What's new

Should I get a shavette? What's a good quality one?

Artist club blades are expensive compared to DE blades but IMO are reasonable on a per usage basis compared to other shave gear. But if you do not end up liking the experience, buying a real Feather AC razor and a multi-pack of blades will have been a big waste.
Exactly. AC blades last 4 or 5 times longer than the average DE in my experience. I can make a single AC blade last a month if I need to...although I only shave every other day. Although at 60 cents a blade I tend to toss them after 10 shaves. I love that AC blades are rounded at the ends. Makes for a more relaxing shave. Not quite as carefree as a traditional, though.

Some people claim that shavettes are traditionals are entirely different shaving experiences. I don't agree. It's only a slightly modified technique that shares all the same core principles. Hell, if you can get a bloodless shave from shavettes then getting a bloodless shave with a traditional is trivial. I see like first learning to drive a stick shift so that any transition to an automatic is trivial and easy.

Top of the line: Artist Club SS/DX, Kai Captain

Will do the job: CJB, any chinese clone

Inexpensive: Any broken DE shavette. Some are just a few bucks. Don't pay more than $8 for one.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have a Feather AC folding razor and use Proguard blades, very sharp and forgiving, providing a close comfortable shave. Granted this setup will take you away from using DE blades. I also use a SR and as mentioned, similar and different in many ways. I prefer the feel of a SR and I’m getting it closer to where I think it needs to be in sharpness. The shavette is always sharp and requires no extra maintenance which appeals to some. For what it’s worth I was very happy with my Feather AC, a quality product. Good luck on your journey!

This is over simplifying but IMO there are at 3 categories of shavettes:
1) those which use DE (half or full) blades. These can vary a lot in how the blade is loaded and held. Certainly the cheapest option in terms of blade holder and blades, but IMO slightly harder to master than the others.​
2) Feather Artist Club DX style. Looks the most like a traditional straight. There are numerous clones from Kai, CJB, others found on Aliexpress and other auction sites.​
3) Feather Artist Club SS style. One can also find some copies/clones. IMO this style is different enough to be in its own category. It is the most forgiving shavette.​
I like to use all 3 types. The DX style is my favorite but I have grown to appreciate the wide variety of DE shavettes. The SS is the one I would use if I was pressed for time and had an important social function to attend, as it can be like a mild DE when it comes to the potential for generating nicks or cuts.
Can you still get a close shave with the feather ss with pro guard blades? As you have used all 3 types, thank you very much.

Can you still get a close shave with the feather ss with pro guard blades? As you have used all 3 types, thank you very much.
Yes you can. Feather blades are already incredibly sharp. The proguard help to avoid you from cutting yourself as easily. I used them in a Feather artist club ss as my first SR before switching to a standard SR. I think I'm trying to chase some of that sharpness that I had with the feather blades with my current SR.

Yes you can. Feather blades are already incredibly sharp. The proguard help to avoid you from cutting yourself as easily. I used them in a Feather artist club ss as my first SR before switching to a standard SR. I think I'm trying to chase some of that sharpness that I had with the feather blades with my current SR.
Thank you sir, very big help.

I have not used the pro guard blades in my SS. The shave technique is slightly different between the SS and DX but they are close enough that it is easy to switch back and forth between them. A close shave can be had with any of the razors.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I had that "gotta start somewhere; just start and then edit" approach. A desire for relatively instant gratification meant I ordered a Parker SRX from Fendrihan. As noted it turns out not to be the best place to start, but see my initial comment. :p

I'm a few shaves in with it and it's working OK, but I got the itchies and also bought a Focus Slim Al. Literally same blade, straight from one to the other, and man...what a difference. I have a feeling once I build some technique I'll be back to the Parker occasionally, but for now the Focus matches my abilities and doesn't beat me up for my disabilities. :)

O.H.

Top Bottom