What's new

Should a gentleman carry a handkerchief ?

For me it doesn’t work for glasses, it tends to smear the lenses. I can use it if I have to but usually I’m better off tugging my shirt and using that to clean my glasses.

I do carry a handkerchief but it mostly for wiping my hands after washing at public restrooms, and blowing my nose if tissues are not available.

I have not been able to find a handkerchief where the edges don't wrinkle. I had older ones probably bought 20 years ago where this used to not happen (used recently in the same washer/dryer). But everything bought recently, even more expensive ones (Lehner shown below) suffers from this. I wonder if linen would do any better. If you carry a handkerchief I'm curious to know if you have this problem. If not, what brand are your handkerchiefs?

IMG_0102.png

I do not know what is going on with the edges of your handkerchief's anoop. I should, but do not often carry one. I do not know what brands I have. Mostly old. But do not seem to have that problem. Can you iron them out?

Of course, a gentleman should always carry a handkerchief (preferably two).
One in his breast pocket for appearance, and to comfort the occasional sobbing damsel. Another stashed elsewhere for utility.
But since I seldom wear gentlemanly attire, I usually just keep a bandanna stuffed in my back pocket.

Should a gentleman carry a handkerchief?

Yes. :)
I have always carried two handkerchiefs, one in my back trouser pocket for cleaning my glasses, for use as an emergency towel to dry my hands after washing them, or to give to someone in need. I carry the other one in the breast pocket of my suit jacket. If I’m not wearing a jacket the handkerchief is always neatly folded in my shirt pocket.

I don't know if a handkerchief, specifically, but I always carry two bright-colored cotton bandanas. Lots of things you can use them for.
I'm just not stylish.
And I don't know the big difference between a handkerchief and a bandana.

If I'm wearing a suit, a pocket square goes in one of the front chest pockets and a cotton bandana goes in the inside pocket.

If I'm not wearing a suit, they're both rolled together in a jacket's hip pocket.

Last edited:
A handkerchief is part of my EDC.
BE PREPARED for emergencies.
Knife ( or small multitool)
Flashlight(small)
Handkerchief (or bandanna) for MY OWN NEEDS
Tweezers
Bandaids
Alcohol wipes
All in a compact, pocketable , made for the purpose, bag.

I've been( or someone else) has been in need of all these items.

It's foolish to even consider what YOU should carry, as what others think what is the "proper" thing to do?
Left pocket, right pocket, cologne or no?
Get real.

Ok, rant over.
Return to "minutiae."
We all have too much idle time on our hands.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Always a bandana in my left rear pocket. Usually well worn and very soft. Limitless emergency applications, head band, makeshift bandage, etc,etc. Disposable if need be.

Top Bottom