What's new

Show off your DE/SE Travel Kit

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Greetings B&B'ers! So I occasionally travel -- sometimes for work, often for pleasure -- and sometimes in a plane, but often in a car. As the title suggest, I'd really love it for folks to weigh in with their shaving travel setup -- pictures are ALWAYS appreciated, but I'd take a verbal description if you're not the photography-type.

A few comments before I trot out my most recent travel setup:
  1. If flying, I always put my blades in checked luggage, but I put my razors in my carry-on. I know it's paranoia, but I live in fear that someone will "lift" one of my vintage razors from my checked bag; so I don't check anything I don't mind walking away. Sadly, this means that I rarely do air travel with an injector (even though I LOVE them -- by the way, if you do as well, then consider being a SISSIE (Society of Injector Shavers (the SISSIES))
  2. I tend to over-pack....it's just my nature. So I usually take an extra razor(s), brushes, and soaps -- I know that I could travel lighter, but I really like variety (helps explain my RAD, BAD and SAD):)
  3. Since I like variety, I'll take pretty much whatever I feel like using (lather catchers, other vintage SE's, DE's, Injectors, whatever strikes my fancy)
Here's my last road-trip setup:
3 soaps: An Arko stick that has been re-formatted into a deodorant container (easy to do and works well), a sample container with some Palmolive cream, and a sample container with some Geo F Trumper's Lime cream. A former spray container with Thayers' Rose Witch Hazel (WH) and a small container of my favorite AS (Krampert's Finest Bay Rum) which also acts a face-nourisher. The blue pouch is give-away they used to give you on Swiss Air when you flew business class -- it used to hold a face mask, slipper-socks and other small items. I use it for other stuff, you can see that picture below.
IMG_1939.jpg

The pouch is always used to hold the razor(s), small brush (Maggard's 18mm), and alum block:
IMG_1941.jpg

The razors on this road-trip were the Schick Eversharp Ladies Fashion Razor (Type H aka the "Hussy"), and a Schick L1 with a Japanese Twin Injector Blade.
IMG_1942.jpg

Lastly, I took an extra brush -- My 24mm Yaqi Moka.
IMG_1943.jpg IMG_1944.jpg
The extra brush, soaps, WH, AS ride in a gallon sized bag (not pictured). As mentioned, when flying I usually take a SE's and/or DE's. The razors would go into the blue travel pouch and into a carry-on; and the blades will go into a prescription bottle (like the one used for the brushes) and into the checked bag.

Okay, I've shown you mine -- what's yours? Do you take more than one razor, and do you take the same or different razors? Same question on brushes and soaps (just one, a couple, the same ones for every trip or different ones depending on the trip)?

This is part of it. The important stuff. Can't remember the case name, think it's a Parker. Razor is a Timeless Titanium .95OC, Feather or Astra SP blades and a Simpson Wee Scot brush. Then it depends on what size of bag I use as to what soap, AS, Balm and Cologne I bring
20190209_165342.jpg

When I travel for work normally is by plane and with a carry on only, so my gear on the Dopp bag is a Col. Conk Trac II handle and some carts, a Palmolive stick and an Omega Synth. When I travel for pleasure I go in my car, so I switch the Trac II to a Gillette Tech and some blades. The Palmolive goes on this Colgate canister.

IMG_Femme_20190410_172355_processed.jpg
IMG_20190410_172512_800.jpg

IMG_Breakfast_20190611_194829_processed.jpg

Cheers

Flintstone65

This is part of it. The important stuff. Can't remember the case name, think it's a Parker. Razor is a Timeless Titanium .95OC, Feather or Astra SP blades and a Simpson Wee Scot brush. Then it depends on what size of bag I use as to what soap, AS, Balm and Cologne I bringView attachment 999856

Love the case, and the razor, and the Wee Scot -- just a great setup!

