What's new

Should I try blades in any particular order?

Which blade should I start using first?

• Total voters
This is exactly why, after 3-4 weeks of DE shaving with no apparent signs of improvement, I switched from the mild Boker butterfly to the Muhle R41.

I am stubborn about learning things the right way, and I'm willing to bleed a little, so for me it worked out great. My technique improved during the first stroke of the first pass of my first shave using the R41. I learned immediately that I had been applying too much pressure, and using a poor angle, all along. And I learned by loosing some blood, but I learned real quick. I got a few cuts, IMO not that bad. After that lesson of learning the hard way, I can notice my technique improving gradually. I can tell I am making some steady progress.

I *cannot* recommend to anyone else that they jump to using such an aggressive razor. It worked for me. I have no idea if such a thing would work for anyone else. If your willing to bleed a little, maybe consider a more aggressive razor, or try a Kai blade with your existing razor, for more blade feel.

Or, go the other direction and acquire something like a Gillette Tech. I don't have one, but there are many posts in these forums suggesting that it is "idiot proof". You don't need to learn good technique, you can start getting good shaves right away. Personally I would rather learn technique so I can get great shaves with any razor.
If I would have a Muhle R41 I would galdly try it, but I really doubt it would be a good razor for my on long term as I don't have a dense and coarse beard. For this reason, I don't think I want to invest in it as it's not particularly cheap.

I received the Yaqi Mellon DOC and was hesitating trying it because it's suppose to be milder than the Razorock Mission. But now I think I will try it because it might be an easier razor to learn with as I don't feel the blade at all with the Razorock.

If that's the razor I think it is, consider wrapping some tape around the handle. It's smooth and very slick and it is easy to slip with it.

As far as blades, consider starting with the Astra SP, if only because it's a very popular blade which seems to work OK for most people.
Which Razor are you referring to? I currently abandonned the use of the Ming Shi 3000s and I am currently using the Razorock Mission with the Bulldog which I find super grippy. I have the Yaqi Mellon DOC which the handle seems to be more slippery, but I can always use the Bulldog handle with it.

Eben Stone

Staff member
After reading some comments, I decided to stop trying new blades until I get my technique right. I am not quite sure, but I think my favorite blade so far is the Personna Lab Blue...

That is a great blade. As long as you have some blade feel you should stick with it. Give it some time. Be patient.

Last night I tried using the same Personna Lab Blue with the Yaqi Mellon DOC and acheaved good results. It was easier than with the Razorock Mission as I had way more blade feel. Still in the end I still got razor burn in the neck area, but it was more manageable than what I got with the Ming Shi 3000S, but the end result was not as good as with the Razorock.
I think I will stick to this Yaqi razor for now as I find it easy to feel what I do. When my technique will be on point, I think I will go back to the Razorock Mission.

Curriously, the Yaqi handle seemed to be really slippery, but it was not.

Top Bottom