What's new

Should you leave your blade in your razor?

I leave the blade in the razor during the days or weeks I am using it. When I put the razor away to try another one, I ensure that the razor is put away empty.

Now that we're talking about it though, I should probably give that razor a drop of ballistol before I put it away. that's what I do with my straights, so should probably give the same care to the safeties.

After each shave I open or disassemble the razors and rinse them off with warm water, then dry with a lint-free towel. I swishcthe blades in clean water, twang them to remove any residual water droplets, then leave them out to dry. Any razors I put away I first lightly wipe them down inside & the cap & edges with straight razor oil - simply anhydrous Lanolin dissolved in Camellia Seed Oil, applied with a Q-Tip.

I'm amazed what effort some people put in the razor and blade.
I simply shake off most water, dry quickly with a towel, blow a couple of times on each side of the edge, and let it hang with the blade loaded.
Can quite easily get 15-20 shaves out of a good blade with no sign of rust.
The edge is constantly exposed to air and will most probably dry quickly, the place where it might be moist and maybe some tendency to rust would be under the top cap, and it really doesn't matter to me.
But so far I haven't seen any sign of rust, ever...

Edit: Got me thinking about water quality. The times I've been over the pond to USA, NYC and Chicago, the water from the tap has been of much worse quality compared to here in Sweden. More chlorine and salt than in the water here. That could of course have a huge impact on rust and how long a blade will last.

Last edited:
I change blades once a week. Don’t take a blade out unless I want to switch razors - I prefer to finish one blade before starting another. I just rinse them, do a quick dip in a vat of rubbing alcohol, shake off excess liquid, and put away in its case. No issues.

For DEs I loosen the handle or doors and rinse, shake off the excess water, tighten and put it in it's stand. For SEs, I do remove the blade and do a quick palm strop to clean the edge, then it's back in the razor.

I am a rinse and shake kind of guy. Also known as lazy. I only go 4 shaves per blade so it works out fine. After the 4 shaves I take the razor apart and do a little cleaning if needed.

With a SE it goes 10 shaves so a flip of the blade at 5 and back at it. Bit of cleaning when changing the blade.

I doubt it makes a difference at all no matter what you do. If you are taking the razor apart every shave that has to make some more wear on the threads, not that it will matter, just saying.

Top Bottom