What's new

Should MDC be in my 5 pack

No, but that is just me. I thought it was overpriced. It lathers easy enough, I didn't think it was all that slick and it felt dry post shave. I thought my puck of VDH Luxury was better than that stuff. The five you listed I have only used PdP 63 and MWF. Still have the PdP but sold the other. Really can't rate it or where those stand as ones "5", it is to each his own. I would suggest you give SV a try before you go big on MdC. SV is still a little expensive but better than MdC in my book.

Own both, and while the MdC will certainly last much longer, the Nuavia Blu is far superior performance-wise, IMO.

I think that one, coupled with the SV soap(s) you already planned on trying should cover you nicely.

I changed mind lately when it comes to MDC... but keep in mind my mind changes a lot! Haha

I like the smells (but not love) , love the slickness and easy of lather , but there is very little post shave for me which is a big part of my shaving enjoyment.

It’s kinda “basic” to me, if that makes sense. I just get bored using it. It does last a long time though so that may be a factor for you.

Keep in mind, for comparison sake, I love SV and I own about 5 of their scents. sometimes I wonder why I venture away from them...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
MdC is a very simple coconut oil soap. It lathers and performs as well as anything provided the brush is properly loaded and hydrated.

The scents are simple and light, and quite ‘French’, so they’re something that you have to appreciate to appreciate the soap. I like them, I could use any of them every day for a long time and not get tired of them. But I do like light scents.

Post shave, same kind of thing. A coconut oil soap rinses clean, so your brush has no residue, your razor has no residue, and your skin has no residue. I like the clean, soft post shave, but if you’re looking for your soap to be part after shave, this one isn’t it.

As a straight answer to your question, it’s not a top 5 soap for me.
There’s a few other artisans I’d offer up at top 5 contenders: Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel, Ariana & Evans.

I haven't tried many artisans lately as I basically stopped buying modern soap about 5-10 years ago (I shave with homemade or vintage soaps 99% of the time), so most of my experience is with commercially available soaps. but my top few for performance were probably (in order):

99% of vintage (pre-70's) pucks (there are a few varieties that don't quite live up to the rest... they'd rank a step down from this list with Cella, Arko, Palmolive, etc... ironically these are often some of the ones other people rave about. Yardley is on that list... and those bowls used to sell for over $100 they were so insanely praised.)
Speick stick
Wilk Sword Stick
MdC
Klar Kab
Tabac
TFS

I would never buy MdC myself because I think their pricing is silly (I've gotten samples/gifts of it from people on a number of occasions), but there's no denying it performs great. If you're in a situation or of an attitude where the price isn't significant to you (lots of people look at it in cost/shave and justify it), definitely worth the buy. I prefer the fougere scent. For me, I'd rather buy a case of speick sticks than a single brain bowl (though they are nice looking).

Last edited:
Of the soaps you mentioned I have all except DG.
Yes, MDC is that good. I have all 5 scents. I look forward when any comes up in rotation.
Go with the Original or Fougere, you won't be disappointed.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve become very fond of the agrumes too, a light citron scent, basically a slightly sweet lemon. It pairs beautifully with Myrsol Limon AS.

Top Bottom