What's new

Show off your Suita: The other JNAT

So I have been collecting a few Suita for awhile and felt like these stones stand in a different realm than your usual JNATS. I didn't see a Thread for them so thought I would start with a family shot. They all have razor finishing qualities, but some are harder than others and one is really just a knife/polishing stone due to large Su and that is what I bought for.
IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG
Very nice stones. Is that karasu in the middle a Suita? The stone under that definiatly looks like an intresting bird for sure.

Here's my contribution. Accually, I picked this up from a member of the forum here. Its an Okudo Renge Hon Suita. Very hard, Suita wise at least. Does not self slurry, which is nice when your looking for max refinement. With a tomo slurry the cutting speed is very fast for how fine this stone is. I have finished razors on it, super smooth edges. But, in terms of sheer keeness my most of my Awasedo stones will coax a little more from the steel. For cutlery it is a phenomenal finishing stone to say the least. swarf with very few strokes on a good suita tomo slurry.

View attachment 838688 Very nice stones. Is that karasu in the middle a Suita? The stone under that definiatly looks like an intresting bird for sure.

Here's my contribution. Accually, I picked this up from a member of the forum here. Its an Okudo Renge Hon Suita. Very hard, Suita wise at least. Does not self slurry, which is nice when your looking for max refinement. With a tomo slurry the cutting speed is very fast for how fine this stone is. I have finished razors on it, super smooth edges. But, in terms of sheer keeness my most of my Awasedo stones will coax a little more from the steel. For cutlery it is a phenomenal finishing stone to say the least. swarf with very few strokes on a good suita tomo slurry.

Thanks,

The Karasu is a suita. It is a Narutaki Tenjyou layer I believe. I looked a lot and the only suita with Karasu I could find that was labeled for the mine all came from Narutaki. I assume it occurred in other mines, but maybe the ones that look like this are more specific to Narutaki.
The stone under it was said to be from Shobudani and that pattern is Kuro(black) renge. I thought it was going to be more a knife stone, but turned out to be a very smooth fine consistent stone with velvety creamy slurry leaving a very nice shaving edge. Plus I love the 38mm thickness on a hand held barber size stone.

That Okudo renge hon suita is a real beauty and sounds like it gives the same type of edge as the karasu I have. The two kiita ones are incredibly hard suita that will rival any of my other finishers.

Me.Tee,

You had asked about the interesting bird. I had the Kuro renge out playing with it some so snapped a few shots.

IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG

The more I use suita the more I love adding one to my progression. It seems to increase the closeness of my shave. I need to be careful with this though as going to far will over exfoliate leaving dry flaking the next day.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
IMG_4157.JPG
I think this is my only one. Unknown mine. Great hardness with outstanding speed. With water only steel rolls right off and with a little slurry the stone turns black quickly. This is pretty much all I use on my kitchen knives

Nice stone David. That is what I love about suita they are so vercital. Razors, knives, bevel to mid range and some are even very nice finishers for razors too. They remind me a lot of coticules and some even give a similar edge with a jnat twist. That speed though is what makes them great for knives. Sounds like yours is a superior grade knife stone.

You ever set a razor bevel on it?

Uchigumori1.jpeg

Picked up a old school Uchigumori with the old saw marks on the one side and a nice kawa living edge on the other. It is around 7.5” x 4.2” x .7” and 540grams I lapped both sides and it took some lapping to get the one side flat as it was convex. I believe this was used with swords at one time. Leaves a really nice finish on razors giving a very smooth shave.
Some more outside photos wet and dry.
Uchigumor3.jpeg Uchigumor4.jpeg Uchigumor5.jpeg Uchigumor6.jpeg Uchigumor9.jpeg Uchigumor10.jpeg Uchigumor11.jpeg Uchigumor12.jpeg

How do you like your Uchi? Im intrested in picking one up. Maybe on the medium to slightly softer side in terms of hardness, as I already have a very hard suita.

How do you like your Uchi? Im intrested in picking one up. Maybe on the medium to slightly softer side in terms of hardness, as I already have a very hard suita.

I think this one is on the harder side so I would call it a Jito. My problem is I don't know where the limit of Hato hard is vs a softer Jito. This one does not slurry easily and matches up well with a known Jito tomo. Now neither one is as hard as my really hard suita. I have one that is like ivory hard.
I find it to be faster than I thought it would be, which is a good plus. I am really liking the edges from this one. Very smooth and polished. Giving nice contrast to my old Orihi kamasori which is Tamahagane steel and also to my Japanese damascus White Paper #2 high carbon steel knives. It will increase the smooth and sharp on most of my edges too. I also have been trying what Steve and Alex suggested. Doing a few dry laps on the stone for final finish. It is usually done I think on the softer stones, but I find it works on this one too. Tends to bump up the sharp HHT a bit. I am still trying different things, but I really like it. Plus the pink/Purple slurry really shows the swarf so you know it is working visually plus feel.

Cool, and thanks. Ideally, I’d like to find one that just barely self slurries under moderate knife pressure. Maybe a year ago, perhaps somewhat less, Keith had an awesome slab in his shop. Like stupid, stupid, clean and homogeneous. I still kick myself for not moving on that one. How hard it was, I dont remember. But I would be willing to bet that it or any Uchi are softer than my hon suita, which is the gap im looking to fill.

Good morning boys and girls [emoji12]

Well as I perhaps know in the circuits I'm called the suita king
I just love em...
Soft and hard, big or small, chipped or flat, doesn't matter at all [emoji7]

Down below is a stone I bought a few years back, a okudo suita. This particular okudo suita is hard as hell but fine as it can get.

I have quite a few suitas under my belt nowadays so more pictures will come up when I find the pictures scattered around in my hard drives and tablets.

proxy.php

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

929F2B26-6402-4EFB-AE76-DA05BB4BA67A.jpeg
479B3B7D-50F4-4658-838A-407ED635B495.jpeg
So got my first Suita in Today it was sold to me as a Shinden Suita

I am going to try to lapp the bottom (top picture)looks to have more honing room if I succeed

So earlier this week i got this Suita, and the first picture is the side the seller used.
But i thought
20190608_152532.jpg
20190608_132442.jpg
20190608_152521.jpg
maybe lapp the bottom to have more honing room.
Picture 2 is the starting point, after 1,5 hour with my Atoma 400 it is all smooth see picture 3
Now to let it dry and the seal the side with nailpolish.

Kamp suita are fun stones. Definitely try both sides though. Sometimes one side will be better than the other or harder or softer than the other.

Okudo Suita - a giant that Im just getting acquainted with as of today. I have several Shinden and a few Ohira suita. Sorry to keep posting it but Im so excited and no one else in my life understands my new pet rock and my infatuation. Its like AA for Jnat people.
IMG_1905.jpeg

One of my Shinden suita stones - (1285 grams) It hones very well but is different from all the other suita I have and looks completely different from the other Shinden suita stones I have. If ever there was a painted fake stone - but it does hone well. The entire stone is white and orange/red. I admit I'm very suspicious about the stone but I got it from a source I trust, perhaps misplaced trust, but currently, I trust.

IMG_1944.jpeg

Top Bottom