What's new

Should flavored cigars be stored separately?

Presume you're talking about Acids and the like. 100% yes. Those things will pollute all your other sticks, and your humidor.

If you mean those "dipped" cigars like CAO Flavors, you can keep them in your regular humidor if you want, just keep them in the cello sleeve.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I mean both actually. I enjoy both.

If you want to be a purist no cigars with any flavorings should be with unflavored cigars. I have the KFC’s in a ziplock in my humi just in case. Up to you tho. Theoretically the Dominicans will flavor the Nicaraguans which will flavor the Cubans which will flavor the Dominicans if kept in the same box. So how anal you want to get is up to you. If I was really into cigars and had the money for separate humidors and had enough of each, I might separate them out according to wrapper and flavor? I dunno.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess I‘m not THAT crazy. I just have an extra humidor and I was thinking of ways I could use it. This seems like the perfect way.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I guess I‘m not THAT crazy. I just have an extra humidor and I was thinking of ways I could use it. This seems like the perfect way.

If you are collector like 99% of us you will fill the two humi full in no time. Especially with CI sales and CO bucks and Cigar Bid etc.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve never been a collector. But now I have the space for it. So who knows! In the past I’ve only bought small samplers from CI. Nothing over 20 cigars.

I’d like to get some Acid that I like To keep on hand but don’t want to taint the good stuff or aging stuff I plan to keep.

Those are the sweetened tips. There are unsweetened tips as well as some in Candela wrappers.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is some debate on whether a cigar has a “peak” after which flavor may diminish a bit in favor for mellowness and smoothness. I have a few cigars at the 15+ year mark, and I have to say they all kinda smell the same. From an OpusX to a Gloria to a Hemingway. Haven’t smoked one tho, they might blow my socks off.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
There is some debate on whether a cigar has a “peak” after which flavor may diminish a bit in favor for mellowness and smoothness. I have a few cigars at the 15+ year mark, and I have to say they all kinda smell the same. From an OpusX to a Gloria to a Hemingway. Haven’t smoked one tho, they might blow my socks off.

I've determined my personal sweet spot for aging to be 5-10 years.

I won't touch my 64 Anniversaries until they have at least 4-5 years on them. I've got a good sized batch of those coming due this summer.

On upper end sticks, five years out, I notice a substantial change for the better. Ten years out, better still, but not so big an improvement as the first five.

At 10, some of the sharper flavors start to become a little more rounded (the crisp edge of some pepper notes, etc, start to fade). But the increased smoothness overall is worth the tradeoff. It's a more relaxed smoke, in a very good way. Flavors are more integrated and mesh with each other better. In a word: harmonious. Especially on a really good stick.

I've only had a couple in the 12-14 year range. I honestly couldn't notice the difference from a 10-year old. But by then, some of the wrappers start to get more fragile. I think no matter what you do, some longer term oil evaporation and/or condensing is taking place by then. So once they hit 10, they're at the top of the smoking queue.

For me, spicier and more complex sticks age better than the mild or more simple ones.

But there's only one way to know how any 15-year-old is going to taste ...

Top Bottom