What's new

Show us your blade banks 🪒

Trying to imagine how that makes it safe.... admittedly I am not gold with spatial visualization....
When you break it the first time it puts both sharp edges together, right? So when you fold it the second time, doesn't that just make it so now there are four sharp edges all together, pointing the same way? If so, how does that make it safe, exactly? Is it about how the paper is folded or something?
Sorry if I am being dense.

I think that's a great idea.

Also, a blade bank doesn't have to cost you. A can of some kind of broth is dirt cheap, and after you use the broth, now you have a great under sink, kid safe blade bank that holds a ton of blades.

Just cut a blade-sized slot in the top to pour the broth out instead of opening the can as normal.

(Sent from mobile)

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
53.jpg
magic hole to blade heaven

Trying to imagine how that makes it safe.
Maybe more accurate to say "safer than throwing putting the blade in the trash." The idea came to me from the concept of leaving the blade in the paper wrapper to snap it in half for use in a shavette, Leaf, or other single edge razor. It is never altogether "safe" to snap a sharp blade in half. Yet the paper wrapper generally provides enough protection that the blade can be snapped without injury, even though fingers are perilously close to the sharp edge.

The paper remains intact, keeping the sharp edges covered. The second snap makes this a tidy compact packet that can be discarded without worrying about the blade slicing through the garbage bag.

Just a thought to share inspired by my Yankee frugality. In a better world, the blades would be conveniently recyclable. Unfortunately, in my region, recycling of any materials is rare and inconvenient.

I use this technique on trips; when I shave in a hotel, I get rid of the blades by putting them in their paper case and folding them as @ewk does. In my case, I only do the first fold. Then I wrap them in a piece of toilet paper and throw them in the trash. This prevents the bag from breaking when they remove it when cleaning the room, and that if a curious hand removes the contents it will not get hurt ...

...this method reduces countertop clutter and does not involve purchasing an item whose only purpose is to be thrown out when full.
Much easier than folding sharp blades and snap them would be to keep whatever container under the sink. Even if you change the blade after every shave there is little effort involved in this process. And for a dedicated container there are several things around anyone's household that would be happy to step in and volunteer as a blade disposal container. The plastic tuck itself, if you have one, can hold one year worth of blades and it is very compact, an empty tin can, and so on.
I just don't consider the "double snapping" method for safely disposing of used blades safe enough. But I might be wrong, as I was wrong before. Many times.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I also use the same technique in my travels, but I think it is very common and I don't think it is a kind of "devised".
In addition, the moisture in the trash can may still damage the wrapping paper, so the danger cannot be completely avoided. It is purely a compromise of convenience.

In my daily life, I still put the used blades together in the metal mint cans, wrap them with tape and write "discarded blades" when they are full, and then discard them.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Dollar store blades come in a little plastic box containing 5 blades that slide out. The underside of the little plastic box is a blade bank where you slide used blades in. i have put 25 or so used blades into one of these.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I currently use regular sharps containers that only cost $3, and take years to fill. Before disposing of them I also use duct tape to ensure they are very difficult to open.

Another free option is using either empty prescription or vitamin bottles, which can hold many blades. I also tape these so the tops don't open. These are also great to use when traveling because of their small size.

I really like the metal broth can method. I think it is the safer method because there is no lid or cap to open, just the slit made in the top of the can. These are also very durable, and will not break like a glass jar that some people use. A can of chicken or beef broth cost less than $1.

I use a tin that I think is for tea bags or coffee or something, I’ve been using it for ten years and I reckon it’s less than 10% full so I’ll be dead before it needs to be thrown out.

The method of folding I think is good but our trash is manually sorted at a facility so I’d worry, although I’m sure they use very thick gloves if they even touch the actual trash at all.

Reactions: ewk
Dollar store blades come in a little plastic box containing 5 blades that slide out. The underside of the little plastic box is a blade bank where you slide used blades in. i have put 25 or so used blades into one of these.
Nothing stops you to use the top side when empty. Considering that a blade is only 0.1mm thick, a plastic tuck will hold around 60 blades. I speak from experience.
This is the most compact way to store used blades.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Nothing stops you to use the top side when empty. Considering that a blade is only 0.1mm thick, a plastic tuck will hold around 60 blades. I speak from experience.
This is the most compact way to store used blades.
I agree but trying to shove them back into the top is a little too fiddly for me, they slide easily into the bottom. This sounds way dirtier than I meant it.

I go the exact opposite direction. I use TWO blade banks.

This very cool art deco froggy is my sink-top blade bank.

When it is full (10 =/- blades) I shake it empty and insert the used blades into a can I keep in my medicine cabinet. Twice the work! But I like it this way: used cans are ugly, and I hate ugly.

Attachments

• frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom