What's new

Should I buy a shavette?

I've been DE shaving for about 2 months and I really like it and it's making me want to play around with straights, however, I don't wanna drop a hundo+ and have to deal with honing/stopping etc so a shavette seems like a pretty sweet option. The question is, for those in the know, are devettes good/decent/ok? and if so which ones are better? How similar are they to a 'real' straight?

What's the straight talk on shavettes?

Cheers!

Thanks for the link, I think I might hold off for a while, at least until I'm more confident in my DE technique.

I wouldn't use that as a reason not to. If you want to be happy with the DE before starting something new, that is one thing - but a good DE technique in itself will not improve the shavette shaves. Indirectly, with the extra prepping and lathering experience, it will help though.

I wouldn't use that as a reason not to. If you want to be happy with the DE before starting something new, that is one thing - but a good DE technique in itself will not improve the shavette shaves. Indirectly, with the extra prepping and lathering experience, it will help though.

Absolutely. No reason for that to stop you.

The only worry might be that you'll give up your DE razor once you get the hang of a straight razor. :)

Thanks for the link, I think I might hold off for a while, at least until I'm more confident in my DE technique.

I would recommend waiting just a bit longer, but not for that reason. If you just started DE shaving a couple of months ago, then I'm guessing you just started building your own lathers from soap and/or cream at that time as well. It took me about 4 months before I was able to get consistently good lather. You'll need that with the Shavette.

Sure, why not grab a Parker and snap those DE blades in half and give it a try? You'll only be $20 out for it. Great for learning those blade angles and works well on the road.

I would love to find one of those Italian Devettes. I have the Feather Artist Club shavette and wouldn't trade it for anything but I would really like to have one that allows you to use a full DE blade just for kicks! But at the end of the day the Feather AC blades are perhaps the most effective shaving edge on the market IMHO. Now before you put the DE aside I often do my bulk shaving with one and do my touch-ups w/ the Feather AC if I'm short on time which is almost always.

Just say no to Tofurkey. Get a whipped dog vintage, and strop on a pair of old jean, belt, guitar strap, newspaper etc... Smoother, less risky, more fun and cheaper in the long run.

I would love to find one of those Italian Devettes. I have the Feather Artist Club shavette and wouldn't trade it for anything but I would really like to have one that allows you to use a full DE blade just for kicks! But at the end of the day the Feather AC blades are perhaps the most effective shaving edge on the market IMHO. Now before you put the DE aside I often do my bulk shaving with one and do my touch-ups w/ the Feather AC if I'm short on time which is almost always.

The one you are thinking of is called a "Universal Shavette". You can search/google and maybe find one in the US.

The one you are thinking of is called a "Universal Shavette". You can search/google and maybe find one in the US.
The one I found on amazon was listed as a Daune razor. I guess that's the brand name. And for twenty smackers I have to get one on the way!

The one I found on amazon was listed as a Daune razor. I guess that's the brand name. And for twenty smackers I have to get one on the way!

That is a completely different one than the Universal one. If you get one, lets us know your thoughts on it once you have used it a few times.

That is a completely different one than the Universal one. If you get one, lets us know your thoughts on it once you have used it a few times.
Thanks for the info. I'll let everyone know when it gets here. Now some have argued that the Daune razors are truly a Barber's razor and may not be ideal for home use. But I won't know until I get my hands on it.

Thanks for the info. I'll let everyone know when it gets here. Now some have argued that the Daune razors are truly a Barber's razor and may not be ideal for home use. But I won't know until I get my hands on it.

If you aren't a skin stretcher, start practicing that now. I've only used my SR1 about 5 times, but I'm finding that skin stretching is absolutely necessary if you want a close shave with these. Something I never really did before.

If you aren't a skin stretcher, start practicing that now. I've only used my SR1 about 5 times, but I'm finding that skin stretching is absolutely necessary if you want a close shave with these. Something I never really did before.
I don't mean to continue to misdirect this thread but this may still be note worthy. If you type something like 'Italian barber' or 'Italian Barber shave - how to sleep with an ASMR' (very good one) video on youtube, there are some cool vids on there and you can really watch those veteran barbers and their technique in detail. Like when and where to stretch and also how they deal with the chin and other trouble spots. I've watched them a few times and will continue to review their approach.

Last edited:
Worth checking out the SABRE thread under clubs and brotherhoods.

In my opinion, the only one to get is the Weck. Very affordable, shaves just like a Straight. Looks kind of like a frameback.

For the prices of some of the high-end shavettes you could get yourself a very nice shave ready straight.

Yes,

Shavettes are some different than straight razors and some shavers prefer them.
As Chongo Gordo said above the Weck is a good choice.

The Universal shavette is a good choice as well. It is a full blade model. It handles very much like a straight razor.

I don't mean to continue to misdirect this thread but this may still be note worthy. If you type something like 'Italian barber' or 'Italian Barber shave - how to sleep with an ASMR' (very good one) video on youtube, there are some cool vids on there and you can really watch those veteran barbers and their technique in detail. Like when and where to stretch and also how they deal with the chin and other trouble spots. I've watched them a few times and will continue to review their approach.

I'm still a DE guy but I've been watching the ASMR Barber videos lately too. They are absolutely educational and HYPNOTIZING! I want to message Massimo and ask him to start posting the products these master barbers are using.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have used Wecks, and I have used the type that take a half DE blade. I prefer the DE type. Blades are sharper and they are cheaper. However, they are cruel to the careless shaver! DE blades flex a lot, and they are viciously sharp. The shorter shaving edge means you are more likely to dig yourself with a corner than with the longer Weck type blade.

I think you might be happier with a Whipped Dog straight. The learning process will be less bloody. But since you are new to DE, maybe stick with that for now, since you already have your foot in that door, and finish developing your skill with that, then try a shavette a few months from now. Just a suggestion. Shame to interrupt a good learning curve by going off on a tangent.

Cheapest practical shavette I have found is the "magic razor" sold by Sallys Beauty Supply. They also have blue pack Personna DE blades, and industrial size Clubman aftershave. Two good reasons to make an annual stop there. Anyway I think they are like $5.99. If you decide to get a Weck, they also have the Personna hair shaper blades that fit it. The hair shaper blades are also good hobby and craft blades, and dandy for scraping paint off of glass windows.

Top Bottom