What's new

Shout out for sustainability!!

Both of my cars get over 42 mpg, and the motorcycle is a four-stroke. I can't save the planet, but I do what I can. I don't speak for everyone...recommend considering adopting that stance.

4 stroke snowmobiles are the hype of the market right now, but there's no need to make the change, modern day 2 strokes from Skidoo, AKA Etec engines are cleaner then 4 strokes, get better mileage, and are approved via the EPA.

I live in a weather beaten area of the world where cars are pretty much useless, and a 6 cylinder turbo hybrid "truck" won't get the job done when it comes to pulling and hauling and going to the race track.

I'm sure we offset each other........I'm not too worried about it, it's a law of averages, whatever I burn up, I'm sure you offset by saving.

I ride a 2 stroke snowmobile.......I race 2 stroke go karts.....I drive a dinosaur burning truck......I'm trying to increase my carbon footprint, not make it smaller.

Anyone claiming that they are "saving" the environment wet shaving are just trying to rationalize the decisions to spend gobs of money on what is essentially a hobby.
Well, if you look closely you might notice that precisely nobody in this thread has made the claim that they are saving anything.

They're acknowledging the peripheral benefit of being able to chip in toward the responsible management of resources and the environment.

as delievery trucks hammer all over the US dropping off packages left and right sometimes 2 to 3 times a week if not more. I have a neighbor who gets an amazon prime delivery everyday, sometimes for items as he mentions that are less then a buck and stuff he could run out and get.

Think of the excess waste there, tires and production of those, batteries, also the fuel which is diesel, just to drop off 1 item, if people want to justify that they are being "sustainable" with wet shaving, yet order things every single week or every other.........they aren't plain and simple.

as delievery trucks hammer all over the US dropping off packages left and right sometimes 2 to 3 times a week if not more. I have a neighbor who gets an amazon prime delivery everyday, sometimes for items as he mentions that are less then a buck and stuff he could run out and get.

Think of the excess waste there, tires and production of those, batteries, also the fuel which is diesel, just to drop off 1 item, if people want to justify that they are being "sustainable" with wet shaving, yet order things every single week or every other.........they aren't plain and simple.

I have to agree with this☝️

We can be conscious of the environment as much as we want and feel good about ourselves making eco friendly decisions but the reality is in the big scheme of things, what we can do is nothing but a drop in the bucket...a bucket the size of the pacific ocean!

Saving the planet requieres changing the way of life...of the entire planet.

I ride a 2 stroke snowmobile.......I race 2 stroke go karts.....I drive a dinosaur burning truck......I'm trying to increase my carbon footprint, not make it smaller.

Do the kids pass by you in their infinite torque EVs yelling "move over gramps?!?!?!?"

Do the kids pass by you in their infinite torque EVs yelling "move over gramps?!?!?!?"

no they don't because electric go karts outside of "rental" or "concession" karts are heavy, require too much charging, too expensive and honestly aren't fun to race.

Any real racer of karts, will tell you nothing compares to that of a two stroke 100CC direct drive or 125CC shifter kart. As for the "gramps" part, I'm 36 and all of the younger "kids" that race, really don't like electric technology in racing, many aren't keen on the new hybrid technology in F1 and in IMSA as well.

There's something magical about a naturally aspirated V-8 roaring through a road course at 175 MPH down the front stretch at Road America. Or a turbo V6 Porsche hammering the down shifts coming into turn 5, I'm sorry but no electric whiz bang "race car" can meet that or beat that. And before you mention Formula E.....which is really just over built RC cars..........I tried to watch it and get into it, I watched for an entire season, but when a car needs "fan boost" by voting to complete a "fast lap" the driving is no longer in the hands of the driver, plain and simple.

Reactions: Avi
no they don't because electric go karts outside of "rental" or "concession" karts are heavy, require too much charging, too expensive and honestly aren't fun to race.

Any real racer of karts, will tell you nothing compares to that of a two stroke 100CC direct drive or 125CC shifter kart. As for the "gramps" part, I'm 36 and all of the younger "kids" that race, really don't like electric technology in racing, many aren't keen on the new hybrid technology in F1 and in IMSA as well.

There's something magical about a naturally aspirated V-8 roaring through a road course at 175 MPH down the front stretch at Road America. Or a turbo V6 Porsche hammering the down shifts coming into turn 5, I'm sorry but no electric whiz bang "race car" can meet that or beat that. And before you mention Formula E.....which is really just over built RC cars..........I tried to watch it and get into it, I watched for an entire season, but when a car needs "fan boost" by voting to complete a "fast lap" the driving is no longer in the hands of the driver, plain and simple.