When I travel for work normally is by plane and with a carry on only, so my gear on the Dopp bag is a Col. Conk Trac II handle and some carts, a Palmolive stick and an Omega Synth. When I travel for pleasure I go in my car, so I switch the Trac II to a Gillette Tech and some blades. The Palmolive goes on this Colgate canister.

View attachment 999857 View attachment 999858
View attachment 999859
Nice setup. I really like those vintage canisters, and the case looks a good fit!!!

Thanks to both of you for sharing your travel kits!

I recently upgraded to a higher mil plastic bag:
6CCC7645-E72C-49F7-8D8F-E38B0E6B3773.jpeg

Here are the key items for the kind of guy who, when traveling, sleeps in highway rest areas surrounded by moist ski gear in the back of a van. And shaves in ski lodge restrooms.
> 4 piece travel Old Type
> a few random blades, nothing I would use at home
> Omega 11047 mixed midget in the obligatory pill bottle
> Arko stick - can be used as smelling salts if a fair maiden faints at the top of a double diamond
> a shard of the True Styptic
> user grade washcloth and face towel
Skier Acceptable Shave every time!
133CC0F6-CB5A-42FD-83D1-F83D81773FB6.jpeg

Flintstone65

I recently upgraded to a higher mil plastic bag:
View attachment 999882
Here are the key items for the kind of guy who, when traveling, sleeps in highway rest areas surrounded by moist ski gear in the back of a van. And shaves in ski lodge restrooms.
> 4 piece travel Old Type
> a few random blades, nothing I would use at home
> Omega 11047 mixed midget in the obligatory pill bottle
> Arko stick - can be used as smelling salts if a fair maiden faints at the top of a double diamond
> a shard of the True Styptic
> user grade washcloth and face towel
Skier Acceptable Shave every time!
View attachment 999881
Very functional -- I like it! It's been well-over a decade since I've skied, but that would have definitely been my choice of gear as well. I've got a bakelite travel razor that looks like that (came in a BST lot long ago) -- I really need to break it out and give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

This is part of it. The important stuff. Can't remember the case name, think it's a Parker. Razor is a Timeless Titanium .95OC, Feather or Astra SP blades and a Simpson Wee Scot brush. Then it depends on what size of bag I use as to what soap, AS, Balm and Cologne I bringView attachment 999856

View attachment 999857 View attachment 999858
View attachment 999859

Cheers

Classy travel minimalism, gentlemen. :001_wub:

Fred, I’m picturing your ideal travel as a world cruise on the USS United States, with at least one, but more likely three, steamer trunks of shaving gear. :001_rolle

Flintstone65

Classy travel minimalism, gentlemen. :001_wub:

Fred, I’m picturing your ideal travel as a world cruise on the USS United States, with at least one, but more likely three, steamer trunks of shaving gear. :001_rolle
You know me too well, sir! :lol1: Although the gear I detailed above is what I took on a recent trip to Colorado for hiking and white water rafting. After facing down multiple class 4 rapids, I was ready for a Schick L1 injector shave. Admittedly, I was staying with my wife’s relatives in an awesome house nestled in a valley between two mountain ranges.

I tend to take a lot of things but I keep them small. I got back from a week in Puerto Rico on Wednesday. Shaving wise this is what I took--
20190718_183500.jpg
The proraso travel brush goes in the medicine bottle perfectly. BTW-I love this brush.
The Proraso preshave and balm came in the travel kit with the brush. I just refill them after a trip.
The small black container came with a sample of Lush shaving soap which went in the trash. It's now full of Proraso green soap.
The spoon for scooping soap.
Captain's Choice Lime, Clubman Special Reserve Aftershaves (sample sizes)
Mugler Amen Cologne sample.
Gillette Travel Tech with a 2 part handle and an Astra SP.
It all sits on a microfiber cloth for wiping and cleaning the hardware.

