What's new

Should the containers be non transparent?

Hello there,

I have seen that the soap containers are non transparent. Is it because of marketing (easier to put written Content or because the light damages the soap ?

I am just curios. I have some soap in transparent containers and I thought it is good to know.

Yeah, what he said. But I don't think transparent containers will be an issue so long as you keep the containers out of sunlight. Now, it wouldn't be my container of choice if I was hoping to save that puck for decades, but then again I'm not sure what would be. Something fancy from NASA? :001_rolle

Well I have been keeping some Tabac soap in a transparent container but I haven't seen any change apart that it is a bit soft. But I put it in another dark container as I don't want to throw this soap.

Thank you guys for the info.

MdC and Castle Forbes come in transparent containers. I've had no issues with them. And from what I've read here on B&B it seems that many MdC users have kept their tubs for decades without issues.

MdC and Castle Forbes come in transparent containers. I've had no issues with them. And from what I've read here on B&B it seems that many MdC users have kept their tubs for decades without issues.

Interesting ! Thanks

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good question, never thought about it before. The soaps that I have are all in non transparent containers.

To be clear, soap isn't as sensitive to sunlight as, say, undeveloped film is, but it will cause damage over time. As long as you don't keep the soap on the windowsill or under a skylight I suspect that oxidation will be a much greater factor in soap spoilage. And that shouldn't keep you up at night either, unless you have heirloom soaps or something like that.

AGREE!!!

Makers are likely using non transparent containers as they look a bit less messy from the outside if the soap isn't filled in perfectly. Just my guess though. I don't think the light is a big factor here. It's just soap.

Unless you are leaving your soaps out in the sunlight, I really doubt light exposure is an issue. I usually keep my soaps in a drawer, so they only see any light when I take them out to use them.

I would assume the main reason for the popularity of opaque plastic containers is that they are more aesthetically pleasing, rather than light-safe.

As stated by others, unless you're leaving your soap in the sun, it really doesn't matter if the container is clear or not.

Top Bottom