What's new

Should My Soap Live In My Shaving Mug, or Soap Container?

Just received a sample pack of razors, a shaving mug, and this very nice-smelling soap which comes in a resealable container.

Will my soap spoil from being left out in a shaving mug? The base is coconut oil, which is quite stable (though I usually leave my coconut oil sealed).

I supposed I could put "just enough" soap in the mug, or I could just use the resealable container as a soap dish, but I'd really like to use the nifty mug.

Perhaps I should have bought a mug with a lid?

probably depends on your temperature environment. I leave in the container but poke small several holes to let it dry out.

Just read through this tutorial. Do most people store soap in their mug? Or just use it as a lather bowl?

I've been face lathering with a shaving cream until now, first time using a shaving soap!

If you're using the soap daily or every couple days, the mug will work fine. A container you can seal is nice if you have a rotation of soaps and you go many days or weeks without using it. The container keeps the soap from drying out and a hydrated soap puck almost always works better. The container also keeps the soap from collecting dust or losing its scent if you don't use it very often. Lots of us have a lot of soaps and it may get put away for a while before being used again.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you're using the soap daily or every couple days, the mug will work fine. A container you can seal is nice if you have a rotation of soaps and you go many days or weeks without using it. The container keeps the soap from drying out and a hydrated soap puck almost always works better. The container also keeps the soap from collecting dust or losing its scent if you don't use it very often. Lots of us have a lot of soaps and it may get put away for a while before being used again.
'nuff said, because it was well said!

+1! My soap ’rotation’ is (mostly) in open containers: no problem whatsoever! :thumbup:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just received a sample pack of razors, a shaving mug, and this very nice-smelling soap which comes in a resealable container.

Will my soap spoil from being left out in a shaving mug? The base is coconut oil, which is quite stable (though I usually leave my coconut oil sealed).

I supposed I could put "just enough" soap in the mug, or I could just use the resealable container as a soap dish, but I'd really like to use the nifty mug.

Perhaps I should have bought a mug with a lid?
I just leave my soap in a bowl which I never even rinse much less cover and have done so for many years. Same as bath soap. Soap is just soap.

Alright, thanks everyone! I'm going to try the "lather mug" for now. I will eventually just get all the soap in there. I only shave every couple of days since I'm in quarantine.

Top Bottom