What's new

Shout Out For Gout

Starting my 3rd month of gout in my toe next to my big toe. Feel like I've lost half my summer. I think it's the Xarelto I'm taking for the bilateral pulmonary embolism I enjoyed in July. Anyone else?

I really sympathise with you. Only people that have suffered from gout can understand how excruciatingly painful it can be. I'm a renal transplant patient whereby mediocre renal function and the medication taken to prevent rejection can trigger gout in so many patients. Allopurinol helps a lot, but an attack out of the blue can still cripple me for up to a week.

As a fellow gout sufferer my Doctor put me on Uloric daily which is a preventive medication. I have changed my diet to avoid foods that trigger gout to play it safe also.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Had it for a couple of years. Ankles in particular used to nearly cripple me in the mornings or after sitting for a while. Diet modification and reduction in alcohol intake has helped and it seldom troubles me lately.

I used to get acute attacks about 7 years ago when I was cycling a lot. I took up disc golf and haven't had a problem since until I started taking Xarelto. I eat about 8 ounces of meat a weak, most days none and then only chicken and I very rarely drink alcohol; maybe a beer or snort once every couple of months just to stay manly.

I know that Xarelto messes with proteins in the blood and wonder if this is the problem. Coincidentally I had some blood work done a month before my embolism episode and my uric acid levels were normal. I should probably have my kidney functions checked again. I'll check with my doctor about Uloric and Allopurinol when and if this episode abates.

In the scheme of things I have enjoyed 53 years of great health and gout is a minor inconvenience compared to what many, many folks and families endure. So, thank you Lord. I am blessed.

Gout. Ouch. Cripple me for a couple months two years ago. Colcrys to flush it out for a year, along with a continuing script for Allipurinol has kept it away.

I have had it since my mid 30s. No one else in my family has it. I have no trigger foods, rarely drink, and am not grossly overweight. I get an acute attack about every 2 years. I take Colcrys as needed.

Also guys, flushing the system with water helps too. Make sure you're drinking your two Litres or 8 glasses of water a day. This helps to keep your kidneys flushing out all the uric acid which prevents the crystals forming in the joint. Also, if you like natural remedies, then turmeric can help prevent it as well. You can buy the powder from supermarkets and add it to your meals, or take a teaspoon of it with a bit of olive oil, and apparently a sprinkle of pepper helps to activate it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom