What's new

Should I shake my aftershaves

So, I've heard that you shouldn't shake your colognes and perfumes.
But how about aftershaves? They're different from fragrances and also supposed to nourish your face a little.
So, is shaking aftershave splashes needed to activate the ingredients? Or may it somehow affect the scent?
What are your opinions?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Don’t you in pretty much shake them when you turn them upright and splash some on your hands? I’ve never heard of such a thing. It might make more sense with a balm?? Maybe….probably not.

You can safely shake colognes and aftershaves. They are just solutions No harm can come of that.

Some do separate and you need to shake them. A couple bay rims come to mind.

Regards

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I shake mine before using out of habit. Ogallala Bay Rum aftershaves...it actually tells you to shake before use on the bottle label because the contents separate.

I've got a few bottles of Shulton Old Spice and for no particular reason, I shake them before use but I don't do that with the couple of current aftershave splashes I have. I always shake the balms. I have no idea if they tend to separate but I do it out of habit. What I don't shake is beer...

The only time I “shake” my aftershave is when I’m dispensing it
Then someone needs to tell Mülhens they need to redesign most of the bottles for their 4711 colognes. The only way to dispense it is by shaking it. Though there is one option that is a spray

As a rule I shake the bottle before uncapping it. I pour about a quarter looking amount in my palm and rub my palms together for a couple seconds then rub it into my skin. Sometimes I'll use more than a quarter sized amount. One splash comes to mind is Pinaud Lime Sec After shave Cologne, I'll splash that on face and neck and chest I got a bottle for less than $4 and I noticed it wears off pretty quick anyhow.

Someone on another forum years back recommended that we shake our aftershaves before use. I’ve been doing that ever since and it’s become a habit for me. Does it make a difference? I don’t know as I haven’t noticed a difference in strength of the scent.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Someone on another forum years back recommended that we shake our aftershaves before use. I’ve been doing that ever since and it’s become a habit for me. Does it make a difference? I don’t know as I haven’t noticed a difference in strength of the scent.
Jim, did you ever get your Clubman Brandy Spice? If so, do you like it?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I always give aftershave a little shake before opening the bottle. Never really thought about it. Maybe over aerating is a bad thing? I use cheap(ish) stuff anyway but pricey stuff I think I'd follow their directions.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have so much aftershave that I apply mine Charles Bronson Mandom style, except I apply more aftershave and do so more frequently. I shake pretty much everything during the process and have a fine time doing so👍

Jim, did you ever get your Clubman Brandy Spice? If so, do you like it?
As I’m in the 2022 purchase sabbatical, I’m waiting for January 1st to make the purchase. It’s in my Amazon shopping cart and my finger is itching to click the ‘Buy it Now’ button.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
As I’m in the 2022 purchase sabbatical, I’m waiting for January 1st to make the purchase. It’s in my Amazon shopping cart and my finger is itching to click the ‘Buy it Now’ button.
Ah, sorry if I missed that earlier. Hope you enjoy it, sir! :001_smile

Been doing so since using aftershave. I won't vigorously shake the bottle but give it a turn upside down right-side up once or twice motion. Nothing too crazy but it is a habit of nearly a half century.

But how about aftershaves? They're different from fragrances and also supposed to nourish your face a little.
So, is shaking aftershave splashes needed to activate the ingredients? Or may it somehow affect the scent?
What are your opinions?

Welcome to B&B, Sir TheMainTeaDude!
Tell us what has brought you to our community?

I don’t shake “factory-made” aftershaves, but I am in the habit of shaking “artisan” aftershaves.

Over the years I have occasionally experienced inconsistent results, fragrance-wise, with some small batch aftershaves. As in, today it smells one way, tomorrow it smells different. I appreciate that some of that is me, or other variables, but…

On the off chance that part of that may be due to settling, or some ingredients not staying in suspension, I just started shaking before use, just to be sure.

Top Bottom