What's new

Should you ditch a blade if you razor falls in the sink?

Should you ditch the blade if you razor falls in the sink?

• Of course, the blade might have been damaged.

• No: if the razor's OK, the blade is OK too.

• Only if falls for more than 1 ft / 30 cm

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yup, and I'd check the razor as well. I recently dropped my Progress and it actually bent in one of the edges and created a fairly sharp edge. I buffed it out but it's not the same.

I have never dropped a razor (DE or str8). I tie a string around my brush handle and around the razor, then run the string through my shirt from cuff to cuff, thus ensuring I never drop either. I avoid this technique for straights and heavy brushes, as dropping the brush would essentially eviscerate me. I hope this helps.

I apologise for my sense of humor.

I have never dropped a razor (DE or str8). I tie a string around my brush handle and around the razor, then run the string through my shirt from cuff to cuff, thus ensuring I never drop either. I avoid this technique for straights and heavy brushes, as dropping the brush would essentially eviscerate me. I hope this helps.

Your mother probably taught you that so you wouldn't loose your mittens.:biggrin:

Not to hijack this thread, but yesterday I was putting in a new blade and watched it jump out of the razor, hit the sink, and bounce down the drain (we have an open drain that uses an old-fashioned rubber stopper).

So I thought about it...did I want to fasten some magnet device and fish it out? Did I want to just ignore it and let the next person servicing the drain come to a frightening realization while he or she looks for their thumb? For now I am going with the latter choice. I am truly evil.

...did I want to fasten some magnet device and fish it out?
Interesting. I was about to fire off a post that Stainless Steel blades would not be attracted by a magnet. But fortunately I took a magnet into the shave den and checked. Sure enough, the magnet worked as well on the SS as it did on the carbon steel.
Now, some stainless steels are magnetic, but I thought only relatively few. I wonder if they chose one of those because it makes it easier to make blade-handling machinery? Possibly the carbon steel blade machines depended on this, and so they chose a stainless that was magnetic to ease the transition in manufacturing? :confused:

Yup, and I'd check the razor as well. I recently dropped my Progress and it actually bent in one of the edges and created a fairly sharp edge. I buffed it out but it's not the same.

Sad story - my Progress has not been damaged but this is the second time I drop it in the sink (in ~3 wks). I'm getting shivers at the idea of my little pup damaged like yours...

...maybe I should get another one, to face any upcoming emergency :lol:

Regarding the poll, I really hope the Treet Platinum I was using had been damaged by the fall, or that it was a bad blade - I should have replaced it right away but thought '***?!'

All I would say is perhaps you are moving through the sample pack to quickly.
I would recommend that you use a brand of blade for at least a week. Except if a perticular brand feels terrible.

Regards,

Paul

Interesting. I was about to fire off a post that Stainless Steel blades would not be attracted by a magnet. But fortunately I took a magnet into the shave den and checked. Sure enough, the magnet worked as well on the SS as it did on the carbon steel.
Now, some stainless steels are magnetic, but I thought only relatively few. I wonder if they chose one of those because it makes it easier to make blade-handling machinery? Possibly the carbon steel blade machines depended on this, and so they chose a stainless that was magnetic to ease the transition in manufacturing? :confused:

It is a whole series. I don't remember off hand whether it is the 300 or the 400 series but my GE refrigerator is made out of it. Refrigerator magnets are useless.

All I would say is perhaps you are moving through the sample pack to quickly.
I would recommend that you use a brand of blade for at least a week. Except if a perticular brand feels terrible.

Good point, Paul. OTOH let me explain why I did this way: after I found some blades were painful to shave with on the first or the second shave, I wanted to ascertain whether sharpness had something to do with this, thus I have started using only one blade from each pack.

Now I only have three blades left to try, the sharpest ones, when there'll be no more left, I'm going to go through the entire sampler once again; this is be more or less mandatory, as I've noticed at least three different states of evolution in my shaving technique, and with more shaves under my belt I should be more capable of a fair assessment of the various blades.

I went with the third option of only if it's been dropped a certain distance, but not whole-heartedly. As I see it, the chances of dropping the razor and having it damage the edge of the blade seem rather slight when considered against the total surface area of the rest of the razor. Granted, as the head is heavier the razor will fall head first, but even then there is a bar underneath the blade, and a cover on top. The razor would have to fall at a rather precise angle to land on the edge of the blade. This coupled with the idea of a bad shave and the possible ensuing weepers make us act overly cautious in regards to changing the blades after a drop. Of course, simply changing the blade isn't going to break the bank. But, for now I'm playing percentages. Well, my perceived percentages anyway.

Maybe we could have Merkur donate a razor for testing this by some of our more scientifically inclined members. Or, if someone would like to donate their razor to me....I'd be more than happy to "test" it.

Top Bottom