What's new

Should I try the adjustable now or more blades first?

I've been wet shaving 4 months now. I'm using an EJ DE-89 with the diamond knurling and very much enjoy it. I believe I've already fallen into the rabbit hole as I've also purchased a Gillette Slim adjustable. But part of me wonders if it is too soon to change things up with a variable razor before trying out more blades. So far I've used Feather, Astra SP, and Personna Platinum blades. I have 4 other blade brands from a variety pack. My question is should I go ahead and load the Slim with an Astra or Personna (both blades I'm comfortable with now) and give it a whirl, or should I continue using the EJ-89 and get experience with more blades before moving to an adjutable.

Use it now. :)

If you are comfortable with the EJ, there's really no reason not to use the Slim. Load your favorite blade and start at a lower setting, and you should be fine. I use Astra SP blades in all my razors (not exclusively), and that is the blade I use when shaving with a new razor for the first shave.

I don't think it's either-or: you should scratch the itch and use the Slim at your leisure, and I agree that it's probably best to start with a blade you're already familiar with to reduce variables. Science or something, right? Plus, now you have the fun of trying all the settings! 3 and 4 are very mild and should give you a nice feel for how everything works. And after one or two shaves with the slim, you can swap back and play with new blades in the EJ89. Enjoy!

Use what ever razor you like
Regarding blades, get a full tuck, not just one blade, and use it in 1 razor for a month, that way you will get a real feel for the blade, and you will know what blade is good for you and what blade goes wll with what razor.
Basicaly change gear on monthly basis

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Four months is a while, you should be fine. The reason for not switching razors/blade a lot in the beginning is so you can figure out your technique.

Feather blades have a reputation for being unforgiving of poor technique, so if you've used them successfully you're probably in good shape.

When I'm auditioning blades I'm obviously comparing them to my favorite(s). If the first pass is truly horrible I bin that blade and take the next one down in the tuck. Stop mid-pass if you think it's a badly honed edge - no blood allowed. If the next blade is just as bad I put the rest away - who knows, I may like them better in a year or two (I probably won't, but you might as it's possible your technique could change a little over time, or with a different razor).

If the blade is OK I like to do about 12 passes with each blade. I'll use at least a couple of blades from each tuck (there can be some variability to edges), but it doesn't take me more than that to know if I like it as well as my favorite (or maybe almost as well). Not much of a point to continue to use blades I'm never going to buy again if they're not giving me results as good as my favorites.

I would suggest trying the Slim for a week or so with one of the blades you like. There may be a slight adjustment in razor angle, but you'll get comfortable quickly. Dialing in you favorite setting will take a little experimenting. I would not audition blades on the Slim until you've used it long enough to decide you like it better than the EJ, or not. I would audition blades on the razor that you feel the most comfortable using. There's no rush for any of this.

Enjoy the journey.

I think it is great to try new gear and see how it works for you. Just keep in mind that if something doesn't seem to work well at first maybe put it aside for a while and then try again later as your traditional wet shaving skills continue to improve. In my experience I am able to get much better shaves now with razors, blades, soaps and creams that in the past I thought didn't work that well for me.

Did a 2 pass shave with the Slim loaded with the Astra blade. First pass was on a 3 then I did a second pass on 4. Got a good close shave though got a small nick on my chin. On the 2nd pass my neck got slightly irritated going against the grain though this went away in about an hour. My last ten shaves have been with Personna platinum and they feel a little milder and feel better if I go against the grain. Its fun though getting used to a different razor. The weight and feel of it is different than the EJ- 89. Next shave I'm going to slow down a bit as I think not doing that helped cause that nick and irritation.

I was wondering- is it advisable to change the setting on an adjustable razor for different parts of your face or better just to change to a certain setting for a whole pass?

Did a 2 pass shave with the Slim loaded with the Astra blade. First pass was on a 3 then I did a second pass on 4. Got a good close shave though got a small nick on my chin. On the 2nd pass my neck got slightly irritated going against the grain though this went away in about an hour. My last ten shaves have been with Personna platinum and they feel a little milder and feel better if I go against the grain. Its fun though getting used to a different razor. The weight and feel of it is different than the EJ- 89. Next shave I'm going to slow down a bit as I think not doing that helped cause that nick and irritation.

I was wondering- is it advisable to change the setting on an adjustable razor for different parts of your face or better just to change to a certain setting for a whole pass?

That's the beauty of the adjustable: you can change the setting before, during, or after the shave. Anytime. Whatever suits you.

For example, you may want to use a higher setting on the first pass, or a lower setting on your sensitive areas, like neck and chin, or the upper lip/mustache.

Do what suits you. Experiment. Have fun with it.

Last edited:

Absolutely. I go about 3-5 on face and 1 on my neck.

Id say go for it and have fun. For me depending on blade choice my EJ89 is around setting 4 in the slim adjustable. Whatever blade works best for u in the EJ id try in the slim. You can even knock it down a notch on your against the grain pass to make it more comfortable The shave should be similar if not very very comparable once u get angle down. You will love them both :)!

I recommend perfecting your technique before changing hardware. But since you have the Slim, why not give it a go? It’s a great razor, very forgiving, with considerable heft. Try it on 5 then adjust from there. I shave mine on setting 8 or 9.

I think you're taking a great approach changing things up at a slower pace.

I got carried away and between September 22 and December 22 and ended up with a gigantic variety of stuff. 7 handles, 5 brushes, a dozen or so soaps/creams, and 15 different blades (only 2 each), 30 or so aftershaves colognes, but just 3 post shave balms. So I didn't follow a more deliberate scientific approach. I don't regret it too much though, I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Be careful though, you could end up having to join the BOSC (brotherhood of shaving crazies) and restraint challenges like I did LOL

Above all, I say just have fun and enjoy yourself. But my advice should be taken with a grain of salt as we've both been at it for about the same short rime.

So after ten 2 pass shaves with the Slim- 5 with Astra green and 5 with Personna Platinum I've got a few observations for what its worth:
The Personnas on #5 1st pass and #4 2nd pass give me the best shave so far.
Blade feel on the middle settings of the Slim is slightly rougher than on the EJ 89, but not necessarily more efficient
After ten uses I still find the balance of the Slim to be awkward: that combination of a fairly weighty head with a slim handle makes it feel quite top heavy to me.
That third observation is obvious I know, (that's why they call it a Slim, dummy). I just thought I would like that sort of a combination more than I actually do. Nonetheless the last few shaves have been great. I have 4 other blades to audition and will probably stick with the Slim for awhile to check them out. Its fun trying new things. And I've shifted around "the gears" of the Slim quite a bit too, trying out different levels.

Top Bottom