What's new

Show Us Your BICYCLE(S)!!!!

I haven't been able to ride as much the past 6 months, as I've been fixing up our house a bit. As soon as the weather starts to cool down a bit here, I'll be getting these guys back out of the stable...

Gunnar RockHound - needs some derailleur adjustment at the moment
$IMG_1409.jpg
Gunnar Roadie
$IMG_1463.jpg

What can I say? If I didn't like old-school steel, I probably wouldn't have found myself at B&B. :001_smile

Steel is REAL! :) Now, I like my modern Diamondback road bike (full Tiagra 10spd), but Steel offers a more compliant ride. I also ride a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper that is converted to SingleSpeed for the canal trails, which is all cro-mo, and I love it!

Always wanted a Gunnar Rockhound MTB frame. But, a bit out of my price range, since I don't mountain bike much anymore, contrary to my screen name...

I wouldn't mind a simple bike for camping, but one I can use around town with the kids too for when I don't want to take out my main commuter.

Used is an option, but the market where I am is very, very limited from what I've seen, so I don't mind buying new. I'll keep looking used for a while as it's nothing I need right now, just something I wouldn't mind for next year.

Looking at this little commuter. I'd switch out the pedals to clipless and the stem is too relaxed (as the 1 reviewer pointed out). I don't need disc breaks on it, my other commuter is an 8 gear hub. Front tire comes off which is nice, for cramming in the trailer.

I'm a big fan of the my 8 gear internal hub. It makes the rear a bit heavy, but for the riding I do now, it's not an issue. No mis-shifts, no maintenance on it and just a simple ride with no fuss.

Just have to convince my wife I need a "camping, 2nd bike".

MEC Mixed Tape Bicycle (Unisex)

$5029-445_SAH00_view1_720x720.jpg

Do you protect your Brooks saddle when it is like that? I have one on my bike, and I am always pretty precious about keeping it dry. But I might be too precious, and they can take a bit more than I give them credit for.

The saddle was mostly protected by mud splatter from the rack. I do have a saddle cover, made by a place called Randi Jo Fabrications. It's custom made to fit the form of the saddle and riding in the rain is no problem with the cover on. It poured all night when I was riding out there, but the combination of the saddle cover and the fact that I kept the bike directly under my hammock kept everything nice and dry.

Thanks, Andy. I'm looking forward to the start of school so I'll have time to put them to use again. They're looking lonely and dusty at the moment.

I'll be picking one of these up tomorrow. I went to a local Trek shop to look at their low end Cyclocross bikes but this one was around the same price (steep discount), and the components are significantly better than what's on the Trek. It's the Felt F65X.

View attachment 350717

Just a follow-up. I ended up not getting the Felt bike because the frame size I needed was unavailable. Fast forward to yesterday....

$8001007075_512e870c86_k.jpg

I bought a Salsa Vaya 2, which is really better suited to my needs. I switched the stock saddle to a Brooks B17, and put RMS Sneaker pedals on it.

Legion

Staff member
Just a follow-up. I ended up not getting the Felt bike because the frame size I needed was unavailable. Fast forward to yesterday....

View attachment 354611

I bought a Salsa Vaya 2, which is really better suited to my needs. I switched the stock saddle to a Brooks B17, and put RMS Sneaker pedals on it.

For a stock saddle those WTB are pretty good. My GT came with one and it is quite comfortable. Having said that, I switched it for a B17 as well.

Picked up a mountain bike a little while back, first opportunity to take her out a get her dirty.

Gearing is a little low compared to the road bike, but so much more comfortable to ride.

For a stock saddle those WTB are pretty good. My GT came with one and it is quite comfortable. Having said that, I switched it for a B17 as well.

After my first B17 there was no going back.

And my son was a real "enabler". I was originally looking to stay in the $1,000 - $1,300 range. HAH! With the bike, pedals, saddle, rear rack, and trunk bag- I'm in deep. The bike has very nice components, so I don't expect to switch any of that stuff out until something breaks. And the "double tap" brifters are great.

Here my 2 current bikes. A 2011 Madone and a 2012 Speed Concept. When I get home from this deployment I plan on getting a Specialized Venge.

Attachments

• $2012-03-02 18.05.53.jpg
    $2012-03-02 18.05.53.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 154
  • $386286_2767634270541_936455357_n.jpg
    $386286_2767634270541_936455357_n.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 154
Top Bottom