Flintstone65

I tend to take a lot of things but I keep them small. I got back from a week in Puerto Rico on Wednesday. Shaving wise this is what I took--
View attachment 1000098
The proraso travel brush goes in the medicine bottle perfectly. BTW-I love this brush.
The Proraso preshave and balm came in the travel kit with the brush. I just refill them after a trip.
The small black container came with a sample of Lush shaving soap which went in the trash. It's now full of Proraso green soap.
The spoon for scooping soap.
Captain's Choice Lime, Clubman Special Reserve Aftershaves (sample sizes)
Mugler Amen Cologne sample.
Gillette Travel Tech with a 2 part handle and an Astra SP.
It all sits on a microfiber cloth for wiping and cleaning the hardware.
Take a lot, but keep it small -- good philosophy, and great execution! Thanks for sharing it with us!!! Looks like the travel tech is a popular choice, and I can see why you love the brush -- it looks like a workhorse (or perhaps I should say workboar).

My weekender/carry-on kit. There’s some spare cufflinks and collar tabs, and tweezers in the bottom I didn’t unpack. Speick in the tin. I also pack a travel strop that fits in its own tin that’s about fist sized. It’s a Tom Bihn clear cube that counts as a clear bag for screening. I’ve done two weeks out of it. Straights/feather comes out if I talk to the TSA.

9E1D8005-18DA-4D11-A048-329EABCCAA3C.jpeg

Packed:

4DBC0011-D3DF-41E1-99C3-D011EB164C6E.jpeg

I’ve also got an LL Bean hanging travel bag I can work out of for months, loaded up.

I have a Tumi travel bag that is always packed. My shaving equipment consists of a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush, a Red Tip Razor, presently a Klar soap and a tube of cream, WH, AS, ASB, razor blades, an alum block, and a styptic pencil. Now that I am retired and travel with my wife, I always pack my bags so there is no issue with blades.
full

Flintstone65

My weekender/carry-on kit. There’s some spare cufflinks and collar tabs, and tweezers in the bottom I didn’t unpack. Speick in the tin. I also pack a travel strop that fits in its own tin that’s about fist sized. It’s a Tom Bihn clear cube that counts as a clear bag for screening. I’ve done two weeks out of it. Straights/feather comes out if I talk to the TSA.

View attachment 1000356

Packed:

View attachment 1000357

I’ve also got an LL Bean hanging travel bag I can work out of for months, loaded up.
A traveling straight?!? That is AWESOME!!! Really nice kit...and I just checked out the LL Bean hanging toiletry bag, very cool!

Flintstone65

I have a Tumi travel bag that is always packed. My shaving equipment consists of a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush, a Red Tip Razor, presently a Klar soap and a tube of cream, WH, AS, ASB, razor blades, an alum block, and a styptic pencil. Now that I am retired and travel with my wife, I always pack my bags so there is no issue with blades.
full
I'm a big fan of Tumi luggage/bags -- and I really like your choice of razor and brush! Thanks for sharing, Jim!!!

B4ED3C18-7045-4C81-9D39-6AFA413EE913.jpeg
Generally speaking, it’s the following
Razor: Parker A1R
Brush: Proraso branded Omega Bambino (in Simpson tube)
Soap: Either La Toja stick, or random soap sample
Aftershave: Stirling Sample

Flintstone65

View attachment 1000386 Generally speaking, it’s the following
Razor: Parker A1R
Brush: Proraso branded Omega Bambino (in Simpson tube)
Soap: Either La Toja stick, or random soap sample
Aftershave: Stirling Sample

That being said, I recently came across a site (thirstybadger) that has part files for 3D printing of altoids tin inserts (like my 6c), which also hold a few blades and even had a spot for a used blade bank. Some time on a 3D printer later, and I may swap my Parker with this on some trips.
That Proraso Bambino is a popular travel brush....and La Toja is one of my favorite travel sticks! I'll also be checking out that thirstybadger site, that insert is VERY cool!!!

went super minimal here altoids mini tin and travel brush the mini container with shave soap not pictured is about as big around as a quarter. old empty eye drop bottles for AS. it all fits into one of the single sandwich boxes or smaller depending where im going.

Top Bottom