What's new

Should I buy the Norton Flattening Stone?

I'm getting ready to order a Norton 4000/8000 sharpening stone, and I'm wondering if I should get the flattening stone also.

I know that I'll need to lap the stone. Is the flattening stone a good way to do this? I've lapped a barber hone, so I know the routine. Seems like the flattening stone would make it easier, but how well does work?

There are many ways to flatten the hone. You can use sandpaper or you can use the flatting stone. There are also several flattening plates sold that will do the same. Check out the japanese woodworker they carry several items to do the job.

P

Papa Bull

In my opinion.... YES. I like mine much better than any other way of flattening a hone I've used yet.

Do you guys that use it, use it on both sides of the Norton? I've always been taught to use a different grit for each side.

AFD,

I do. I realize that Norton recommends different grits of wet-or-dry for each of their waterstones, but also sells the flattening stone to be used on all. :confused1. The flattening stone is fast and easy to use compared to wet-or-dry wetted and stuck to a FLAT surface. I mean, if we are going to lap these suckers flat we need something FLAT to lap them upon - not just any piece of hard surface, but something that is FLAT. A surface plate for instance. Guaranteed FLAT to a couple of microns or tenths of thousandths at least. Or use something from the manufacturer designed and produced for the that specific purpose. It's Norton, it's there, and it's easy to hold under the faucet. I hope it's flat...:001_unsur

What's a fella to do? --Bruce

I use a DMT 325 grit continuous diamond hone. It's a steel plate embedded with diamonds. It's guaranteed to be flat and stay flat and not wear out (actually gets better with use) It costs about $55 from theperfectedge.com but it's a good investment IMO, makes short work of anything you can throw at it, including PITA barber hones

DM6E from theperfectedge. Flat and stays flat. Norton is good but will develop a bow over time.

You can also use it to sharpen a lawnmower blade. :lol:

I use a DMT 325 grit continuous diamond hone. It's a steel plate embedded with diamonds. It's guaranteed to be flat and stay flat and not wear out (actually gets better with use) It costs about $55 from theperfectedge.com but it's a good investment IMO, makes short work of anything you can throw at it, including PITA barber hones

+1

I have both this and the Norton flattening stone. The Norton flattening stone now sits unused.

Hmmm...

Just to be on the safe side, using both suspenders and belt, should one flatten the Norton lapping stone on the 325 DMT before parking it? So, if in a moment of panic we picked up the wrong lapper, it too would be prepared and able to do the job?

:confused: Bruce

I really like the smooth finish that the DMT-C leaves on the Norton much more than the rough finish that the Norton Lapping stone leaves. Both will flatten and clean the stone well though. I sold my Norton Flattening stone because I like the DMT much better.

Top Bottom