What's new

Should I shake my aftershaves

I just realized I shake them. Out of habit but some of mine do separate. A couple from Southern Witchcraft come to mind.

You can safely shake colognes and aftershaves. They are just solutions No harm can come of that.
Might the extra aeration, which would be vented when opening for application, shorten the shelf life of the scent? Just a thought. I don't use the stuff myself.

Might the extra aeration, which would be vented when opening for application, shorten the shelf life of the scent? Just a thought. I don't use the stuff myself.
Any air introduced in any container will very quickly reach an equilibrium between going into and coming out of solution. The shaking won’t affect that. I wouldn’t worry unless the bottle says nitroglycerin!

I wouldn’t worry unless the bottle says nitroglycerin!
I guess it depends on if the bottle contains liquid nitroglycerin, prescription nitroglycerin for heart conditions or if it’s been combined with other stuff to form trinitrotoluene (tnt). Interesting TNT fact: It was developed in 1863 and originally used as a yellow dye. It’s explosive properties weren’t discovered until 1891

shake everything, including colognes. I do it to distribute the ingredients evenly throughout the bottle. With some aftershaves it doesn't seem to matter because they're relatively uniform (ex. AquaVelva). Others, however, seem to benefit from the distribution of ingredients because they contain things that tend to separate when they sit (ex. Noble Otter). If you did not shake them I would think that you would get a different concentration of ingredients on every use.

While I am sure it is unnecessary, but I always shake before opening a bottle of balm or AS. I can't imagine how it could hurt an EdT or cologne? Unless one of the active ingredients is nitroglycerine?

I always shake, but not vigorously.
I really got into the habit when I started using Nivea 2 in 1, as the blue easily separates from the clear.
(Plus the bottle states to do so)

proxy.php

Top Bottom