one around except for maybe a farm tractor or hay wagon. Sometimes not even farm equipment.

Americans like to travel on the perfectly flat, wide, concrete ribbons of the interstate network. Bumper to bumper zipping along at 70+ mph. One hand with white knuckles clenched to the steering wheel the other hand resting on the butt of their sidearm, ready to "do business" with the next bozo who cuts them off.

Not for me. I like the long open expanses of undulating road that follow the contour of the land, Rolling along from small town to the next small town, slowing down to 25 mph before hitting the only 4 way stop in west bow funk anywhereville.... Then blending back to the endless empty ribbon of asphalt once again until the next little town comes into focus.

proxy.php

You have described my dream retirement. :thumbup1:

My family loves camping and cooking....

It's a "mountain stove". Legs come off and store in the bottom. It folds up like a suit case. About 20 years old and I love it. As you can see, it handle 10 & 15 gallon pots easily.

Been using an MSR Micro Rocket for motorcycle and backpack camping for a while now. No complaints at all. Works great even in cold winter temps.

I've got a 20-something year old MSR Whisperlight that works as well as day one, currently loaded with 87 octane in the bottle. it burned a lot of JP-8 back in the day. even saw some white gas a few times.

Top Bottom