What's new

Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Which category do you fall under?

• Total voters

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah AutoSol feels gritty, but it doesnt scratch.

I suppose it might if you press too hard but if you're gentle, so is it.

Yep, you've got some work ahead of you. If you want to keep them all clean once you're finished, you might look into an ultrasonic cleaner.

2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

There are some very inexpensive ones around too.

Nice SC.

AutoSol on the toothbrush will polish between the teeth. Use dish soap on the toothbrush after to clean any remaining polish off.

I'm not sure why the different Brass types. Red Brass tarnishes to black quickly. It you leave water drops on the cap, they'll be black spots the next day. That wipes right off with AutoSol though so not a problem. Yellow Brass dulls and loses its shine before taking a dark tarnish and it takes a lot longer.

If you put a drop of Brasso on your finger and rub your fingers together you might feel the very fine grit like sand. If you do, dont use it, it will scratch.

Use the AutoSol on a soft clean cloth and polish until it turns black, which wont take long. Buff it off with a clean dry cloth. It will shine like a mirror in no time.
When it turns black that means your removing metal. So remember, when your doing gold especially the older ones. That you are removing it as you polish. The older ones have a lacquer over the gold wash, you don't want to remove that if possible. If it feels gritty it will probably scratch. May want to try a inconspicuous place before going "Hog Wild". Flitz or Maaz seems to work well for me. YMMV.

Hi Mike,

I used to dive quite a bit and have a few dive technicians as friends. I get to "borrow" their gear sometimes and have access to professional ultrasound cleaners for regulators as well as a lot of other really cool O2 clean stuff too lol.

Only issue is it takes a good 45 mins to get to them so in time perhaps I'll get a ultrasound cleaner once my collection gets a bit harder to manage...

Psssh this is just some of my DE gear and I started only in Dec last year lol... crazy huh rofl!

Yeah AutoSol feels gritty, but it doesnt scratch.

I suppose it might if you press too hard but if you're gentle, so is it.

Yep, you've got some work ahead of you. If you want to keep them all clean once you're finished, you might look into an ultrasonic cleaner.

2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

There are some very inexpensive ones around too.
I use a ultra sonic cleaner and it works well. Just remember that if left in to long it will remove lacquer and the paint from numbers on adjustables etc. I use dish soap (Dawn) in my sonic cleaner.

When it turns black that means your removing metal. So remember, when your doing gold especially the older ones. That you are removing it as you polish. The older ones have a lacquer over the gold wash, you don't want to remove that if possible. If it feels gritty it will probably scratch. May want to try a inconspicuous place before going "Hog Wild". Flitz or Maaz seems to work well for me. YMMV.

Hi Go-T,

Agree on the gold bit. The plating on some of the old gillettes looks so thin that you just have to sneeze and it'll peel off.

The plating on these guys already look like they're barely hanging on. The sc on the right has bald spots where brass is showing (just by knocking around in the case) the lc on the left has a couple of dings n a round spot.
IMG_20190216_232055.jpg

I'll likely leave both alone as the plating is just too fragile.

I have just soaked in warm water and dawn. Then wipe with a micro fiber cloth and they brightened up. But you do what you feel is right for you Mawashi. Good Luck.

Hi Go-T,

If possible I would want to re-plate them but for now I'll try not to do too much with em.

I would hate it if I ruin a piece of history by messing about.

What I will say is the SC and LC are rather amazing razors for something 80+ years old lol.

The LC sings while the SC is a more muted but both give great shaves.

Hi Go-T,

If possible I would want to re-plate them but for now I'll try not to do too much with em.

I would hate it if I ruin a piece of history by messing about.

What I will say is the SC and LC are rather amazing razors for something 80+ years old lol.

+1 Enjoy! :shaving::thumbup:

The longer the clamp distance the louder it shouts. Rigidly clamped blades are the strong silent types.
full

Check your respective baseplates and you'll see why. :wink2:

Cal,

I just eyeballed the LC, SC and Karve. the LC does't support the blade as well as the SC or Karve.
Guess I'll have to check out my other razors to see how well they support the blade.

Cheers.
Mawashi

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Agree on the gold bit. The plating on some of the old gillettes looks so thin that you just have to sneeze and it'll peel off.

On most of the vintage Gillette razors, thats not even a true plating, its a very thin gold wash. It was protected after with a very thin varnish, which is quite durable. You can see it between the teeth in my NIB NEW LC where it was left to dry and harden.

IMG_1122.JPG

Once that varnish is gone, the thin gold wash will go quickly without very gentle care.

Gentle cleaning with soap and water is all thats needed for any razors that have varnish over a gold wash.

Hi Mike,

The varnish on both the lc n sc has long gone. Tts why in the photos the gold already has plating lost.

I'll send swamp thing to Russia and keep the other 2 n replate them in the future.

They both shave well lol.

Having used these vintage gillettes I'm wondering why so many of the new razors are so bulky?
A slim head really allows more coverage in small areas.

Cal,

This is my I'm officially crazy over shiny razors post lol!

I loved how well built the Karve is but the matt finish didn't quite do it for me.
Sooo, after some brasso on a soft toothbrush and buffing on a soft cloth.

It's not the mirror finish I want but it's a start. I'm going to send my other razors to a professional in the near future to put a serious shine on them. I want to see my teeth on em like on my army boots lol.
IMG_20190217_140342.jpg
IMG_20190217_140442.jpg
IMG_20190217_140601.jpg

The difference between the original and buffed stuff. The left is a prototype C OC plate and the other is the standard B bar plate.

IMG_20190217_152351.jpg

Chris will be screaming that I ruined all his careful machining by about 1 nano meter but, I don't care I want his work to live forever as shiny not dull brass lol!

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

The varnish on both the lc n sc has long gone. Tts why in the photos the gold already has plating lost.

I'll send swamp thing to Russia and keep the other 2 n replate them in the future.

They both shave well lol.

Having used these vintage gillettes I'm wondering why so many of the new razors are so bulky?
A slim head really allows more coverage in small areas.

Some people prefer the convenience of TTOs. I don't mess with my blade except at blade change, so once a week at most. TTO isn't a draw for me.

Nice Razors in your next post!

Some people prefer the convenience of TTOs. I don't mess with my blade except at blade change, so once a week at most. TTO isn't a draw for me.

Nice Razors in your next post!

Thanks Clay,

I don't leave the blades in the razors wet. I'll usually disassemble them, dry it and put it all back. Especially w the karve and brass razors they can get water stains and metal spots easily. Less so with the gc and slims, but still I don't leave my blades in when wet.

Thanks Clay,

I don't leave the blades in the razors wet. I'll usually disassemble them, dry it and put it all back. Especially w the karve and brass razors they can get water stains and metal spots easily. Less so with the gc and slims, but still I don't leave my blades in when wet.
I only pull out carbon blades, when I use them, in my Gem 1912. Click, Snap. Even quicker than a TTO :)
If I had a higher end razor, I might spend the time, at least 'til the glamour wore off.

I just ordered 3 different bottles of Chatillon Lux aftershaves, Clubman Musk and Special Reserve, WCS matte black safety razor and Oriental duck fat shave soap. I’m also bidding on 3 different vintage German safety razors.

Top Bottom