What's new

Should I or Shouldn't I?

I'm thinking about getting a slant bar. The way i am interpreting everything I have read about it, I have never used one, it seems like you get a close shave with fewer passes but you must [B]respect the razor. It also seems like this is the closest shave you can get to a straight without using one. I do use a straight and usually have my best shaves with one, however I usually only have the time necessary for a straight shave a couple times a week. In order to duplicate the closeness I get from my straights I need to do about four passes with a DE, especially on my neck. The problem with this is that my neck starts to get irritated on the third pass and really gets red after four. Am I crazy to think I would have a closer shave with a slant bar and less irritation due to less passes? What do you guys think? try to talk me into it, or try to talk me out of it. This will probably end up about 50/50 and I'll just end up flipping a 2 headed coin to decide if I should buy one.:tongue_sm. I also wonder if anyone has a blade recomendation for the slant bar, currently I use derby blades almost exclusively. Has anyone foound a blade that works well for them in the slant bar but not in a regular DE.

Thanks,

Jim,

Go for it. You will wonder about the slant until you try one.

I've used several different blades in the slant and prefer the Derby. Some gents will swear by the Feather's, but I have had unsatisfactory results from feather's, regardless of razor.

Lastly, I execute the same shaving process with the slant that I do with the HD. My passes are in no way reduced. If I reduced the number of passes, I think the shave would no longer be better/closer than that from a HD.

Of course you should get one. You should get one of every razor made, in fact. And every cream... and soap.... and aftershave.... and cologne....

Just to reiterate: the answer to every post titled, "Should I or Shouldn't I?" will be "YES."

Kyle said:
Jim,

Lastly, I execute the same shaving process with the slant that I do with the HD. My passes are in no way reduced. If I reduced the number of passes, I think the shave would no longer be better/closer than that from a HD.

I think a large part of the reason I my neck gets so irritated is because I feel it is necessary do go one pass too many on my neck. I'm sure most of the time my shave is satisfactory but it just does not seem close enough on my neck, not as close as with a straight anyway. I'm just wondering if the slant bar will help me too eliminate the extra pass because of how close it shaves.

Thanks for the responses.

Jim Thompson said:
I think a large part of the reason I my neck gets so irritated is because I feel it is necessary do go one pass too many on my neck. I'm sure most of the time my shave is satisfactory but it just does not seem close enough on my neck, not as close as with a straight anyway. I'm just wondering if the slant bar will help me too eliminate the extra pass because of how close it shaves.

Thanks for the responses.
Possibly. While I'm sure everyone has their own story, the biggest difference that I have noticed from the slant is a dramatic reduction in the amount of work done during the touch & cut phase.

Again, I think it is certainly worth trying. There is a slight learning curve involved, but all in all, it is a very good shaver.

I would really appreciate some advice on the slant as well as I just got mine today. I managed to resist using it this morning (just) but I don't think I will be able to hold off much longer.
Warm regards,
Alex

Kyle said:
Again, I think it is certainly worth trying. There is a slight learning curve involved, but all in all, it is a very good shaver.

Thanks for the response, by the way, I remember you mentioning using a straight, have you taken the plunge yet?

Some time ago I was sucked into the black hole of buying a slant bar. Someone claimed that there was a better shave to be found within the gaping maw of the \| than that in the Vision and others. At anyrate, I experimented for several weeks until I found the best méthode d'exécution for the \|. It is not the be-all, end-all of DE razors that many of the hypsters would have you believe. What I learned was that to achieve the result for which I was looking, I had to use Feather blades and use yet another razor to trim my sideburns. I still have the razor and on occassion resurrect it from the cabinet of shaving pleasures past and present to see if anything has changed about it. Still give an A- shave, crooked sideburns, and leaves some tiny whiskers at the inner opening of my nostirls.:wink2:

Scotto said:
Of course you should get one. You should get one of every razor made, in fact. And every cream... and soap.... and aftershave.... and cologne....

What's wrong with getting one of every BRUSH made.....:mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

drP

Guenron is right about the difficulty in keeping the sideburns level with a slant - I use either a Schick or a GEM/Ever-Ready razor for my sideburns even with a 'standard' DE, but with a slant it is really a good idea to take the second razor into the bathroom.

I love all the slants I've tried, but Merkurs Slant is one the best IMO. Slant-bars look fierce but their reputation for being difficult to master, requiring a high level of skill or being harsh is unjustified IMV. They are just as difficult to use as any other DE razor, no more or no less.

Get a slant-bar if you want, but there is no need to purchase a slant bar to achieve SB close shaves. All a slant-bar does is build-in a stroke that many gentlemen I suspect have forgotton or were never taught. The following link shows the stroke from a 'how to shave' pamphlet from 1946 - two thirds down the posting page is the relevant diagram:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7636

Regards
John

Jim Thompson said:
I'm thinking about getting a slant bar. The way i am interpreting everything I have read about it, I have never used one, it seems like you get a close shave with fewer passes but you must [B]respect the razor. It also seems like this is the closest shave you can get to a straight without using one. I do use a straight and usually have my best shaves with one, however I usually only have the time necessary for a straight shave a couple times a week. In order to duplicate the closeness I get from my straights I need to do about four passes with a DE, especially on my neck. The problem with this is that my neck starts to get irritated on the third pass and really gets red after four. Am I crazy to think I would have a closer shave with a slant bar and less irritation due to less passes? What do you guys think? try to talk me into it, or try to talk me out of it. This will probably end up about 50/50 and I'll just end up flipping a 2 headed coin to decide if I should buy one.:tongue_sm. I also wonder if anyone has a blade recomendation for the slant bar, currently I use derby blades almost exclusively. Has anyone foound a blade that works well for them in the slant bar but not in a regular DE.

Thanks,

With the right setup - you'll probably find the Slant will give you a BETTER shave than your best straight, and be more consistent. It is not a big financial investment - and I have never seen one on the for sale/trade forum that sat around more than a day or so - so the "risk" factor is quite small. Give it a shot for a week or so, and if you like it - superb, and if not - sell it on the forum. :smile:

Jim Thompson said:
Thanks for the response, by the way, I remember you mentioning using a straight, have you taken the plunge yet?
Hey Jim,
I'm still waiting for the last of my gear to arrive. Hopefully it is here by week's end and I can try it out on Sat or Sun.

Also, I don't think it is necessarily hard to shave with a slant, I simply believe that it is an impatient razor. It will not long tolerate errors in your technique.

Sorry guys, I meant do you have any recommendations on WHICH slant bars are decent? The only one that I've seen new (in the Merkur line, anyway) is the classic, rough (nail-file-like) handle with Slant Bar... After using the Futur, I've come to LOVE the satin finish...

Know of any "satin" or even polished-smooth slant bars?

NYLaw said:
Sorry guys, I meant do you have any recommendations on WHICH slant bars are decent? The only one that I've seen new (in the Merkur line, anyway) is the classic, rough (nail-file-like) handle with Slant Bar... After using the Futur, I've come to LOVE the satin finish...

Know of any "satin" or even polished-smooth slant bars?
As far as I know, the only slant bar available is the HD model with gnarled handle. The only option available to you is gold or chrome finish.

Top Bottom