What's new

Short-Lofted (less than 50mm) Synthetics

I've messed around with short lofted synthetics. Find the correct knot and your in business. I wouldn't even think about shortening a synthetic Chubby 2, I lengthen the loft on mine. All my brush are packed up for a move but here is one of my experiments. Despite being ugly it performs great. I made some excellent brushes with the Muhle STF knot. The brush below is lofted to 50mm and has a 30mm hole and I think a 28mm knot but it might be a 26mm knot, I don't remember.
20220630_072852.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Looks awesome, @oscar11 Your “homemade” boar brushes are complete eye-candy, too.

For now, I abandoned this search as everything looked more difficult, weird, or expensive than it could be worth to just use the stuff I have. My favorite might be about 70-72mm protruding from the handle with everything else in the 53mm-70mm range based on hurriedly running to my horde with a tape measure.

Anyways, it’s always nice to hope to have what you wish you wanted and liking what I have is even better and seemingly less expensive for now.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Looks awesome, @oscar11 Your “homemade” boar brushes are complete eye-candy, too.

For now, I abandoned this search as everything looked more difficult, weird, or expensive than it could be worth to just use the stuff I have. My favorite might be about 70-72mm protruding from the handle with everything else in the 53mm-70mm range based on hurriedly running to my horde with a tape measure.

Anyways, it’s always nice to hope to have what you wish you wanted and liking what I have is even better and seemingly less expensive for now.
You write..."

I am a little confused now. The original post I thought was saying you looking for a short lofted brush, with less than 50 mm loft, but now you write "My favorite might be about 70-72 mm protruding from the handle" - seems the opposite what you wanted?? Maybe you clarify this for us a bit.

thombrogan

It’s easy. I have the tall loft brushes. Of what I have, my favorite brush is on the taller side, but it’s my favorite because it’s very soft.

Had I been able to get the majestic, lather-generating artwork with a loft of 50mm or less, I would’ve. I tried. Twice. The auto reset on the maker’s site’s form thwarted my unkeen intellect and then I further learned the knot type was made taller than most so even 50mm was infeasible with a 30mm knot.

My not as soft, but still extremely nice knots, claim lofts of 50mm (modesty on their part or inability to use a tape measure on my part? Everyone’s guess beats mine) seem easier to use with wanton abandon without sharing gobs of lather with the floor.

Never tried it. Want to try it. Can’t without trying more things I’ve never used. I think we’ve all been there in some way or another.

Can you buy a handle with a deep socket and buy a knot you like and set it to the desired loft? I've seen a few folks mention using an adhesive that allows for the knot to be reset if needed.

I recall seeing on AP Shave Co sote you can pick a loft. Perhaps he'll do a custom loft for you. @apshaveco ?

Yeah, this is something I can do for either the G5A or G5C! Other knots are too tall for a loft under 50mm in nearly all my handles!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I am brush ignorant. All I know is that I'm big on synthetics and I lean towards 22-24mm with a 50-52mm loft. I lather in a bowl, so loft for me helps to paint the whipped up soap on my face/neck. Too short of a loft...and it just won't be a good painter. Too much loft and it'll be a sloppy painter. How's that for ignorant?! 🤣

After using semi-short lofts from AP ShaveCo and Omega, I’m convinced smol lofts are good for me.

Since I have poor skills, I use a wide knot to absolve my sins.

Unfortunately, I can’t find a synthetic with a less than 50mm loft unless it has a narrow width knot (less than 26mm chunky).

Do any exist or is it time to accept that only skinny synthetic knots are likely to be smol brushes?

Many thanks for your input
I sank a 24mm AP shave o G5C into this DS cosmetics handle. Had to use 2 quarters to get the loft up to 50mm. So you could potentially could set the loft at 48mm.

PXL_20220530_015216466.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

After using semi-short lofts from AP ShaveCo and Omega, I’m convinced smol lofts are good for me.

Since I have poor skills, I use a wide knot to absolve my sins.

Unfortunately, I can’t find a synthetic with a less than 50mm loft unless it has a narrow width knot (less than 26mm chunky).

Do any exist or is it time to accept that only skinny synthetic knots are likely to be smol brushes?

Many thanks for your input

thombrogan

@apshaveco is hooking me up with a sub-50mm brush with G5A knot. I went for 24mm based on both @oscar11 ’s recommendation and liking the looks of AP ShaveCo’s in-stock 24-26mm handles more than their in-stock 26-28mm handles.

Thank you, everyone!

@apshaveco is hooking me up with a sub-50mm brush with G5A knot. I went for 24mm based on both @oscar11 ’s recommendation and liking the looks of AP ShaveCo’s in-stock 24-26mm handles more than their in-stock 26-28mm handles.

Thank you, everyone!
Thus it begins(again) :a29:

This is very smart actually because it will give the knot more room to spread out, the handles are drilled 27mm.

You can experiment by rolling some silicone rings over the handle to the bottom of the knot to firm it up and simulate a shorter know. Even a zip tie can suffice if are careful when removing it.

Top Bottom