I am just messing with you to be honest ;) A few of my coworkers track / race [ and love making the same v8 comments ] my joke w/ them is if I ever get a stupid amount of fun money I'd buy a ludicrous mode Tesla just to annoy the hell out of them (and then tow my car back home as it lost its charge ). That said the torque on electrics are honestly insane at the price point they are at.

I have to agree with this☝

We can be conscious of the environment as much as we want and feel good about ourselves making eco friendly decisions but the reality is in the big scheme of things, what we can do is nothing but a drop in the bucket...a bucket the size of the pacific ocean!

Saving the planet requieres changing the way of life...of the entire planet.
Change comes gradually then suddenly.

My hope is that when we get to the "suddenly" phase harmful habits become too costly or hard to pursue to continue. In the meantime I can only control my own actions and impact. And I choose to. And I vote for the options that get us better prepared for the "suddenly".

Change comes gradually then suddenly.

My hope is that when we get to the "suddenly" phase harmful habits become too costly or hard to pursue to continue. In the meantime I can only control my own actions and impact. And I choose to. And I vote for the options that get us better prepared for the "suddenly".
Would you vote to do away with anything that uses fossil fuels? That would have a suddenly type of impact.

Would you vote to do away with anything that uses fossil fuels? That would have a suddenly type of impact.
I guess what I was trying to say was that it is when change happens suddenly that it is hardest to adapt. And that I am wanting to start my own adaption before being faced with no options.

I am not wanting to force the change to be sudden. But I am wanting to start the process so that we have options as we move along the curve.

I guess what I was trying to say was that it is when change happens suddenly that it is hardest to adapt. And that I am wanting to start my own adaption before being faced with no options.

I am not wanting to force the change to be sudden. But I am wanting to start the process so that we have options as we move along the curve.
My misunderstanding. I read your post as you were for the type of change that The New Green Deal would attempt to provide.

We will change eventually, the question, that no one knows the answer to, is will it be too late.

My misunderstanding. I read your post as you were for the type of change that The New Green Deal would attempt to provide.

We will change eventually, the question, that no one knows the answer to, is will it be too late.

I know this forums stays away from political discussions - but I am a super optimist about these things. To friends of mine who lean left I always say “don’t argue points you’ve already won, the free market has already driven wholesale renewable energy costs to near zero and the technology industry has just gotten started on solar and battery technology”. To friends of mine who lean right I always say “Let the free market be the free market and let’s save some money. If we can save on transport and energy costs why wouldn’t we ?” And to the youth we say “ those 40K Tesla’s with ~4 sec 0 to 60’s are fun are they not? “ By focusing on the fun and everything else coming for free, it is win win.

if Tesla had dealers a network of technicians to work on your car and a customer service and or parts department that cared.......they would be able to crush the market. My uncle has a Tesla and he needed a small plastic interior piece, Tesla demanded he send the car back on his dime. Yep $600 both ways to get a $14.00 piece of plastic replaced.

I also have friends that work at johnson controls here in wisconsin and they work in the electrical battery division for automotive, basically they make Tesla batteries etc, they said that battery production is bad for the environment people would think twice about priuses etc. also there’s no where to go with the batteries once those cars are totaled or expired etc. junk yards won’t take them and you can’t recycle them.

my point is that while I’m not here on this earth for a long time I’m sure as hell gonna enjoy my two stroke power sports!!!

if Tesla had dealers a network of technicians to work on your car and a customer service and or parts department that cared.......they would be able to crush the market. My uncle has a Tesla and he needed a small plastic interior piece, Tesla demanded he send the car back on his dime. Yep $600 both ways to get a $14.00 piece of plastic replaced.

I also have friends that work at johnson controls here in wisconsin and they work in the electrical battery division for automotive, basically they make Tesla batteries etc, they said that battery production is bad for the environment people would think twice about priuses etc. also there’s no where to go with the batteries once those cars are totaled or expired etc. junk yards won’t take them and you can’t recycle them.

my point is that while I’m not here on this earth for a long time I’m sure as hell gonna enjoy my two stroke power sports!!!

Tesla actually now recycles all their batteries (this just started) at one of their Gigafactories - full closed loop. I am not 100% positive but I think JC (which sold off their auto batteries recently) does not supply Tesla - as Tesla lives off of their own patents / design. This is partly why no one has Tesla's range.

That said VW/Porsche just bought these guys so its going to be an interesting future.

To be honest we have a mixture of 2 stroke / 4 stroke garden equipment - I do not think it is useful to be fanatic one way or another but I do think its clear where the market / efficiencies are going.

Top Bottom