What's new

Should I get the Pils

As much as I love my DE89L, I really cant have just one "thing"...thats why I have 5 Nagant revolvers, 5 S&W .38s, five webleys, two Rolexes, four wives, (well only one right now, but you get it), hell I have three powder scales and I hoard ammo for guns I dont have (like .25acp, I have like 750 rounds and no pistol!)......

Anyway I am doing the razor and shaving gig for a bit since I cant afford a sports car....now keep in mind that the DE89 provides me with an easy, consistent BBS with now going on 26 shaves with nary a nick. It never irritates, and if I play my part, I can run a two pass BBS.

So therefore I love it, look forward to the shave in my private spa (ie that part of the bathroom that SWMBO lets me use)

I also had a Gillette slim handled 1940s vintage, but it was a bit rattletrappy and didnt shave that great, so I gave it to my bud.

I bought an R41 and was disapointed with the design and the poor shave. Yuck.

I really want a stainless razor, which leaves the Feather, the Ikon and the Pils. I am hoping for one is a bit more "aggressive" than the DE89

I have read through the Ikon website and something about it annoys me. Although the reviews seem good, I dont really like the looks of the knurling (looks too tool like) and it looks to me to be a stainless version of what I have anyway, or even mileder

The Feather seems awesome, but it may be too mild (it is a japanese razor and they have far less coursness in their beards than us Gaijin)...

So that leaves the Pils.

I have read every review I can about it. Now I hope that some experineced Pils users can chime in about their experiences with it.

Don't totally discount the vintage razors. I would recommend you check out an Adjustable of some sort. I started shaving with a Fatboy about a week ago, and it's 100% become my new favorite razor.

You can pick up a great condition Slim on the cheap, or pay a little more for the heft of a Fatboy. The nice thing is you can adjust the aggressiveness between passes to get the closest shave. Yesterday I shaved on 5, and with a single pass was damned near BBS. I then dropped the razor way down to 1 for an extremely mild 2nd pass which got me my BBS without any XTG. Also, with an adjustable on a high number, that razor head just looks mean, so it will definitely inspire a healthy fear and respect in you.

If you prefer new, there are companies making adjustables. I can't recommend any as I've only looked at the vintage market, but I'm sure someone can point out the good ones.

Also, if you are going for something collector's grade, they are easy to find. You could also go the route of replating a less-than-perfect vintage razor you find that you like in something like rhodium or gold.

Last edited:
The PILS would be a wiener if it didn't have the weight behind it...tried it for a week and now it is in my shave-folio to be sold at a distant time.

Luv the Nagant revolver!!!

Attachments

• $101nn 002.jpg
    $101nn 002.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 316
Can't help you on the PILS, but my Feather AS is less aggressive than my DE89's.
PS. I may have the same "thing", 3 Glock 19's, 5 Taurus PT-92's, 30-30's, etc. etc. Might be some Alaska thing.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I highly recommend that you purchase the PILS because you obviously WANT to own it. If it doesn't appeal to you after using it for a fair trial period of time, liquidate it on the BST and move on.

Don't totally discount the vintage razors. I would recommend you check out an Adjustable of some sort. I started shaving with a Fatboy about a week ago, and it's 100% become my new favorite razor.

I started with an adjustble too...in the late 1960s:001_tt2:

Can't help you on the PILS, but my Feather AS is less aggressive than my DE89's.
PS. I may have the same "thing", 3 Glock 19's, 5 Taurus PT-92's, 30-30's, etc. etc. Might be some Alaska thing.

Seamus you in Anc?

The PILS would be a wiener if it didn't have the weight behind it...tried it for a week and now it is in my shave-folio to be sold at a distant time

What didnt you like about it (wanna sell it nyah ha ha)

The Pils is a nice razor. Can't say it is for everyone or that you should rush out and get one. I will share my experience with it however, since it is now the only razor I own. I have tried the Merkur Futur, HD, Progress, Open comb, Feather All-Stainless, various vintage razors including a couple Fat Boys, Slim, Super Speeds. I gave them all up after I got the Pils. I have raved about it before. The one thing that really set the Pils apart from the other razors I have used was the pitch of the blade and the weight of the razor. You can really let the weight of the head on the Pils do all the work for you. If you are a sucker for minimalist design and can appreciate it as a fine shaving instrument then you are a good candidate for this razor. I am not sure I would even bother comparing it to the Feather All Stainless. They are really two different razors. I found the Feather to be far more tame than the Pils. Like any razor, if you find the angle with the Pils it will sing.

I had a PILS and didn't think it was worth the money for the shave results. I've had better shaves with a 1938 Sheraton!!! So I sold it.

Just another fad, flavor of the month razor like the Merkur HD, Cobra Classic, Futur, R41, etc.

I bought an R41 and was disapointed with the design and the poor shave. Yuck.
That is simply not possible. The 2011 R41 is the greatest razor ever produced. Of all time.

I have read every review I can about it. Now I hope that some experienced Pils users can chime in about their experiences with it.

I had one for a few months (and wrote up what I hope was a detailed review) and for the time I had it, I loved it. Fit, finish and construction are all superb. Probably best thought of as a medium-aggressive razor, more aggressive than the EJ. Shaved better than any Gillette I owned, tho the Aristocrat Jr. came close. The only reason I gave mine up is that I wanted something more aggressive--and ended up with a Joris.

From what you have indicated it seems like it would be a good fit. I'd pull the trigger on one.

Sure, you can't afford a sports car, but you can own the 911 of razors. :001_wub:

I had a PILS and didn't think it was worth the money for the shave results. I've had better shaves with a 1938 Sheraton!!! So I sold it.

Just another fad, flavor of the month razor like the Merkur HD, Cobra Classic, Futur, R41, etc.

I think it's worth to give a try.. all of the "fads".. you just never know if you are going to like like it or not.. not everyone is in this for the money ..

Buy the PILS razor, it will give you a brilliant shave, for the money spent it is actually cheap considering the overal quality in workmanship and materials, the shave although it feels mild, especially compared to the R41, it still shaves BBS though, just for a slower pace in your shave routine, when i have 20 minutes to spare i use the PILS.

proxy.php

I have a PILS. The design, construction & finish are all first-rate. But I don't really dig it as a razor -- it's just too mild for me. Maybe I haven't found the correct angle yet...dunno.

If you want an aggressive razor -- not to mention a challenge for your technique! -- get yourself a Cobra & some Feather Pros. Beats the pants off the PILS.

I picked one up on BST and it arrived yesterday. It looked brand new and was in perfect condition. I shaved with it last night & used a Feather blade. It was going great (I had a new to me Rooney brush I was trying too with some MWF) and on my third pass (ATG) I got over-confident & careless and butchered my chin a bit. Ouch! That'll teach me to respect my razors (especially with a new Feather in it…not a forgiving blade if you stop paying attention). Anyway it is a great razor and really is beautifully made. Had no trouble discovering the best angle and getting the razor to work for me. It feels wonderful in your hand and has the weight of my Futur without the bulk. No regrets but I need to get a few more shaves under my belt before I can be unequivocal in my recommendation.

What is the PILS made of? What Material? Is it like the Feather All SS ? Will it last a lifetime like the Feather All SS? I heard something somewhere that the PILS was made of some kind of pot Material or something to that extent ;o/

Top Bottom