What's new

Show me your best DE razor restoration!

E7CB5E94-8796-4F54-BE7D-1022F52623BB.jpeg

This has to be my proudest restoration. A 1958 D-3 Gillette Fatboy I bought at an antique store. I scrubbed it with soap, water, a gun cleaning brush, and polished it all down. The first photo is actually post cleaning.
It’s my personal highest valued restoration as well…

Show me what you’ve got fellas! I’m eager to see those beautiful restorations!

Not my best, but my proudest.
Something about a double ring, I couldn't go for a mirror shine.

But what a nice restoration, I love the double ring myself, they’re a great looking razor. I can’t wait to add one to the collection. Sometimes a I like one with character as much as a mirror shine and I think it has just the right amount of character. That makes me want a double ring.

But what a nice restoration, I love the double ring myself, they’re a great looking razor. I can’t wait to add one to the collection. Sometimes a I like one with character as much as a mirror shine and I think it has just the right amount of character. That makes me want a double ring.
Thanks, they're rather aggressive. Like they say, Gillette got it right the first time!
...and the second and third time. After that, marketing took over engineering lol!

SOTD shot for fun.
20220820_194054.jpg

Pretty beat up SR. Still havent got around to fixing crack. Some day.
View attachment 1534818
I have a single ring that’s done pretty much the same thing. There’s a thread on here about how to fix those cracked handles, may have seen it. Still haven't fixed mine. You can buy replacement replica handles but… to me that just ruins the authenticity and value. But a nice turnaround you have there!

Thanks. Ive done a few handles but not one cracked the whole way through yet. The other handles with partial split closed up easily with a clamp, but the SR required a bit more force so may anneal it first. One of these days.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
View attachment 1530245

This has to be my proudest restoration. A 1958 D-3 Gillette Fatboy I bought at an antique store. I scrubbed it with soap, water, a gun cleaning brush, and polished it all down. The first photo is actually post cleaning.

View attachment 1530245

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I really like Fat Boys.

My most recent restoration was a 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech.

Before
20220929_152954 (1).jpg20220929_153038.jpg20220929_152927.jpg

After
20221010_175932.jpg20221010_175020.jpg20221010_175215.jpg20221010_180209.jpg

There is very slight plating loss on the handle knurling, but otherwise the razor looks and functions like new.

Soaked in hot water & dawn, toothbrushed with scrubbing bubbles a few minutes, one round in the ultrasonic cleaner and final polish with Flitz.

Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I really like Fat Boys.

My most recent restoration was a 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech.

Before
View attachment 1537069View attachment 1537071View attachment 1537073

After
View attachment 1537075View attachment 1537076View attachment 1537077View attachment 1537082

There is very slight plating loss on the handle knurling, but otherwise the razor looks and functions like new.

Soaked in hot water & dawn, toothbrushed with scrubbing bubbles a few minutes, one round in the ultrasonic cleaner and final polish with Flitz.

Wow! That’s quite nice. I have a ranger tech that needs the works. That’s an awesome result… I really need to acquire an ultrasonic cleaner myself. I’ve heard so much good about them.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Wow! That’s quite nice. I have a ranger tech that needs the works. That’s an awesome result… I really need to acquire an ultrasonic cleaner myself. I’ve heard so much good about them.
Actually, I think the only thing the ultrasonic cleaner did was clean crud out of the internals. The outside was already pretty shiny before that step.
Thanks, they're rather aggressive. Like they say, Gillette got it right the first time!
...and the second and third time. After that, marketing took over engineering lol!

SOTD shot for fun.
View attachment 1530383

Nice! That razor looks like something King Arthur shaved with. :)

I see another Sir Hare soap fan! I like it myself as well.

Actually, I think the only thing the ultrasonic cleaner did was clean crud out of the internals. The outside was already pretty shiny before that step.

Nice! That razor looks like something King Arthur shaved with. :)

I see another Sir Hare soap fan! I like it myself as well.
A buddy sent me the Sir Hair... he wasn't a fan. I like it fine, but chiseled face Sherlock and henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigar are my favorites.

Here's a Bulldog in process, another one I was picking the tarnish off with my finger nails before I could even get started. What's left of the case was in pieces as well, good as that will get...
1665513759064961213944758675158.jpg

Top Bottom