What's new

Should AS Splashes Burn?

I used to be a balm guy but for years now I much prefer alcohol based splashes. I don't think of the sensation as a burn so much as a sizzle/fizzle, like when you pour water on a dying campfire. Balm will put the flames out but a weak smolder lingers after. For me alcohol deals with shaving irritation completely and once the "burn" passes there is no lingering discomfort at all. That is my experience anyway.

I apply an alum block before aftershave. The alum block lets me know how well I shaved. If I manage not to feel any sting but still get a BBS, then I know I did pretty well.

Personally, I rather like a little sting from the aftershave splash, as it lets me know that the alcohol is disinfecting the freshly exposed skin. After that, I apply some aftershave balm to complete the shave and treat my skin. If I'm looking for a good wakeup call, I'll apply some Duke Cannon Ice-Cold Aftershave Balm. If I just want a little nourishing for my skin, I'll apply some Nivea Sensitive Skin aftershave balm.

I almost always get s burn from Alcohol splashes and do NOT like it.

I agree that my technique plays a roll. I probably use too much pressure.

what I’ve been doing to help is to use witch hazel first, followed by AS. That cuts down on the burn.

When I run out of AS, I probably won’t get any more.

I enjoy the sting that accompanies alcohol based AS's.
I've only gotten serious irritation a few times, and it's always from overshaving, not the AS.

You have removed a few too many skin cells. Maybe ease up on the pressure or improve the lather a little bit.

A mild sting is pretty normal, but a prolonged burn and redness means you are cutting closer than you need to.
This is the right answer. If your shave had been gentle and smooth, even an alcohol-based splash doesn't really burn very much.

A lot of people are saying "use a balm," but I would suggest, contrariwise, to continue using a splash at all times until you improve your technique to the point where it barely burns at all. Then, go to balms if you prefer them. But in the meantime, use the feedback to help you improve.

I read somewhere on here that I’d you use an alcohol based aftershave splash and it burns your shaving technique is bad. I’m a couple months into DE shaving and my technique has come a long way, but I usually use a balm. Today I used Clubman Pinaud for the first time and great googly moogly that hurt! Neck turned nice and red for a bit too.

So ams I shaving “wrong” or is that just the way it is?
No, not burn, but a pleasent warm sensation.

Clubman is heavily alcohol based, still it should not sting.

If it does, dial down the pressure and scrapping over the same spot too many times.

The skin on my neck is so sensitive an alcohol splash causes a burn even if I haven't shaved. I stick to balms.

If you use the very best soaps, you might not even need a balm. I only use a balm in the winter when the temperature get below 20 degrees F (minus 7 C) with very low humidity.

True that ray some soaps and creams i havnt even bothered with as or balm because it felt so comfortable and smooth

Doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with technique. Depends on splash and your skin. Some splashes burn my skin even after not shaving.

In my experience the only way they don't burn at all is if there's no alcohol.
Alcohol does dry but there's other good stuff in there too.
My way is to use the AS I want for the scent, let that dry, then I apply nivea sensitive white balm after. Once the nivea dries you're pretty much left with original AS scent plus all the goodness of the Nivea.
I recommend Nivea sensitive white to anyone and everyone.
If the shave was bad it helps heal really well. If the shave was good it moisturizes really well.
If you do get razor burn and are waiting a day or 3, each day after shower still apply the Nivea to your face. That stuff is great for a great price relatively speaking compared to "boutique" brands.
I also use it as a daily moisturizer for rest of my face.
Here's the trick if you don't want to put AS all over your face....
After the AS dries where you shaved and you're ready to put on the balm, start from top down on your face that way you don't get the rehydrated AS above your beard. Moisturized top half of face, moisturized and great smelling beard and neck area. :)

AS should not leave a lasting sting and redness, Using pressure with a DE/SE razor is not needed. Switching from a Cartridge razor to a DE or SE razor guys tend to use the same pressure as they did with Carts. Just use the weight of the DE or SE to shave with. You will find that you don't remove too many layers of skin and applying After Shave will plesently give a refreshing sting. If I go to a medical facility I use plain alcohol, has a bit more sting but no smell like hospitals ask, otherwise I like Pinaud or Tiger Bay Rum or my homemade AS.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have read more than one post which proclaims, Lord help us, that some shavers live for that burn - seeming highlight of their day.

I use Thayer's WH with aloe, so I obviously do not live for the burn. I have dry skin, so alcohol is not on my list of desirable ingredients. I suppose that any time you're applying a product with a list of ingredients it's possible you're having an allergic reaction.

I have read more than one post which proclaims, Lord help us, that some shavers live for that burn - seeming highlight of their day.

I use Thayer's WH with aloe, so I obviously do not live for the burn. I have dry skin, so alcohol is not on my list of desirable ingredients. I suppose that any time you're applying a product with a list of ingredients it's possible you're having an allergic reaction.
I do recommend that you follow with an alcohol free balm even after witch hazel.
But it's all personal preference. With burn comes tightness, even with nonalcohol.

Top Bottom