What's new

Show me your smoker set up

Gents and ladies alike,

My wife surprised me on Christmas morning with a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5. I was honestly stunned. I’ve always wanted one but it was just an after thought. I’ve been watching youtube videos like crazy, mostly T-Roy Cooks. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I’ve ordered wood chunks (mesquite and hickory 4 lbs bags), a compact chimney starter and snagged a bag of kingsford blue charcoal. (That‘s what my dad always uses and that’s what I’ll be using.) There’s a few other goodies I’ll be picking up, but I’d like a decent thermometer with probes to measure temps on the grate, as well as the meat I’ll be cooking- so suggestions welcome. (Also, I’m in Canada, so some items may not be available here.)

I’d love to see your set ups.

Here she is. Assembled as soon as I opened it.

AFEBDE22-A7C6-4A83-84C5-BA9023EFE7F1.jpeg

Gents and ladies alike,

My wife surprised me on Christmas morning with a Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5. I was honestly stunned. I’ve always wanted one but it was just an after thought. I’ve been watching youtube videos like crazy, mostly T-Roy Cooks. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I’ve ordered wood chunks (mesquite and hickory 4 lbs bags), a compact chimney starter and snagged a bag of kingsford blue charcoal. (That‘s what my dad always uses and that’s what I’ll be using.) There’s a few other goodies I’ll be picking up, but I’d like a decent thermometer with probes to measure temps on the grate, as well as the meat I’ll be cooking- so suggestions welcome. (Also, I’m in Canada, so some items may not be available here.)

I’d love to see your set ups.

Here she is. Assembled as soon as I opened it.

View attachment 1202047
I would be jealous, but next week I will probably be starting the HMR Weight Loss Program. I won’t be eating anything that they don’t provide for some time.

I will try to take a picture tomorrow. I currently have a turkey for the smoker, but need to see if it is defrosted in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You got this brother. BBQ and smokers will always be around. Health and fitness is a must.
I expect I do. I have yet to find anyone that has failed on the HMR program. I’m 130 pounds overweight, have atherosclerosis and my last blood test indicated pre diabetes. So I really have two choices, take control or die sooner than I should.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It took me a moment to figure out what all the white stuff is!!
Great job!
Good luck!!

Cheap stick burners are WAY underrated. Pretty is as pretty does. I'd bet that thing turns out better barbecue than cookers that cost several times or more.

It took me years to figure out good smoke vs bad smoke. The conflicting requirements of needing to keep the cooker temps low but the fire burning hot. One of the reasons why I don't have a ceramic cooker any more. Hard to get good smoke with low and slow on those.

Weber makes good stuff. I think you'll be happy with it.

Here's my old, cheap Char-Griller stick burner. Once I got it sealed up good it holds temps. well.

View attachment 1203231

Aaron Franklin has a lot of videos on youtube.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
WSMs are great! I also used a big offset for over twenty years. Did lots of big cooks. It would handle seven briskets and four turkeys at one time. Empty nesting now and semi-retired out in the sticks. I've landed on the happy medium, an 'Ugly Drum Smoker' made from a 55 gal drum. Super efficient and the Q is every bit as good as anything else that I've used.

Here's the ol' standby and the current producer.

IMG_1057.JPG
37010CAE-D878-410F-AA5D-9530F07619A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom