Too Fugly For Free.
I'll start with three I enjoy often:

A US made Savage 1907 that was built in 1913:
proxy.php

Ortgies made in 1924 with custom English Walnut grips:
proxy.php

CZ VZ(model)50 made in 1968:
proxy.php

World War I era I-Frame Smith & Wesson Model 1903 .32 S&W Long.

1913 vintage Colt Police Positive .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long actually)

1905 vintage Colt New Pocket transitional in .32 Long Colt

Early to mid-1920s K-Frame Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector .32-20

1906 Colt New Navy .32-20. Very scarce Colt variant, but very ratty condition.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Beauties! Love the top two - .32s were frequently war trophies.

I see the play on words; pistols vs. revolvers.

Hm, think there's a choice PP around here somewhere … not as pretty as Mick's PPK! Whatd'ya get that one off Goering!?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With all the innovations in technology that came from WWII, still don't know why we had sights on a .45 or pocket pistol that were the size of a clipped fingernail ...

You'd think one innovator - perhaps middle-aged - might have put decently large and visible sights on a pistol.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

Hm, think there's a choice PP around here somewhere … not as pretty as Mick's PPK! Whatd'ya get that one off Goering!?

AA
The Savage 1907 is truly amazing.

• Striker Fired.
  • Frame mounted Safety.
  • Slide rides inside of frame rather than over frame.
  • A "Delayed Blowback System" where the barrel rotates slightly before releasing.
  • The first high capacity Double Stack magazine (over a decade before the HiPower). It held ten 32acps + one in the chamber.
  • Drop Free magazines with a magazine release button.
  • Fully removable Fire Control Unit Breach Plug Assembly where you can simply turn the unit and slide it out.
  • No need to pull the trigger to take down.
  • No screws needed to fully disassemble.
And remember, this is a design patented in 1905.

Even today all the pieces parts fit together like they floated on ball bearing surfaces.

The Ortgies from 1924 has a unique grip safety. Once you press it in it stays in the "FIRE" mode until you push a button on the frame. Then it pops back out into the "SAFE" mode.

Fire Mode:
proxy.php

The button right behind the grip is the safety release.

Safe Mode:
proxy.php

The barrel on the Ortgies also is easily removed and an owner could simply swap in a 380 one. The magazine worked with either 32acp or 380 rounds.

proxy.php

The CZ is a much later design, post WWII. Introduced in 1950 mine was made near the EOL in 1968. Unlike the first two it is conventional DA/SA with a frame mounted safety that is also a decocker.

They all weigh about the same with the Savage the lightest and the CZ the heaviest but the Savage feels far lighter than either of the others.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

AA
Yes, I purposely named my thread "revolvers" as I see revolvers as potentially more useful as "woods" guns vs. the very cool .32 semi autos pictured above, which although certainly could be pressed into service for anything their cartridges could be used for, are probably best for self defense pieces, particularly with the tiny sights you mentioned. We'll forgive @noelekal for posting in the wrong thread, as we always enjoy seeing his fine classic revolvers!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes, I purposely named my thread "revolvers" as I see revolvers as potentially more useful as "woods" guns vs. the very cool .32 semi autos pictured above, which although certainly could be pressed into service for anything their cartridges could be used for, are probably best for self defense pieces, particularly with the tiny sights you mentioned. We'll forgive @noelekal for posting in the wrong thread, as we always enjoy seeing his fine classic revolvers!

I mean, WWII gave us jet fighter aircraft and the first object in space (the V-2).

How hard could it have been to make sights you can see ... anyways.

Ahem. I rarely shoot my .32s for a simple reason: the ammo's pricy! compared to 9mm and those I make ...

Will say, that PP has never, ever jammed.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I mean, WWII gave us jet fighter aircraft and the first object in space (the V-2).

How hard could it have been to make sights you can see ... anyways.

Ahem. I rarely shoot my .32s for a simple reason: the ammo's pricy! compared to 9mm and those I make ...

Will say, that PP has never, ever jammed.

AA
Take a look at the Slant Grip High Standard Supermatic and the Harrington & Richardson USRA Single Shot Target revolver or the Margolin Target Pistols or the Colt Match Revolvers.

Great sights were available all along but usually found on the Target models instead of the defensive handguns.

Tee hee hee ... !!!

I saw what you did there.

Ya' gotta wonder just who it was in history who was the first to decree that revolvers were not pistols.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Few reporters get the nomenclature right.

Even some good writers - Leon Uris, in the Marine Corps epic "Battle Cry," has a wounded Marine "pulling back the cocking pin" on his .45 ... where IS that part, eh. Mine just has a hammer.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Few reporters get the nomenclature right.

Even some good writers - Leon Uris, in the Marine Corps epic "Battle Cry," has a wounded Marine "pulling back the cocking pin" on his .45 ... where IS that part, eh. Mine just has a hammer.

