What's new

Shovelhead....not for the faint

So this morning I pulled out a shovelhead I haven't used in a long, long time. For reference, I shave with a straight razor about half the time. The other half of shaves are split, about 75% DE and 25% GEM and AC razors. My favorite GEM razor is the MMOC.

Well, I have to say, the shovelhead is a really aggressive shaver! I mean, I shaved with an early 20th century American straight razor yesterday, and the shovelhead was a bit more intimidating. Efficient, yes. But keep a light touch on this baby and watch your angle! I got a good shave and only lost a bit of blood, lol (a tiny weeper on the left side of the chin).

I'm going to try a GEM Junior I have sitting in a drawer somewhere tomorrow (the one with the fat plastic handle). I'll see how it does. My wife bought it for me at an antique store, and if I recall correctly I've only tried it once.

Anybody out there have/use the shovelhead? Also interested to see if anybody has tried it or uses it on an aftermarket handle.

So this morning I pulled out a shovelhead I haven't used in a long, long time. For reference, I shave with a straight razor about half the time. The other half of shaves are split, about 75% DE and 25% GEM and AC razors. My favorite GEM razor is the MMOC.

Well, I have to say, the shovelhead is a really aggressive shaver! I mean, I shaved with an early 20th century American straight razor yesterday, and the shovelhead was a bit more intimidating. Efficient, yes. But keep a light touch on this baby and watch your angle! I got a good shave and only lost a bit of blood, lol (a tiny weeper on the left side of the chin).

I'm going to try a GEM Junior I have sitting in a drawer somewhere tomorrow (the one with the fat plastic handle). I'll see how it does. My wife bought it for me at an antique store, and if I recall correctly I've only tried it once.

Anybody out there have/use the shovelhead? Also interested to see if anybody has tried it or uses it on an aftermarket handle.

I used the MMOC as a primer for a shavette

Yup.

IMG_20190515_114601-01.jpg
IMG_20190515_114734-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jmudrick, thanks for chiming in and for posting those pics. Sweet looking aftermarkets handles! I'm especially fond of the one in the second picture. Who made that handle, where did you get it, and how much did it cost? It looks like a Karve product.

Any idea why the SH might be more than MMOC?
You mean more aggressive? Or scarier? Or do you mean more expensive?

It's more aggressive and scarier to me for a couple of reasons: 1) A pretty wide portion of the blade sticks out from under the cover, 2) the blade exposure is greater.

I think there is quite a bit of movement of the blade as you shave. It's ridiculously loud, but part of that is because the blade is housed in an echo chamber.

jmudrick, thanks for chiming in and for posting those pics. Sweet looking aftermarkets handles! I'm especially fond of the one in the second picture. Who made that handle, where did you get it, and how much did it cost? It looks like a Karve product.
Yep, it's a 3 inch Karve handle, perfect fit and look for my plateless 1924..$37.20 USD

I don't find the Shovelhead at all scary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
24942C3C-F47B-40BC-AED8-E05FAA30C04E.jpeg
It’s been a while since I’ve picked up my shovel head, not for any reason other than I’ve got too many razors. I remember being pleasantly surprised by this razor, but I’m drawn to blade feel, loud audio, and razors that lean towards aggression.

I also really liked it with a DE handle. I used a 10/32 set screw in the handle, and it works great with the shovel head’s head.

I have 2 of them in my den. I do not find them scary...very efficient for sure. I like the blade noise and always have to remember that they need the correct angle and no pressure.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The 1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead" SE razor is a favorite of mine.

Most SE razors give the best shaves with the face of the head flat, or virtually flat against one's face. However, the "Shovelhead" is an exception. The factory instructions say to lower the handle on the 1924 slightly. The best shaves are when the angle of the blade is several degrees from the plane of the face.

Just a reminder.

Might have to get one for grins, but I suspect will not surpass a well preserved MMOC. Would prefer a bump less Micromatic. Please don’t out bid. .....lol!!!

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I do like my MMOCs (with and without bumps), and I have to say that my initial draw to the Shovel Head was the bass-akwards design.....opens from the back, which I thought was pretty cool. But I found it a little finicky sliding the blade in and making sure it stayed centered. And it does hold water like bucket.....so you really need drain it after swishing it around in a basin.

The 1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead" SE razor is a favorite of mine.

Most SE razors give the best shaves with the face of the head flat, or virtually flat against one's face. However, the "Shovelhead" is an exception. The factory instructions say to lower the handle on the 1924 slightly. The best shaves are when the angle of the blade is several degrees from the plane of the face.

Just a reminder.
Thanks for this reminder. I knew that one of the razors came with instructions that were somewhat different, but I couldn't remember which one.

I tried out my GEM Jr (the one with the fat black plastic handle) yesterday morning and really liked it. Given this information about how the angle for the Shovelhead is slightly different, I decided this morning to do a "Shave-off" between the two razors.

I made a fantastic razor from a soap made by fellow B&B'er Jetpilot and went to work. I started with the Shovelhead, on the left side of my face. I did the entire left side including the neck and then transferred the blade to the Junior and shaved the entire right side.

Feel on the face is quite different. There is a lot more blade feel with the Shovelhead. It clearly has greater blade exposure. Having said that, both razors were quite comfortable on the face. Rinsing after the first pass I noticed that the Shovelhead had been slightly more efficient, which is to be expected.

I re-applied lather and this time did the right side first, since the blade was already in the Junior. Second pass with the Junior was smooth and easy. Then I transferred the blade to the Shovelhead and did a second pass on the left side. The second pass was easier with the Junior, as finding the perfect angle was easier. Having said that, I had no real problems with the second pass of the Shovelhead.

After two passes, I rinsed and looked for spots that might need a bit of touch-up. There were really no areas that stood out. I got a bit closer directly under the nostril with the Shovelhead, again kind of predictable because of the greater blade exposure.

I had no weepers or nicks and no sting with the aftershave. Overall, a very good shave CCS+/DFS-, which is all I ever really shoot for (not a BBS-chaser).

Both razors did the job very well. With the Junior I could be more carefree and the feel on the face was not as blade-forward, but either razor sufficed and the Shovelhead was slightly more efficient.

I still don't think I'd recommend a Shovelhead as a newbie's first foray into SE razors, but it is a fine shaver and the cool factor is off the charts. I may have to rustle up one of those set screws so I can try a longer handle on it and see how it changes things.

I enjoyed mine, but only on a longer handle. I found it unusable with the stock handle. I recently let mine go for a few reasons.
1. The blade stops were pretty worn, making loading a challenge.
2. I found the MMOC just a bit more comfortable, and I decided to keep only one GEM razor.

Top Bottom