What's new

Show us your blade banks 🪒

For holiday I use the plastic blade dispensers used blade slot. At home I dump the blades in a bigger blade bank. Might modify one of my smaller sharps containers used for acupuncture to use in the bathroom though. But with half a litre they will take for ages to fill.

Reactions: ewk
I use a "sharps" container generally intended for healthcare (needles and such). It's about a quart sized container and will probably last me the rest of my life.

1630876538513.png

Wouldn't an empty glass jam jar be a good storage for used DE blades? You would simply unscrew the top, pop the used blade in then simply screw the top back on, then once its full for disposable, you could secure the lid with gaffer tape to stop it being accidently opened?

Jason.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Wouldn't an empty glass jam jar be a good storage for used DE blades? You would simply unscrew the top, pop the used blade in then simply screw the top back on, then once its full for disposable, you could secure the lid with gaffer tape to stop it being accidently opened?

Jason.
I personally wouldn't use glass because if it breaks you'll have DE blades strewn everywhere. Metal tins and cans aren't breakable, and even if they get crushed the blades will most likely stay inside.

I personally wouldn't use glass because if it breaks you'll have DE blades strewn everywhere. Metal tins and cans aren't breakable, and even if they get crushed the blades will most likely stay inside.
Ok that is helpful. Never thought of that. Just thought a jam jar would be a sturdy way to store used blades. But thanks for that reply anyway.

Jason.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A122D116-D2CD-4223-BB1A-D899F6AF8AB8.jpeg

This is my blade bank. I don’t think I will ever fill it. There is no hole in the bottom only the slit in the top. When I go away I just take a disposable or a cartridge razor with me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using a bank (with pictures of kittens) for many years. It's about 8" tall, but I do fear it will fill up in another couple of years. I got this one in a dollar store, but have not seen another for some time. Now I'm thinking a plastic peanut butter jar might be the replacement. But in the mean time I'll keep looking for another cheap coin bank.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I 3D print my blade banks. Then wrap them in tape to dispose. Only filled one so far.

When I travel, I usually just leave the blade in the razor until I get home. If I need to change a blade on the road, I carry an old feather plastic tuck as a micro blade bank. If I’m using carry on, and can’t bring the blade home, I snap the blade in half, wrap in a tissue, and stuff it into an empty 20oz water bottle. Then write “Sharp” on it with a sharpie. Toss it in the trash. Totally safe.

I've only been DE shaving since 2016 and used an empty Alum bar box for disposal of blades. I have a few as back ups tucked away in a drawer. This one I recently had filled up and then taped it up and with a black sharpie I wrote used razor blades on it and disposed of it in the trash. One would have to cut the container open to get to the blades so it just seemed to me to be a very safe option. I'm sure most everyone has at one time or another bought an alum bar in these containers. This one I believe was from Italian Barber and then the next couple I had were Gentlemen John branded boxes.
Blade bank 1.jpg
Blade bank 2.jpg

Legion

Staff member
In Australia the go to was often the vintage Commonwealth Bank tin money boxes that they used to sell for 6d (and replaced free when the kid brought it in to deposit the money). They can still be found in most antique stores pretty easily. Found one in a thrift store today.

IMG_7627.jpeg

To continue the Australian (if not more locally niche) theme, I use an old Barnes' Castlemaine Rock tin. A pretty ordinary lolly (candy) that people mostly bought because of the iconic tins, they've gone out of business now. Been using this tin for 8 years and it's probably only half full, I use it for other sharps too such as snapped off utility knife blades.
IMG_1438.JPG

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
saj:
Here's mine;

My Blade Banks -1.jpg
My Blade Banks -2.jpg

proxy.php
Gifted (give-away), from member Captain Pre-Capsize...a heavy Vintage Cast Iron Blade Bask ("originally made to be used as a coin bank for children...[and]...has to be 100+ years old at this point. Hefty and the real deal").

My Blade Banks.jpg

Vintage Ever-Ready Blade Bank

Ceramic Pelican (Louisiana's State Bird), Coin Bank, (that I use as a razor bank).

Vintage Kool Cigarettes Coin Bank (again that I use as a razor bank)

proxy.php
"[A razor blade bank can be liken to a]…riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma". Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited:
Top Bottom