What's new

Should shoes, belt and watch strap match?

Simple question: Should shoes, belt, and watch strap (assuming its leather) match? So, for example, I won't wear my Swiss Army watch with tan strap unless I am wearing tan shoes and matching belt. Or is a black leather watch strap neutral enough to differ from belt and shoes? Personally, I say ideally, yes the three should match, but would like to hear the opinions of others.

Yes, if all three are leather. I think that’s ideal, but I’m thankful for stainless steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s like the white socks with black shoes thing. No, you shouldn’t do it. But if you do....whatever.

Same with this I feel. Yes, they should match. But I’m not going to judge someone that is wearing mismatched accessories. I match when it’s comfortable for me. If I want to wear something that doesn’t match...so what.

On someone else there's a slim chance i might notice if the shoes weren't matched with each other but who knows about the rest, i'm not keeping score.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Generally, yes for shoes and belt.

If you are wearing a funky belt which otherwise suits your chosen attire, it need not match the shoes.

proxy.php

Generally, if you can avoid a brown belt with black shoes and avoid a black belt with brown shoes, you are good to go.

Watch strap colour need not match ... ever.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There's no good excuse for failing to match one's belt to one's shoes. One can find simple, good quality belts for under $20. My black dress belt came right off the Wal-Mart rack for something like ten or twelve bucks (I don't recall because it was some years ago).

I've never been concerned at all about matching a watch strap, though. While one also can find simple, good quality watch straps at decent price, changing them out is hardly as simple as changing a belt (at least for a ham handed goof like me), even with the right tool. A watch also sort of has one foot in "wardrobe" and one in "personal item," so it's something of a matter of whether the watch matches the occassion, rather than the strap matching the shoes and belt. There's certainly nothing wrong with making an effort to match all three, but I would be loath to holding it against someone who has not done so while wearing a nice watch at a semi-formal more more formal occasion.

I suppose that, if I were to meet the Queen, I may look into matching everything. If I thought I had a decent shot at winning an Oscar, I might look into matching everything so that the fashion wonks have less to wonk on about. At my Presidential inauguration, I might see about matching my watch strap, since my hand again will be on a global stage. Otherwise . . . good luck.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
While I have a metal band on my watch, I have to admit not caring if you watch band matches your belt. If you're dressed up I probably can't see your watch very often.

Shoes and belt definitely. Watch strap I've never given much thought to but then again I don't own a leather watch band anymore as all of mine are stainless steel.

I would think it would be nice to match the band as well if possible but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Most dress watches I've seen are on metal bracelets or black leather straps. You can of course get some pretty spiffy leather of any color or type but for the occasions where someone would actually care about matching a belt and shoes, it's probably gonna be all black anyway so the black watch strap fits right in. If you have a more casual brown leather watch strap or any of the various colored rubber or nato straps then it probably doesn't matter if you match your belt and shoes anyway.

I suspect folks who routinely dress to impress have several watches so they can match their attire or just one on a steel bracelet for all purpose use.

I always make them all match. I have 2 brown leather strap watches that I are among my favorites that I don’t wear as much as I would like to because I wear black dress shoes with my work attire more often.

Shoes and belt definitely. Watch strap I've never given much thought to but then again I don't own a leather watch band anymore as all of mine are stainless steel.
Then . . . would you wear the stainless watch band with a brass belt buckle?
FWIW, I would not really care. I am retired and happily married. I can wear anything I want.

I know I probably overthink things but I always match my belt, watch band, and shoes and make sure all of my metals match. For example if I am wearing a gold watch on a black band then I will have on a black belt with a gold buckle, black shoes and a gold tie clip. If I am wearing a stainless watch band then I will wear a silver belt buckle on whichever belt matches my shoes and a silver tie clip.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hmm, I believe the book answer is yes. Personally, I try to match black to black, and brown to brown, but I don't stress out getting the shades of brown exactly matching. Frankly, I treat oxblood as a wild card. Maybe that makes me look like a soup sandwich, but I've never been called out on it. And if for some reason I do want to make sure my browns are all in line, I have a set dark chocolate brown, shoes, belt, and watch strap that look smashing together. Now, as I understand "The Rules", cloth and suede kind of get you off the hook for the matching leathers thing, so for instance, suede shoes without a matching belt is no big deal. Ditto a woven belt or a NATO watchband. And, of course, you could just wear your watch on a bracelet, your pants on suspenders, and pick out any shoes that strike your fancy.

I know I probably overthink things but I always match my belt, watch band, and shoes and make sure all of my metals match. For example if I am wearing a gold watch on a black band then I will have on a black belt with a gold buckle, black shoes and a gold tie clip. If I am wearing a stainless watch band then I will wear a silver belt buckle on whichever belt matches my shoes and a silver tie clip.

Agreed. I rarely dress up, usually jeans or cargos for work but I pay careful attention to the details. I feel better dressed wearing an alligator belt, cordovan chukkas and a decent watch, penand folding knife with jeans and a casual shirt than I would in a cheap suit. Also a lot more comfortable.

I think it is more important to match the watch style (at least the overall size) to the style of dress than consider how the band color matches other clothing. Since the band is integral to the watch and it is more important that it match the dial color and case style to stand as a cohesive unit.

Of course one could try to match the watch to their outfit but should not the more formally one dresses the less visible the watch become?

This is certainly outside of any fashion advice but it can be fun to switch between different colored Perlon/NATO/Zulu straps when casually dressed.

I don’t know how much it really matters. I personally match brown/black shoes to my belt.

Never really give it much thought to my watch strap that varies from leather, nato/nylon, & bracelet.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Hmm, I believe the book answer is yes. Personally, I try to match black to black, and brown to brown, but I don't stress out getting the shades of brown exactly matching. Frankly, I treat oxblood as a wild card. Maybe that makes me look like a soup sandwich, but I've never been called out on it. And if for some reason I do want to make sure my browns are all in line, I have a set dark chocolate brown, shoes, belt, and watch strap that look smashing together. Now, as I understand "The Rules", cloth and suede kind of get you off the hook for the matching leathers thing, so for instance, suede shoes without a matching belt is no big deal. Ditto a woven belt or a NATO watchband. And, of course, you could just wear your watch on a bracelet, your pants on suspenders, and pick out any shoes that strike your fancy.

I think they have 12 step groups that can be helpful for these compulsions. :001_tt2:

Shoes and belt should definitely match. And as others have said, if the watchband is leather, it should also match. Otherwise the watch can be stand alone.

I normally do shoes/belt, but not necessarily watch. I have a 40 mm Invicta Pro Diver, gold tone case, champagne dial, blue bezel on a tan/light brown alligator strap. I often wear it with a pair of khaki /tan slacks. But not always. I also have a Stuhrling Original Winchester Plaza in rose gold case/brown strap that I wear with those or other brown slacks. Sometimes even black or blue.

Today with jeans it was a 43 mm Pro Diver red dial, black bezel, two tone bracelet (stainless and gunmetal). I have a red with white pinstripe dress shirt on today. I will also wear this watch with black or blue slacks. Today I am wearing my black Grip6 belt.

Top Bottom