AA
The Savage 1907 does have a "cocking knob". It is striker fired and slide reset but you can also manually **** the striker.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And as mentioned above, it has a removable Fire Control Unit/Breach Block Plug.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Savage 1907 does have a "cocking knob". It is striker fired and slide reset but you can also manually **** the striker.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And as mentioned above, it has a removable Fire Control Unit/Breach Block Plug.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would pick one of those up in a heartbeat!

Hopefully MecGar makes a mag ...

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Way down below, are a couple of my wartime Whermacht-proofed 7.65s ... a striker-fired 1940 Mauser Model 1934 & a 1944 fnh CZ Model 27 with scrubbed grips & the (seemingly) obligatory chip @ the safety. I’m guessing that CZ drew inspiration for it’s safety from Mauser’s Model 1910, as both the 27 & 34 share similar safeties. I reload for & shoot both pistols, always expecting the CZ to blow apart in my gloved hand. ;-)

The Mauser 34: A few years back, a friend, came into possession of his late-father’s (1st Lt., Ninth Infantry Division) WW2 service weapons & asked if I might show him how to clean, operate & of course, fire them - them being an I.B.M. M1 Carbine; a Remington Rand AND a Colt 1911 A-1, both in Boyt tanker rigs, & finally, an odd-looking Mauser pocket pistol ... a pistol that forced me online for historical & disassembly purposes.

As I was gutting the Mauser, the friend told me the story of how his father came into possession of it. Following hostilities, he was assigned to a N. African weapons turn-in depot & had a ‘friendly’ panzergrenadier for an interpreter. One day, said father was rummaging through a pile of sidearms, looking for a bring-back and eventually settled on a P-38. His interpreter asked to see it & said, “No, you do not want this one”. “It is a model that may not be safe.” “Let me find you a good pistol” ... a few minutes later & I suppose in somewhat typical 7.65 European fashion, he emerges with a very clean Kriegsmarine Mauser 1934, complete with holster & spare mag.

Fast-forward to a rather emotional couple of hours of range time where, already acquainted with M1s & 1911-A1s, I became fascinated with the fit, finish & performance of the Kreigsmarine Mauser. We would finally make our way upstairs & while waiting in line to pay the range fees, I meandered over to the consignment case & what did I find there, but the Mauser 1934, (pictured below) that followed me home that day.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I'll start with three I enjoy often:

A US made Savage 1907 that was built in 1913:
proxy.php

Ortgies made in 1924 with custom English Walnut grips:
proxy.php

CZ VZ(model)50 made in 1968:
proxy.php

Talk about a trifecta ... fine-looking gathering & that 1907 Savage, wow!!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Way down below, are a couple of my wartime Whermacht-proofed 7.65s ... a striker-fired 1940 Mauser Model 1934 & a 1944 fnh CZ Model 27 with scrubbed grips & the (seemingly) obligatory chip @ the safety. I’m guessing that CZ drew inspiration for it’s safety from Mauser’s Model 1910, as both the 27 & 34 share similar safeties. I reload for & shoot both pistols, always expecting the CZ to blow apart in my gloved hand. ;-)

The Mauser 34: A few years back, a friend, came into possession of his late-father’s (1st Lt., Ninth Infantry Division) WW2 service weapons & asked if I might show him how to clean, operate & of course, fire them - them being an I.B.M. M1 Carbine; a Remington Rand AND a Colt 1911 A-1, both in Boyt tanker rigs, & finally, an odd-looking Mauser pocket pistol ... a pistol that forced me online for historical & disassembly purposes.

As I was gutting the Mauser, the friend told me the story of how his father came into possession of it. Following hostilities, he was assigned to a N. African weapons turn-in depot & had a ‘friendly’ panzergrenadier for an interpreter. One day, said father was rummaging through a pile of sidearms, looking for a bring-back and eventually settled on a P-38. His interpreter asked to see it & said, “No, you do not want this one”. “It is a model that may not be safe.” “Let me find you a good pistol” ... a few minutes later & I suppose in somewhat typical 7.65 European fashion, he emerges with a very clean Kriegsmarine Mauser 1934, complete with holster & spare mag.

Fast-forward to a rather emotional couple of hours of range time where, already acquainted with M1s & 1911-A1s, I became fascinated with the fit, finish & performance of the Kreigsmarine Mauser. We would finally make our way upstairs & while waiting in line to pay the range fees, I meandered over to the consignment case & what did I find there, but the Mauser 1934, (pictured below) that followed me home that day.

The Mauser 1934 and the Walther Model 4 are two other 32 acps I had and loved but for some really important reason I can no longer remember I sold. I need to put them back on my "Keep an Eye Out" list.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The Ortgies from 1924 has a unique grip safety. Once you press it in it stays in the "FIRE" mode until you push a button on the frame. Then it pops back out into the "SAFE" mode.

Fire Mode:
proxy.php

The button right behind the grip is the safety release.

Safe Mode:
proxy.php

The barrel on the Ortgies also is easily removed and an owner could simply swap in a 380 one. The magazine worked with either 32acp or 380 rounds.

proxy.php

Here ya go.

proxy.php

Top Bottom