What's new

Should I go closed comb?

Hey all, I've been DE shaving for a few months, I currently am using a Merkur 38c which is closed comb. I have been considering going closed comb, but I am not sure if this is ideal. While I am getting good shaves with the 38c and Feather blades, I feel like they could be a bit better. When my stubble grows out, I have pretty thick and coarse hair. It's been compared to steel wool. Would you recommend an open comb razor and if so, can you recommend a good model?

Sounds like you're a good candidate for an open comb. What you really should consider is going over to the Maggard Razor site and picking up their 3 head bundle which includes a regular closed comb, an aggressive closed comb, and an open comb head. Pair that with one of their cheap stainless steel handles and you got three heads to try out all for around $40. I just picked up the three head bundle and regularly use all three heads.

Everybody should try an open comb at some point. Although some folks believe they are more aggressive than closed comb, that's really not the case.

I don't know that you can do a whole lot better than a vintage Gillette NEW in either the long comb or short comb versions. You can get them for a reasonable price. Enjoy!

I'm extremely biased, but will say it anyway, get a Fatip Piccolo!

$Fatip-Piccolo.jpg

As long as you treat it with respect you'll get fabulous shaves.

BullGoose, one of the B&B vendors have them reduced to $15. Click here to check it out.

Lots of choices here for you to consider. Slant is a good suggestion and Merkur 37/39 is one of the most affordable and best shaving out there. Fatip is a great choice for an open comb and there are different models to choose from at a reasonable price. Then there is the Maggard V2 and V3a heads like I originally suggested. These are all readily available at a reasonable price so you can try out to see what fits you best.

Another vote for a Gillette NEW. I have the long comb, and it's not overly aggressive, but it does a great job on longer hair, while still being smooth enough to use every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of choices here for you to consider. Slant is a good suggestion and Merkur 37/39 is one of the most affordable and best shaving out there. Fatip is a great choice for an open comb and there are different models to choose from at a reasonable price. Then there is the Maggard V2 and V3a heads like I originally suggested. These are all readily available at a reasonable price so you can try out to see what fits you best.

+1 Can't speak for the Maggard, but I think you should be trying both a slant and an open comb; and the Merkur 37C and Fatip Piccolo would be good and inexpensive choices.

IMO, you should wait for a bit using your current razor. Try more blade options, etc. Your technique will continue to improve and you may find an ideal combination. It is interesting to go back to a razor that you found OK in the past only to find that it is really excellent. The difference being that you are that much better with time! (However, the true B&B answer is to buy more to see if you like them!)

I love the Maggards recommendation. I'm a huge fan of the V3A head. Staying with currently manufactured models, my two favorite open combs are my Fatip Piccolo and my Parker 26c. they are both very smooth, but the Pic is a bit more aggressive. One thing to be careful of is, if you sport facial hair, an open comb will go right through it, whereas a closed comb stops at the facial hair border.

IMO, you should wait for a bit using your current razor. Try more blade options, etc. Your technique will continue to improve and you may find an ideal combination. It is interesting to go back to a razor that you found OK in the past only to find that it is really excellent. The difference being that you are that much better with time! (However, the true B&B answer is to buy more to see if you like them!)

You make a good point. I think that absolutely could be the case. I'm not going to abandon my merkur any time soon, but know my impulsiveness, I will most likely buy one anyway. Besides I think I might be getting that collectors' obsession

[MENTION=109536]AngryBuddha[/MENTION] Please excuse the digression from your OP here. :blushing:

+1 love mine best out of my open combs. I do want an open comb aristocrat set one day, though.
Hey Axebreaker, do come and join us at the PLC (Piccolo Lovers' Club) here. :thumbup1:

Everybody should try an open comb at some point. Although some folks believe they are more aggressive than closed comb, that's really not the case.

I don't know that you can do a whole lot better than a vintage Gillette NEW in either the long comb or short comb versions. You can get them for a reasonable price. Enjoy!

This.

OP, It took me four years until I tried a NEW LC. I still use and like close comb razors, but I really looove OCS.

If you're curious and another razor is in the budget, don't hesitate to give it a try. My daily driver is normally a Muhle R89 and have had an opportunity to use the most common vintage Gillettes, to include the New. It's a great shave as described by others. I recently picked up a Muhle R41, which is a hybrid and renowned for its aggression. With a lighter touch than with a closed comb (and quality, sharp blades), you should have no problem. Open comb definetely is a different experience, having a more present blade feel, but the results also are more consistent IMO than with the closed comb. It seems the open comb hits my common trouble spots better, likely due to the increased blade exposure. No regrets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom