What's new

Should I try TOBS creams? Proraso user here

Is TOBS a good cream to upgrade to? I find Proraso to be OK as a baseline to compare others to, but I want to "move up" to another brand.

How is the slickness in TOBS?

TOBS is probably the best, reasonably priced cream on the market. I've been using it for years with great results

I bought the TOBS sampler kit and I really like some of the scents. It's a good performer. I have yet to find a soap that beats TABAC yet though. If you haven't tried it you might think about it. I got it on Amazon for around $9. The TOBS sampler kit I ordered from the TOBS web site.

TOBS is very good. Taconic is better in that price range. And l'occitane Cade better still, but a lot more expensive.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've tried two TOBS creams and neither was as good as Proraso Blue. Nice scents, but the performance is meh, IMO. YMMV.

I am in the minority in that I do not think TOBS is on the same level as Proraso/CO Bigelow. The Avocado version is right there but the other scent versions are not. I enjoy the actual TOBS scents but something similar is available from other higher performing products.

Of the TOBS scents I've tried, I .liked the Avocado the best, followed by Peppermint. If you like Proraso Green, you'd definitely want to check out the latter...

My honest opinion based on my experience, Proraso is a better all around performer. It's not a knock on TOBS. It's just w/Proraso I always get an absolutely outstanding, nick free & irritation free shave.

I have a tub of TOBS St. James. I absolutely love the scent (used it today as a matter of fact). Performance is very good although I seem to get a nick or 2 every once in a while. My only real complaint is that it doesn't last as long. I get more shaves from a tube of Proraso than a tub of TOBS. If you're money conscious that may be a concern.

I really like TOBS creams. They are more reasonably priced than some others work really well. Their scents are also quite enjoyable. I have used Sandalwood, Eton College and Lemon & Lime. I think their Eton College is my favorite of the three with Sandalwood close behind. I kind of wish there was more lime in the L & L. I'm also looking to try Mr. Taylor's based on comments I've seen on B&B.

I too am in the Pro-TOBS corner. I prefer them to other reasonably priced creams, including Proraso. The TOBS Sandalwood is a good first to try IMHO. Eton College, Mr. Taylor's & the Cedarwood are some I have tried and still use.

I enjoy proraso. The scent, the lather, and the refreshing kick. But imho tobs is a nicer shave. Of course my mileage does vary. Grapefruit is my favorite tobs scent.

I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I find TOBS to be superior to Proraso.
Lather-ability is equal.
Shave experience, Cushion is equal, Slickness a noticeable edge to TOBS.
Aroma = TOBS takes the win.
Post Shave = TOBS runs away with it.
I found Proraso (Green) to have a soapy scent and my skin feels tight after the shave.
TOBS has great aromas (I've tried most of them, Eaton, Peppermint, Rose, St James, Avocado, Lavender) and the post shave feel is far superior.
Proraso is functional, and I can see why so many folk use it. It just doesn't feel or smell luxurious.

Top Bottom