What's new

Should I get a Fatip Grande open comb?

Or maybe the piccolo?

Convince me NOT to get either Fatip, please. My Merkur 37C is like the god of razors to me. So I probably don't need another one.

This is B&B and you ask this question? :D Of course you should not only get the Grande OC, but you should get the Piccolo as well. :)

Of course, I agree with you on the merits of the 37C. In my humble opinion, that is the only razor anybody needs. :)

The Fatip Piccolo is my next target in 2020. This year's RAD is exhausted...ahem..I convinced myself. Anyway, 2020 is just around the corner...hahahaha..

The 37c is a fantastic razor that is very efficient but smooth, also. If you are able to get close, long-lasting shaves with it, you may not need another razor. The 37c can shave well even with average blades. If you want more a more aggressive shave, you can try a sharper blade, such as a Nacet, 7 O'clock Yellow or Feather.

The Fatip OC is a great choice for someone who has a heavy beard or who does not shave every day. It is fairly aggressive, but the blade is well-controlled. It might not be the best choice for a daily driver if you have a lighter beard.

Question: Is the fatip OC more or less aggressive than the 37C?

And which one shaves closer without nicks, cuts and burns?

Didn't you ask these questions a few months ago? :smile1:

And you wanted us to persuade you NOT to get the Fatip? :smile1:

I'm afraid your case is terminal, Sir. You have to try the Fatip. It is not very expensive. If you have smaller hands, I'd say Piccolo, for larger hands, the Grande.

To your questions, in my experience I can get a close shave with either razor, but the Fatip Grande shave lasts longer before the shadow appears.

Nicks, cuts and burns - this is all technique. You will have some when you start with the Fatip, but with experience you will get a good shave without problems. You have to pay close attention to technique with the Fatip, it will remind you if you are getting lax.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

It all depends how you use it. It can be as mild, if not even milder, than a Gillette Tech or as wild as you want it. Its all in the angle.

Fatip acquisition disorder is a real thing. Get them both.

FWIW, I like the open comb versions a LOT more than their testina gentle safety bar brethren.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It all depends how you use it. It can be as mild, if not even milder, than a Gillette Tech or as wild as you want it. Its all in the angle.

+1 to this. The FaTip series 2 are the biggest bargain in currently produced razors (in my opinion).

It's only a matter of time before you get one.

Another +1 here.

I started innocently enough with the Piccolo SE and liked it so much that I now have not only the SE, with OC abd SE plates, but the following additional FaTip and Plisson/Joris razors:

Two Grande Series 2
One Grande Series 1
One Grande Series 1/"Defective" (in route)
Three Series 2 Wood Handles (2-OC, 1-SB)
One Plisson/Joris Palladium Odyssey OC
One Plisson/Joris Thujawood and Palladium OC

My advice to you is to get the FaTip Grande OC and enjoy some really excellent shaves. :)

YMMV

The Fatip OC has a reputation as a very aggressive, blade-forward razor, but this is mostly a legacy of the original (MK1) version of the razor. The MK1 was indeed an aggressive shaver, giving new meaning to the term "no pressure". But my god did it shave close; on the other hand, it was (for me) pretty harrowing getting there. It was too much razor for me. The slightly wider cap on the current MK 2 Fatip tames it considerably. It is still a very efficient razor, but it doesn't have nearly the blade feel of the MK 1. Though I generally prefer razors on the milder side, I do like the Fatip MK 2 a lot. If I'm feeling up for a very close shave, I know it will deliver without too much drama.

The only way to really compare it with your 37C is to get one (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) and try it out on your face. As pointed out, it is truly a bargain for solid brass construction and, worst case, if it doesn't float your boat, you'll have no trouble selling it for a minimal loss.

I have the piccolo SE set. I use both heads equally depending on my mood and find them both to be excellent shavers. I don't know why you wouldn't want them in your den.

Either Fatip shaves better for me than any of the 4 Merkurs I tried. When I got my Fatips, and great razors like them, I sold all my Merkurs.

Construction materials are better for the Fatips as well, with the brass core, instead of Zamak.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I have a SS Karve, and a Timeless OC...but I still have a Fatip Piccolo (and ordered a Wolfman).
Of course you need a Fatip.
Why would anyone not want/need one?
They give a great shave, and truly would be all I need...but RAD bites deep.
My kids will have a great time when I'm gone, selling all Dad's razors.

Top Bottom