What's new

Show us your blade banks 🪒

Broth can. Very secure (kids). This can is 5 + years old weights 1.66 lbs & still has room.
BladeDisposal.JPG

I just use a broth can. Used a chisel to cut a slot across the top and a drill to put a tiny hole in the bottom. Been putting blades in it for ~6 years now and there's still heaps of room. If I ever fill it, I'll just drop in the scrap metal can at work and start a new one.

One would think that there would be a method to expedite decomposition by rusting so that the blades would simply be a homogenous clump of iron, thus not a hazard due to sharpness.
Reminded me of an old thread I did a few years back.

I devised a "double snapping" method for safely disposing of used blades. The double snapped blade remains safely in the paper, will not unfold, and can be safely discarded in the regular trash without fear of ripping garbage bags or cutting one's hand when searching for a treasure that accidentally fell in the trash.

First step is to return the blade to the paper wrapper and snap as you normally would for use as a single blade. For a double wrapped blade like Voskhod I usually use both wrappers. However, as you can see, it is still safe to use the inside wrapper alone:
IMG_20210825_114033888.jpgIMG_20210825_114047162.jpg

Then the second snap. It is even safer than the first snap as you hold it by the non-sharpened edges.
Ready:
IMG_20210825_114108166.jpg

Bend:
IMG_20210825_114120227.jpg

Snap:
IMG_20210825_114146967.jpg

Done:
IMG_20210825_114153580.jpg

I admit this does not account for recycling the blades. For someone like me who will not seek out a recycling center that accepts used blades, this method reduces countertop clutter and does not involve purchasing an item whose only purpose is to be thrown out when full.

@saj1985, to reduce clutter on the countertop I use a "double snap" method to prepare a used DE blade for disposal. I keep the original wrapper, and essentially snap the blade twice; once as you would to use a DE as a single blade. Second snap across the long edge. Pictures and fuller explanation here:

Top Bottom