What's new

Show those pocket watches

Ladies and Gentlemen, I got my first pocket watch from a member here today and I'm hooked. It's no show pony, but it's beautiful to me. I love the look of age on a 95 year old watch. I have a chain for it on the way and I have to get a pouch to keep it in on my belt at work (military uniforms don't have watch pockets). Here she is. It's past time we had a post your pocket watches thread.
proxy.php

I posted this on another website back in November; I hope no one minds if I repost it here. I've wound it every day since then and it loses about two minutes per day, but I don't think that's bad considering it's age.

I dug out a pocket watch I have owned for many years, and was surprised at how good the condition is, considering it is about 120 years old. I thought you guys might be interested.

On my 16th birthday, in 1977, my Grandmother gave to me her father's pocket watch. Her father, Patrick Hannigan, came to America from Ireland during the potato famine in the late 1800's. I know that he joined the US Navy while Theodore Roosevelt was president, and that he died from cholera in the Phillippines sometime in the early 1900's or so. I do know that the family was poor, so I would think that this watch would have been a fairly expensive item for him to purchase. I found a website that has extensive history on Waltham watches, and the 14422482 serial number stamped on the movement would indicate that the watch was made in 1890. The database on the website indicates that the watch is unadjusted, Breguet spring balance, size 6, and is the "Seaside" grade. Beyond that, I really don't know much of the history of the watch. I do know that it was serviced when it was given to me. What that service entailed, I do not know. Based upon pictures of other similar watches I think it is all original. The watch has been in a box in my closet for a very long time, and has been wound only a handful of times in the past 25 years. It is running now but I don't know yet how well it keeps time.

Anyhow, I thought you might enjoy a few pictures of the watch. I think it's a pretty neat little piece of history.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My grandfathers pocket watch, that once I got it serviced has about a 48 hour reserve, which really impressed me. It is an Elgin from 1897.

$2011-08-14_23-14-19_248.jpg
$2011-08-14_23-15-09_212.jpg
$2012-01-05_20-56-22_545.jpg
$2012-01-05_20-56-48_184.jpg

Legion

Staff member
This was my Grandfathers war watch. It has a broad arrow stamp on the back, so I guess it was issued to him, and probably carried though Africa. I don't use it, but it does still work. It's nothing fancy, but it's a family heirloom, I guess.

proxy.php

I rarely wear pocket watches but I do have several in my collection. This is an E.L. Moore half-quarter repeater with chain in 18C.

jpg.gif

Attachments

• $ELMoore.jpg
    $ELMoore.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 151

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Here's my 1936 Longines 14K Pocket Watch (engraved with my full name, birthdate and the quote..."A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...a Pocket Watch tells a Story." ). :lol1:

Attached Image - My Pocket Watch attached to a 14K Double, chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic Charms (plus a horse shoe for good luck), attached and has a Catholic 'Mustard Seed' as the Watch Fob.

attachment.php

Pocket Watch Fans...:-D

Pocket Watches....:-D

proxy.php
"A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...a Pocket Watch tells a Story." CBJ

I don't have a pocket watch :sad: but I do have my great-grandfathers 18c pocket watch chain. The story goes when my great-grandfather passed away his watch chain was cut into four, and a section given to each of his four daughters. I have my grandmothers and it has been around my neck for 27 years. I used to work in jewellery manufacturing and had a colleague remove the clasps and solder it closed around my neck.

I just love this watch. I suspect that it actually belonged to my great-great-grandfather. It doesn't work, but I suspect it's perfectly possible to mend it, which I'm going to do as soon as I have the oportunity to wear it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My modest entry. A woman who admired me gave this to me 40 years ago...still runs great....

Attachments

• $1mm 002.jpg
    $1mm 002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 117
I just recently became interested in pocket watches, and am curious if anyone here has knowledge or experience with fusee chain watches? I have been looking at a few and they are a relative bargain considering their age.

This was my Grandfathers war watch. It has a broad arrow stamp on the back, so I guess it was issued to him, and probably carried though Africa. I don't use it, but it does still work. It's nothing fancy, but it's a family heirloom, I guess.

proxy.php

Nice watch, too bad it can't talk. I'd bet it has some stories it could tell!

I just recently became interested in pocket watches, and am curious if anyone here has knowledge or experience with fusee chain watches? I have been looking at a few and they are a relative bargain considering their age.

They can be extremely expensive to repair, they are a fascinating machine though.

A 1908 Hamilton railroad watch. Runs to spec of +/- 30 seconds a week. It is hard to see them all, but the service marks on the inside of the back cover also tell some of the story.

Attachments

• $Hamilton1.jpg
    $Hamilton1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 92
  • $Hamilton2.jpg
    $Hamilton2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 93
  • $Hamilton3.jpg
    $Hamilton3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 92
Not to highjack, but I'm curious as to how a pocket watch is actually worn today. I re-read that sentence and hope it doesn't sound too stupid, but I'm interested in pocket watches and can't figure out how to incorporate one into my wardrobe. My pants don't have watch pockets, and I don't own a vest. Would one simply loop the chain around a belt loop and let the watch bounce around in a front pocket? That seems like a risk to the beautiful pieces shown in this thread. I have no desire to hang anything off of my belt, either.

I'll be watching this thread, too, becuase the watches are beautiful.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Not to highjack, but I'm curious as to how a pocket watch is actually worn today. I re-read that sentence and hope it doesn't sound too stupid, but I'm interested in pocket watches and can't figure out how to incorporate one into my wardrobe. My pants don't have watch pockets, and I don't own a vest. Would one simply loop the chain around a belt loop and let the watch bounce around in a front pocket? That seems like a risk to the beautiful pieces shown in this thread. I have no desire to hang anything off of my belt, either.

I'll be watching this thread, too, becuase the watches are beautiful.
Budgeteer:
Don't feel bad because my Father would say, "The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask". :yesnod:

Since my watch as a clasp with the chain (which I suggest you get), I attach the clasp to my belt loop and put my watch & pen knife in my pocket (because I replaced the glass crystal with a hard plastic crystal [which I also suggest you get],…I’ve had no problem with dust, debris, damages, scratches and/or in the operation / mechanism of my watch). When I wear a vest (with and without a suit), I attach the clasp through the button hole on my vests and put my watch & pen knife in each vest pocket.

As you know, most jeans have a watch / phone / lighter pocket…but I wish they had them on the left rather than the right side.

Other than keeping your watch in your front pocket…then maybe this Thread Pocket Watch Pouch might be of some help. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...a Pocket Watch tells a Story." CBJ

attachment.php

Cell phone occupies a watch pocket

Last edited:
$DSC00775.jpg

This was my Great-Grandfathers Wilhem's Elgin watch. It's still works, though I rarely wear it.

$DSC00776.jpg

This is my "everyday carry", a Cabela's Field watch. Nothing fancy, but it has endured much abuse and still keeps time.

I've posted about my pocket watch in a thread about inherited items. My father gave me my great grand father's pocket watch and fob, an Elgin 97R grade from 1896.

Attachments

• $attachment.jpg
    $attachment.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom