What's new

Show me your Shavemac D01

Here are pics of my D01 2 band with 18mm knot and 48mm loft. It's a great little brush.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here are my D01, and flat top two band D01. The best picture I have of them is still the one Bernd took for me, sorry its not post bloom, but you get the idea.

proxy.php

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here is mine, its an extreme Flattop and the handle I made from Sambar stag antler. My favorite brush, no other brush maker's hair quality come close. I have two more knots for myself, and hope can make brushes for me soon.

Attachments

• $IMG_1497.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 515
Is there a functional difference with the flattop or is it an aesthetic thing? I've been thinking of getting a D01 as my next brush.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I've figured it out - face lathering, neh?

Last edited:
Hair looks wet/clumped in the top down. Got a dry pic? I'm curious about the density of the two bands, since the 3 bands are so dense.

The 2-band IS the densest brush I own. It is by far my favorite brush, though the Rooney 1/2 Finest I just picked up is right behind (sold my 1/1 and be honest when I owned it I wondered what all the fuss about the Rooney Finest was, but the 1/2 came through big).

Back on topic - here is my 2-band extreme flat top. I think dimensions are 24mm x 43mm loft (it is one scrubby face lathering machine with the softest, silkiest tips of any brush I've ever used).

Used to be a Simpson fan, but shavemac is now my numero uno.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks Harvitz. Brush looks great. I'm going to have to snag one eventually, but I'll probably go with a little more loft. I'm thinking 46ish mm extreme flat, since I tend to like 48-52mm lofts and from what Loric's told me, the extreme flat should be set a bit lower than other assembly's due to the shorter outer hairs not being there.

Thanks Harvitz. Brush looks great. I'm going to have to snag one eventually, but I'll probably go with a little more loft. I'm thinking 46ish mm extreme flat, since I tend to like 48-52mm lofts and from what Loric's told me, the extreme flat should be set a bit lower than other assembly's due to the shorter outer hairs not being there.

I'm tempted to get one with a longer loft as well. I pretty much reach for this one most days and it has at least allowed me to thin the herd of brushes.

I actually asked for a 45-46mm loft after changing my mind several times, but my initially email said something like 43mm. Bernd must have just went with the original specs, but I don't mind as it is a great brush.

Am trying really hard to hold off buying a brother to this one of the 3-band D01 extreme flat top with a longer loft to compare.

Hair looks wet/clumped in the top down. Got a dry pic? I'm curious about the density of the two bands, since the 3 bands are so dense.

Hah! You are absolutely correct. I had just finished using it when I saw the thread. I'll try to get a dry one this afternoon.

Here you go, Ian.

Here are a couple of pics with the brush.. umm.. dry. :blush: It's really dense for a little fella. Kind of like me. :biggrin1:

proxy.php
proxy.php

This 2 Band was paired with a Rudy Vey beehive. dims 25.7 / 47.9mm. A first class brush that lathers anything put in front of it.

proxy.php

I am not sure if it is a DO1 ?

Last edited:
Here is mine, its an extreme Flattop and the handle I made from Sambar stag antler. My favorite brush, no other brush maker's hair quality come close. I have two more knots for myself, and hope can make brushes for me soon.

Rudy, if your brushes were not so nice (the antler brush proves this) we would stop bothering you and let you do your own work :tongue_sm :thumbup1::lol:

What knot size and loft is yours? Do you think the flat tops are good at standard loft or do you think slightly lower is better for a flat top?

no other brush maker's hair quality come close.

I just got my first knot from Bernd - the construction and hair is exceptionally impressive... so much different than anything else I've seen. Not that my experience is all that great mind you... still, Bernds knot is sooooo much different than what I've seen that it almost seems like I should call it badger-plus or something.

BTW - that brush is quite a gorgeous piece... I would like to make a brush for myself with a bone or antler handle, yours will be my inspiration.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy, if your brushes were not so nice (the antler brush proves this) we would stop bothering you and let you do your own work :tongue_sm :thumbup1::lol:

What knot size and loft is yours? Do you think the flat tops are good at standard loft or do you think slightly lower is better for a flat top?

19 mm at 41 mm loft. I like to set the loft for the extreme flattops a bit lower, like:
18-19: 40-43
20-21: 42-47
22-23: 45-50

Personally, I would not go over 22 mm knot size, as this brush type has a lot of hair in your face. I have made one with a 24 mm knot, and this is huge!! I think one would need a standard brush with well over 30 mm knot to be even close to it. In my opinion, the EXFT (extreme Flattop) type of brush is a perfect face lather brush, and I would say, 16 -24 mm is the range, and 19-22 is the sweet spot - for me, YMMV.

Oh man, I thought I had found all the brush I ever needed in a couple Semogue boars...

This thread is making me think twice.

Top Bottom