What's new

Should I "upgrade" my 1963 Gillette Super Speed?

I have a 1963 flare tip SS. I've been using it for awhile, its the only DE I've ever had, and I am really happy with the shaves. I keep reading though, that it is a mild razor, and now that I've got technique down I was thinking about trying a more aggressive razor. Will I get a closer shave? What razors should i look at? Or maybe I should try different blades? I've only ever used Israeli personnas. My goal is to get the closest shave!

If your budget allows for it try a few other Gillette razors like a open comb of a old type or new, a early tech, try a adjustable razor that will give you a full spectrum from mild to aggressive like the slim, super adjustable, or fat boy. I enjoy all my razors but I keep coming back to the milder shaves.

If your budget allows for it try a few other Gillette razors like a open comb of a old type or new, a early tech, try a adjustable razor that will give you a full spectrum from mild to aggressive like the slim, super adjustable, or fat boy. I enjoy all my razors but I keep coming back to the milder shaves.

+1 All of those are great choices. I recommend a FB, it sees more time in my rotation than any other.

If you're happy with your shaves, why get another razor? There's nothing against you getting one, but it would be because you want to experiment, not because you need to. There seems to be an increasingly prevalent assumption amongst some people that more aggressive = better, but I don't think that's true. More aggressive razors might be better for some people, but by no means all.

I had exactly the same thought a few months back
Everything was going great with SS flare tip so I bought a mint Fat Boy and Slim
I have reverted back to SS as nothing compares to it :)

Probably you could try a sharper blade, or trying some other razor. The Fat Boy prices are kind of insane right now, you the Slim shaves pretty much the same and you can get it cheaper.

Obviously you don't need another razor..........however, if you want one, I would look at a Red Tip Super Speed or a Slim. Then, when you "want" yet another one, you might look at NEW Short Comb.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you want to try and if you can afford to try... Then, why not??
If u dont like them and you want to stick to the superspeed you can always sell the others in the BST.

I agree with Bobcat's opinion. These three razors, together with your regular Superspeed, will give you plenty of nice shaves.

I started out with a 1961 Super Speed and recently switched to a NDC Tech because I wanted to try something new. They are both great razors, but is finding the Tech to be milder and more forgiving. Of course YMMV.

I also think that if you want to experiment, then you should start with different blades before switching razors. I have to admit that I found that my best razor has been my 1949 Gillette SS even I after I tried several others including a FB.

Jason

+1 All of those are great choices. I recommend a FB, it sees more time in my rotation than any other.
+2.
With my Old Type I find that I simply get as close if not closer shave with fewer passes than I do using a less aggressive razor.
I rarely get any sting at all from alum when using the Old Type, but then I'm only subjecting my skin to 1 light WTG pass & a touch up under the jawline.
The result = about the same as WTG/XTG/ATG using my DE89.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Closer shave? Depends on what your getting now. However the flare tip with a sharp blade is a great combination! If you wanted to climb the ladder of aggression a good next choice would be possibly an 40's super speed followed by Red tip then the Aristocrat jr. In the open comb area a Sheraton tto is an awesome mild oc while a short comb new is more easily found. The myriad of choices is fun!
Good luck!

Obviously you don't need another razor..........however, if you want one, I would look at a Red Tip Super Speed or a Slim. Then, when you "want" yet another one, you might look at NEW Short Comb.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Exactly what I was thinking! The New is a fantastic razor!!

Top Bottom