What's new

Should Schools Bring Back Cursive Handwriting?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hell yeah...
write-on-png.968735

By Alex Frost - Readers Digest - 24 Jan 2020

1579914101921.png
"A variety of educators and politicians across the country are pushing back against the death of cursive, resurrecting the rite of passage. Here's why.

Ask anyone who completed third grade in the 1980s or earlier and chances are they will have a memory of trying to get that capital G loopy enough or have a favorite letter to swoop and scrawl. Then a generation of Americans skipped this rite of passage as teaching cursive writing was phased out of the curriculum, making it one of 9 school subjects that you took that your kids won’t, at least for now.

Where cursive came from: A brief history

The concept of cursive dates all the way back to the 5th century when the ancient Romans developed something that “flowed like modern cursive,” according to History.com. Centuries later it became expected that men and women use different handwriting from each other, as well as people from different classes. Various professions had their own signature style of handwriting as well.

Two methods prevailed in America. In the 19th century, it was the Spencerian method (the original Coca Cola logo is an example) and then the D’Nealian script starting in the 1970s.

The decline of handwriting began in the 1980s as computers and their associated keyboards became commonplace and learning to type took precedence over beautiful handwriting.

Where did all of the cursive go?

A decade ago, during the surge of Common Core State Standards’ popularity, cursive writing took a backseat and was eliminated from most curricula across the United States.

(Common Core is a set of educational standards established by the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) in 2009. They are followed by 41 states.)

“The Common Core standards seemed to spell the end of the writing style in 2010 when they dropped requirements that the skill be taught in public elementary schools,” reported a 2019 article in the New York Times. Common Core demands a sufficient grasp of keyboarding skills by the fourth grade and doesn’t have any specific cursive writing requirements; this initiated the shift away from cursive. [...]

Read More: Should schools bring back cursive handwriting?

proxy.php
"The art of writing [cursive] is the art of discovering what you believe". Gustave Flaubert

PS I've also found that by using a FP, my writing has improved (well my cursive is still a little better than
Chicken Scratch.png
).

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Cursive might be the most important skill I learned in school - one I use everyday in fact. I remember detesting handwriting lessons at the time. In retrospect, that might have been partially due to the horrendous Papermate erasable ballpoints the teacher made us use.

I think that educators were quite premature in writing off cursive, so to speak. In general, the widespread use of computers in class has not increased test scores or learning outcomes. I dare say that issuing computers to grade school students is far more effective at inculcating early brand loyalty to Apple or Google than teaching kids. Studies are increasingly showing that handwritten notes work better for memory retention than recording or typing. Writing is also shown to have therapeutic value for managing depression and anxiety, which are both trending up in our decadent society. Insofar as cursive is by far the most efficient way to write by hand, it is an immensely useful skill that should be reintroduced in school.

I feel that they'd be better off teaching italic writing with something similar to the Getty-Dubay method. Home | Getty-Dubay Italic - https://handwritingsuccess.com/

As a child I had barely learned printing when they threw cursive at us. If was completely different and was confusing. I never really became good at either one, and completely gave up on cursive when I was 9 because even I couldn't read my writing. I did have really lousy teachers for 1st and 2nd grades, followed by one who was (looking back on it) senile in 3rd grade. Perhaps if I had had better teachers I might have learned any number of things better, including handwriting.

I think they should teach kids to write (cursive).
But if teaching kids to write is too much trouble for the teachers, they SHOULD at least teach kids to read it.
Jody

Yes, probably. I just think that it's possible to get too focused on one thing like this, and not evaluate the quality of education as a whole. Cursive was a basic skill when I went to school, and probably still should be. But teaching kids how to write elegantly doesn't teach them to write well.

They have brought it back here in the public schools. My granddaughter is in second grade and learning cursive. I believe it is faster and easier to take notes in college, etc with cursive and that is the rationale. Sometimes the pedulum swings back a bit.

Millenial anti theft device... How many teach their kids to drive a stick? I have managed to have all of my kids so far, at least put a few miles with a stick. I recommend kids learn to drive a manual because it could get them or someone else out of a bind.

Be prepared.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Cursive writing is art. Fine motor skills development. If a doctor is going to cut me open . . . I'd appreciate some of these skills.

Driving stick. . . I really don't think it means much these days. I learned it and my first few cars were manual . . . but even Tractor Trailers are mostly automatic these days.

Coming from a millennial (borderline), I don't see it as useful, only in regards to signing your name and that's it. Class papers agree required to be typed, presentations are to be typed. My college 10 page Apa reports are to be done on a computer. This isn't to say cursive isn't needed. It should be taught but maybe more so by the parents or guardians because right now computer is taking over.

Your cursive isn't gonna help you type your Doctoral dissertation, or write your report when working with patients or what happened the day of work. Even writing your signature for using credit is useless as it's not even validated anymore since it can be forged. I got more benefits from typing than ignoring cursive (my parents forced me to learn and I did in school, but ended up learning myself and enjoying it.

I only write it when in a journal and never for class or notes. For me it takes too long and people can't read it As well compared to print, and the same of my sister (she wrote print bad but cursive well). I got jobs because I was a fast and efficient typer. I was a more taker for CNA and EMT students and did better than my previous co-workers cause I know how to type (you'd be surprised how many tech savvy youth can't actually type). In terms of economic skill, you better know how to use a keyboardand got just CTRL ALT Delete. This is anecdotal as well as coming from a millennial who's from the transition.

It will come to teaching the youth how to write cursive at home if you ever hope for it to live on. My brother is teaching his girls how to do it. I still write it but only in my journal and sometimes my gen x co-workers are surprised I can write in cursive. Teach it and see if they like it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
We have two grandsons in elementary school
Luke is in 6th grade and Logan is in 2nd grade
Both use cursive writing in their school.
they are both left-handed and both are doing well with it.

Top Bottom