What's new

Show off your user grade razors

I've noticed many posts highlighting mint condition razors and it's great to have them, but razors don't have to be perfect to be functional. I thought it would be nice to show razors that don't look pretty, but provide great shaves. There are a couple in my den that are good examples.

First is a NDC Aristocrat that I got in lot with 3 other razors that I sold individually. The razor is missing endcaps, has a lot of plate loss and the TTO knob could use some tightening. Still shaves about as well as a Red tip though.
20220102_181133.jpg

The other is a Slim adjustable I-2 with a broken clicker and a little plate loss. I calibrated it by moving the adjuster plate as high as it would go and setting the dial at 9. I keep it set at 5 and it shaves great. Thought about getting a replacement part, but it doesn't seem worth the price.
20220102_181300.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Jan 3rd, 2022, ASRazor shave this morning & a very good shave.

Razor: Everready 1914- MFG 1914-17, 1st Gen blade stops, excellent mid range, great audio feed back, just a joy to use and feeling some history to different times.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum, sage & cedarwood. nice scent of Bayrum with some clove + great lather qualities.(misted)
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm boar bristle Ferrari handle, excellent lather generator, soft spilt end hair bristle, nice scrubber + great painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel face cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Everready 1914 with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD, Jan3, 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

user grade.jpg

Yay dirt cheap antique store finds!

The one on top is my 3 piece thick cap Old Type (probably my favorite DE). 1921-1928? A TON of plate loss (if it even was plated..), and as you can see the handle was repaired, circa who knows when. The ball literally spins. I don't know how it hasn't fallen off yet. I don't use the handle, as I have a replica ball end handle that works beautifully with it.

The middle one is my old Wade and Butcher open comb, which is totally a thick cap Old Type dupe. I don't know the year on this one but I've always guessed 1920s. Was able to bend back one of the teeth successfully. The handle is so heavy you can probably chip your tile if you drop it. This razor uses proprietary blades as the pegs on the razor are square in shape (you can tell if you look closely at it), so I usually just use an original Old Type top cap to be able to use it with regular blades. For an Old Type it feels pretty mild, but the kitten has claws with the wrong blade pairing (can you say Shark week??).

The GEM has a ton of plate loss too, but shaves beautifully. The safety bar is a little bent but I've perceived no issue with it during shaves since the cutting angle is so shallow. The other one I saw in the wild had the same issue so I don't know if it was just manufactured that way. I haven't compared mine versus any photos online, and frankly I probably won't. And yes, it's clean lol.

My other vintage razors are in excellent condition. My other Old Type was restored, and my 3 Techs (2 U.K. Spirals and a gold pre-war fat handle) were NOS so looking forward to wearing them in as I continue to use them and age. Maybe one day they will be found at an antique shop in similar condition with a ton of character and stories to tell too :)

View attachment 1388332
Yay dirt cheap antique store finds!

The one on top is my 3 piece thick cap Old Type (probably my favorite DE). 1921-1928? A TON of plate loss (if it even was plated..), and as you can see the handle was repaired, circa who knows when. The ball literally spins. I don't know how it hasn't fallen off yet. I don't use the handle, as I have a replica ball end handle that works beautifully with it.

The middle one is my old Wade and Butcher open comb, which is totally a thick cap Old Type dupe. I don't know the year on this one but I've always guessed 1920s. Was able to bend back one of the teeth successfully. The handle is so heavy you can probably chip your tile if you drop it. This razor uses proprietary blades as the pegs on the razor are square in shape (you can tell if you look closely at it), so I usually just use an original Old Type top cap to be able to use it with regular blades. For an Old Type it feels pretty mild, but the kitten has claws with the wrong blade pairing (can you say Shark week??).

The GEM has a ton of plate loss too, but shaves beautifully. The safety bar is a little bent but I've perceived no issue with it during shaves since the cutting angle is so shallow. The other one I saw in the wild had the same issue so I don't know if it was just manufactured that way. I haven't compared mine versus any photos online, and frankly I probably won't. And yes, it's clean lol.

My other vintage razors are in excellent condition. My other Old Type was restored, and my 3 Techs (2 U.K. Spirals and a gold pre-war fat handle) were NOS so looking forward to wearing them in as I continue to use them and age. Maybe one day they will be found at an antique shop in similar condition with a ton of character and stories to tell too :)
Some really nice hardware on this thread. I have both restored and user grade razors (DE, SE and injector). I like them all, but you have to love a user grade razor that's 60, 70 or 80 years old, has some plating loss and still does an excellent job for you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Tue, Jan 4th, 2021

Razor: Everready 1924,(AKA shovel head)- mfg 1924-33, mid range, well constructed razor, loads from the back, usually a enjoyable shave. Handle is from a Eveready Streamliner strop, great grip and just works well with this razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(7)- very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Ach Brito Lavanda cream, pleasant mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 26mm lucky dice Tuxedo knot+ Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber, great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Ach Brito Lavada AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Everready 1924 with a coated Gem.
SOTD, Jan 4, 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I've noticed many posts highlighting mint condition razors and it's great to have them, but razors don't have to be perfect to be functional. I thought it would be nice to show razors that don't look pretty, but provide great shaves. There are a couple in my den that are good examples.

First is a NDC Aristocrat that I got in lot with 3 other razors that I sold individually. The razor is missing endcaps, has a lot of plate loss and the TTO knob could use some tightening. Still shaves about as well as a Red tip though.
View attachment 1388238

The other is a Slim adjustable I-2 with a broken clicker and a little plate loss. I calibrated it by moving the adjuster plate as high as it would go and setting the dial at 9. I keep it set at 5 and it shaves great. Thought about getting a replacement part, but it doesn't seem worth the price.
View attachment 1388244
I swear if i didn't know better I'd say that is the same aristocrat I own. its damn near identical condition and all

A few years ago I got a cheap Tech that looked like it was dug up from
grandpa's Grave. Dirty, scummy and corroded, I was only interested in the bakelite handle. It cleaned up to be less ugly, and good enough to try a shave. My expectations were low, but before tossing the head, I had to give it a try.
The shave was impressive enough that I re-nickeled the cap & bottom plate and kept it together with that handle.
I still pull it out for a shave and am never disappointed with the results:
Re-nickled Bakelite Pre War 2.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would just post what you have and in the way you want to show your razor in the SOTD thread.
I usually take a photo before shaving, not sure if people really want to see stubble leftovers.

Seems to become more an antiquities thread.

Top Bottom