What's new

Show off your Swedish Steel axes

For christmas I was given my brother in laws name for gift exchange, and he is really into axes. Specifically Swedish axes. After doing research to find him one, I have become a little enamored with them. Since we're a bunch of enablers, i want you to send me a picture of YOUR swedish axes so i can drool over them. Also since i also love these tools for their history, tell me what you know about them if you know it. What has your axe been through? Has it been a rough life? Was it adopted from a family member? Is it a rescue?

My curiosity abounds.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No pics at the moment, as they're stashed away, but I have a Gransfors Bruks Forest Axe and Wildlife Hatchet. They're both great axes that served me well, they were bought new, and mostly used for processing firewood when I had a narrowboat with a woodburning range and multifuel stove onboard.

One winter, I ended up stopping on the boat for 2.1/2 weeks in temperatures down to -17C, as my car was buried up to the windows in snow, and about 100 metres from the road, and where I worked was walking distance from the boat. Those two axes and a cheap splitting maul, kept me warm, fed, and melted snow for washing me, the pots, and my laundry.

Sadly I can't use them anymore (spinal issues).

246CA2C9-E57B-4FDC-854D-96BA351879E2.jpeg

Here are my Swedish axes/mauls shown with their American counterparts.
The Swedes are made by Hults Bruk (some are re-branded Husqvarna). The redheads are from Council Tool (NC).
The Estwing on the far left is my first ever chopping tool. It is now the unofficial property of my 5 year old grandson...and yes, he knows how to use it.

Top Bottom