What's new

Should I treat my strop in any way before use?

I have now recieved my first straight and strop, and are going for my first shave tomorrow.
I have now gone through Joel's tutorial from first to last word, along with about everything I have found about straight razor shaving the last couple of weeks, and I feel that I am as prepared as I can get before my first shave.

But I have one more question before I jumo into it:

Ceveral places I have read that the strop should be treated with dressin/oil, I have also read that it is enough to stroke the palm of my hand on the strop, what should I do?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Which strop did you get? The razor is shave ready?

I didn't do anything special to my first strop when I started. I just open the package and used.

I'd recommend looking at the stickies to prepare you as much as you can and don't expect the first shave to be great or close.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172786

Actually I have gotten three strops, but only one have arrived yet, the Dovo:

Dovo

RupRazor

Balsa

The razor is shave ready.

I don't expect much of the first shaves, my biggest problem is that I can be a bit impatient, I have a habit of doing several thing at the same time to get them done as fast as possible, so I just have to calm my self down, take some deep breaths and try to be patient and take my time.

And yes, I have read through the stiky's a few times allready, and I'll probably go back to them ceveral times in the next weeks/months.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
RupRazor advertise that their strops are ready to go straight away and need no breaking in. I would just use it.

Luc

Staff member
That Dovo strop (same model) was my first strop. I took off the paper that was protecting the leather during shipping and used it straight away. I'd recommend to rub the palm of your hand a few times on the strop. It's good for the leather and if it has anything on it, it will clean it. At all time, it should feel smooth.

When you nick the strop (it will happen, trust me), have some sandpaper at hand to buff and smooth the nick, I use 600 usually but it won't leave a pretty mark. For huge nicks, if they happen, glue the strop back together and a bit of sandpaper so it's smooth.

Thanks, looking forward to my first straight razor shave ever tomorrow, results will be posted if I survive :001_rolle

Luc

Staff member
Thanks, looking forward to my first straight razor shave ever tomorrow, results will be posted if I survive :001_rolle

Don't worry too much. Always keep in mind, it's a 3" blade and it should be right. Take your time.

I have a dovo strop and used it straight from the package, it did take a few days of stropping to get a nice draw, but no treatment was required.

Took me about 10 seconds to cut my strop :blush:

Just trying with a few slow strokes to get the feel, and on the third or firth stroke I turned the blade the wrong way, ****e!

Just trying with a few slow strokes to get the feel, and on the third or firth stroke I turned the blade the wrong way, ****e!

Zephyr, this happens to almost everyone. If the cut is clean you can super glue it back down; however, if you lopped a chunk completely out then you might be out of luck.

In my experience, you can use your strop right out of the box. After a certain amount of time it will have less draw than new and you can use the natural oils on your hand and rub the palm of your hand back and forth over the strop.

I personally run my hand over the strop for 20-30 strokes prior to every stropping session to make sure that any dust that might have accumulated is gone and pre-warm the leather. This is not mandatory, but as all things in this game it's personal preference.

Regards,

Bodach

It was a clean cut, I have already glued it, waiting for the glue to dry so I can sand it down.

Thank God for super glue and duct tape!

Luc

Staff member
It was a clean cut, I have already glued it, waiting for the glue to dry so I can sand it down.

Thank God for super glue and duct tape!

Yes but don't use duct tape on the strop:hand:

We have all been through this:blush:before i used my dovo i bought a real cheapie from the bay to practise on, and like yourself, cut it in the first few strokes, but the practise was worth the effort, when i got my dovo out i still nicked it, but a light sanding sorted it out.

That happened to me and to many others too. And most probably it will not be the last nick you cut into the strop. Just go slow and keep the blade on the strop and do the turn around the spine. Concentrate on the stropping stroke. The goal is to strop a straight razor to keep it shave ready. There are no speed records to break, no medals to win with speed.

Top Bottom