What's new

Should I try the adjustable now or more blades first?

Good moves so far. Stay with the Slim. Try moving up to 6 or 7 with a light touch.
I think as you shave more you will like the top heavy balance. I definitely prefer it to a handle heavy balance.

Did a 2 pass shave with the Slim loaded with the Astra blade. First pass was on a 3 then I did a second pass on 4. Got a good close shave though got a small nick on my chin. On the 2nd pass my neck got slightly irritated going against the grain though this went away in about an hour. My last ten shaves have been with Personna platinum and they feel a little milder and feel better if I go against the grain. Its fun though getting used to a different razor. The weight and feel of it is different than the EJ- 89. Next shave I'm going to slow down a bit as I think not doing that helped cause that nick and irritation.

I was wondering- is it advisable to change the setting on an adjustable razor for different parts of your face or better just to change to a certain setting for a whole pass?
Excellent question. I use setting 6 on first pass, then 4 on 2nd. If I think a touch third is needed, I go to setting 3. This is the best feature of the Adjustable razors. Seems to work, just my opinion.

With Gillette adjustable(s) I usually do a first pass on 5 or 6 and then for the second (against) on 7 or 8....; EJ is smooth but I need minimum 3 passes.....

Seems like you need to try a Fatboy next......or a Merkur Progress..... :straight::letterk1:

Did a 2 pass shave with the Slim loaded with the Astra blade. First pass was on a 3 then I did a second pass on 4. Got a good close shave though got a small nick on my chin. On the 2nd pass my neck got slightly irritated going against the grain though this went away in about an hour. My last ten shaves have been with Personna platinum and they feel a little milder and feel better if I go against the grain. Its fun though getting used to a different razor. The weight and feel of it is different than the EJ- 89. Next shave I'm going to slow down a bit as I think not doing that helped cause that nick and irritation.

I was wondering- is it advisable to change the setting on an adjustable razor for different parts of your face or better just to change to a certain setting for a whole pass?
I recently started using adjustable razor - Merkur Progress. What I found so far, is that I prefer to adjust it by feeling. I typically decrease the settings between WTX, XTG, ATG passes (some gents here prefer increasing) and I also adjust by 0.5 or even 1 if I feel that the blade is too dull or it is biting. For specific places on my face I also adjust it sometimes depending of how the blade work feels.
That's the beauty of the adjustable - you can choose what works best for the moment, blade, skin condition, face part, lather slickness... And I enjoy this.
Smooth shaves!

Top Bottom