What's new

Should I try MWF again?

OK gents, I tried MWF a while ago and wound up selling the puck. I got a decent lather from it but I didn't find it very protective and it was a bit of work to lather. But back then I had rock hard water. We have a water softener where we live now and I'm thinking I may have better luck with the Fat if i give it another try, plus I'm more experienced now and that may help too. For what it's worth, my favorite soaps are Proraso and Cella.

So what do you say? Should I give the Fat another go now that I have soft water?

I say you should try it again, with the water softener it may lather better for you this time. If it does lather better you will enjoy a wonderful soap, if not BST again.

In my personal experience, hardness has little effect on lather. This is based on the fact that I live in the Chicago area where the water is quite soft, but travel to Houston, where the water is so hard it crunches, frequently. I see little difference between the locations in the lather I produce from a number of soaps including MWF.

When I first used MWF I wondered what the rave was all about.

I watched Mantic's video on making lather with MWF, tried it again, and the lather is MUCH better. I still like IK better but at least I was able to give it a fair trial.

Yes, give it another try. I find a boar brush (or a brush with good backbone) and warm, not hot, water are some keys to getting The Fat to cooperate.

Yes, give it another try. I find a boar brush (or a brush with good backbone) and warm, not hot, water are some keys to getting The Fat to cooperate.

These two things were also my keys to getting the fat to really work. If I wouldn't have bought my boar brush, I would have probably given up on it too. And I don't know what it is, but warm water is the only way I can get great lather from the stuff. Soak the entire puck in lukewarm water while in the shower and then just go at it with the boar brush. When you think you have enough product loaded, keep loading.

Another thing that helped me was experimenting with how wet I left the brush while loading. I found a little extra water in the brush helped me too.

I practice lathered a lot with it and just kept at it until I figured it out. The stuff last forever so even practice lathering maybe 20 times didn't even put a dent in it. But I am glad I figured it out because it really is a great product and leaves your face feeling great after every shave with it.

MWF is one of my favourite soaps- with a little practice, you should get great lather each time. It is well worth learning IMHO.

You already know the answer to any question you ask on a shaving forum that starts "should I try ______" (fill in the blank)

It does not matter what the question is, the answer will always be.......

YES

You already know the answer to any question you ask on a shaving forum that starts "should I try ______" (fill in the blank)

It does not matter what the question is, the answer will always be.......

YES

I think if I had said, "Should I try Casswell Massey" you probably would have all said, NO! :laugh:

I think if I had said, "Should I try Casswell Massey" you probably would have all said, NO! :laugh:

C-M cologne is one of my favorites. Jocky club, tricorn, and sandal wood top my favorite scent list. Their ASB is also fantastic....

I've never tried any of their soaps or creams but their other products rank in the top 1-3 with me...

Milwaukee has nice soft Lake Michigan water. But If you're farther west, the water is hard. Lots of lime. What made Waukesha water so popular in the late 1800's was its 'Medicinal" properties. The minerals were thought to be good for you. The hardness isn't condusive to thick lather. Give the fat a shot. Where I am in IL the water comes from the same source as Waukesha and the Fat works fine for me.

Definitely watch Mantic's video.

For me, having hard water meant that I used some distilled water in the process. Add some to the soap and make sure that the puck is hydrated...it should fit tightly in the ceramic bowl. I make sure that I put a tablespoon or so of water over the puck after I have used it to keep it moist.

I found that using a boar brush did not work as well as a badger brush. My favorite is a XL Super Badger brush by Edwin Jagger. I use a slightly dry brush and load longer, holding the soap dish sideways over my mixing bowl. Thus the lather falls over into the mixing bowl and once you have generated enough, go ahead and build lather. Add water carefully (distilled) and after a bit, voila, you have a great lather full of cushion and smelling wonderful!!!

ps: don't use hot water!!!

Top Bottom