What's new

Show us your Bakelite.

Legion

Staff member
I found this in one of my boxes today and wasn't sure where to post it, so maybe a whole new thread is needed.

So, lots of people collect Bakelite items. And lots of shaving items were made of Bakelite. Here is the thread to show off what you have that might be interesting in your collection.

This shaving kit is NOS, and made by Bexyl in Australia. Nice Art Deco lines, and has a NOS British Bakelite Gillette inside, still with the cellophane on the head.

7615F467-FA36-462B-ACE1-A9A7E9B8B4B5.jpeg
04EBED8C-57FE-4857-9A20-E21FCCE01FD0.jpeg
7460E2F4-CFA8-4C72-BB64-864B7FB62A03.jpeg

I only have two bakelites in my collection but they are both beauties. A Clix from the WW2 era and a Wardonia from I believe the mid-1930s.

20230129_145706.jpg
20230129_145912.jpg

I have a minty one of those Wardonia's I bought with a vintage travel kit, only to find it took propriety blades. Sad face.
I've bought the sum total of one only Wardonia because it came with blades, case, outer shipper, guarantee card......... looks real spiffy, like.
but as you say proprietary blades, the old ''Barrel hole'' blade trick, wardonia blades fit gillette pin width, but gillette pin width won't fit wardonia pin width. Sneaky ploy in my opinion in the blade war that may or may not have ensued at the time 'and' circumvents any patent issue while trying to win some of the blade market?
Therefore, no more wardonia purchases in my future, i have one, unless a really really really interesting one surfaces?

so ... the purpose was to Dougle a bakelite/celluloid item for a lead, which led me to this thread.

"The Shaving Accelerator" .... ????? .. Absolute no idea, for how or what it is used? Any advice, opinions, or thought would be graciously appreciated. A mushroom shaped item that looks like a sock darner, 1.5 inch high, 1.75 inch diameter.

S A mysery item.JPG

S A mysery item2.JPG

Bakeliet was big in 1950s, believe it was very brittle material, that after time b became like plastic, it exposed to extreme heat, and low RH's it became more brittle.

Bakeliet was big in 1950s, believe it was very brittle material, that after time b became like plastic, it exposed to extreme heat, and low RH's it became more brittle.
Quite the contrary ... invented just before 1910, has great heat insulation and non electrical conductivity.
If you have a cooking pot with an ugly black knob on the lid or handle on it chances are it is still bakelite.
Restores absolute beautifully with elbow grease.

Top Bottom