What's new

Short-handle safety razors suggestions, please

That's quite a triangle, what's it called?

It’s a Griff’s razor.

69142365-27A1-48FE-8A7B-A5A684A7C040.jpeg

46A182D7-701F-43E8-82E0-1E5962016615.jpeg

FABF12B1-68E2-4EBA-B5E4-67A82471A7E6.jpeg

9E5DDEDB-F00A-46DE-9F6D-E96C097F9795.jpeg

B776808C-AACE-4BCB-95F4-1CBD1338A397.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,
What is your favorite short handle safety razor. I have a Merkur 34C and it immediately became my favorite. Thus the interest in short handles arose. Please share which short handle safety razor you like/dislike and why. I'm thinking of liking a few of these and making a collection.
Any help is welcome
Merkur 37C slant since you already have the 34C. It would be the default next step up in efficiency in the Merkur line.
I've had it for about a week and love it. it's worlds apart from the 34C. I also have (and would highly recommend) the vintage Hoffritz slant which is made by Merkur. It's essentially a 60's version of the 37C that's more aggressive. They're tough to find though!
If you've never used a slant, you use it just like any other DE and shaves the same. But it gives incredible smooth and close results. This is the 37C:

37C.jpg

I'd also look at the Fatip line as @Dave himself mentioned up above. If you want a little more hefty handle, the Grande is great. It's 3" and has a nice diameter. Comes in Open comb or closed comb. If you've never used an open comb, this is the razor to buy. Feels and shaves just like a closed comb. Made in Italy, completely brass and it's cheap. It's great:

Nickel-classic-original.jpg

Another very "under the radar" razor is the Parker 97R. I see it as an improved Merkur 34C. More efficient than the 34C, excellent build quality and it's reasonably priced. After trying & collecting a bunch of modern & vintage razors, It's the only razor I've kept from when I started my wet shaving journey:

97R.jpg

Good luck, LRod

Last edited:
The Edwin Jagger DE89 "Kelvin" is rather short. In fact, I just looked and many of my razors are the same length as my 34c - the EJ, Fatip, Gillette Techs, Razorock HD (handle).

It is fairly easy to find razors with handles between 3 and 3.25 inches. The other nice thing is that the handle are interchangeable on many 3-piece razors, though not all.

I use a Merkur 933 closed comb (bar) travel razor. The handle is in two pieces screwed together to the two piece head; for a really short handle, the larger handle section can be used by itself. I have a second smaller section of the handle, converting the razor to a longer three piece handle for use in rotation at home. I also have the open comb plate from the Merkur 985 open comb travel razor (which fits with the top plate from the 933), giving the choice of using the razor as open or closed comb. The Mühle plastic razor head cover fits both configurations to protect the blade when the broken down razor is placed in the small leather carrying pouch. If flying with just cabin baggage, I spread the various parts of the razor around my cabin bag(s) to confuse security staff and leave the DE blade at home, picking up blades at my destination - I have only been caught out once thus far, when I could only source one make of blades that were as blunt as a hammer.

I use a Merkur 933 closed comb (bar) travel razor. The handle is in two pieces screwed together to the two piece head; for a really short handle, the larger handle section can be used by itself. I have a second smaller section of the handle, converting the razor to a longer three piece handle for use in rotation at home. I also have the open comb plate from the Merkur 985 open comb travel razor (which fits with the top plate from the 933), giving the choice of using the razor as open or closed comb. The Mühle plastic razor head cover fits both configurations to protect the blade when the broken down razor is placed in the small leather carrying pouch. If flying with just cabin baggage, I spread the various parts of the razor around my cabin bag(s) to confuse security staff and leave the DE blade at home, picking up blades at my destination - I have only been caught out once thus far, when I could only source one make of blades that were as blunt as a hammer.
Spreading the parts is unnecessary. Leave blades out is enough

Favorite short handle razor? Vintage ball end Tech, no question. The only two modern razors I own are both longer handles. Everything else I own are vintage Gillettes of the usual suspects (SS, 195, Slim, Aristocrat, other Techs, open combs) and most have fairly short handles.

Spreading the parts is unnecessary. Leave blades out is enough
I have had a few close shaves (!) with overzealous baggage security staff unhappy with my broken down 933 (without a blade) in the carry pouch, so now try to avoid the queues of secondary inspection by spreading the razor parts around my cabin bag(s).

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
This should be considered a short handle DE razor.
Some people have actually tried shaving with it, purely for fun and experimentation; but I'm not going to actually use it as the blades are discontinued.
But as a shaving lover, I'd be glad to have this beauty in my den.
IMG_20220930_173125.jpg

IMG_20220930_173148.jpg

Last edited:
This should be considered a short handle DE razor.
Some people have actually tried shaving with it, purely for fun and experimentation; but I'm not going to actually use it as the blades are discontinued.
But as a shaving lover, I'd be glad to have this beauty in my den.
View attachment 1530978
View attachment 1530979
I think that's a style variation of the little razor Cary Grant used in North By Northwest. In the film, IIRC, it looked like a miniature Travel Tech but was a good third smaller if not smaller by half.

1664563055136.png

1664563146887.png

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I think that's a style variation of the little razor Cary Grant used in North By Northwest. In the film, IIRC, it looked like a miniature Travel Tech but was a good third smaller if not smaller by half.
Yes, they are also one of the early portable hair removal tools for women.
It's a pity that I couldn't find a mini brush like in "North West". It seems to be smaller than the Wee Scot, possibly an earlier Nano version or Gillette mini brush, but no one knows for sure.

I believe this article will be an interesting addition to that history.
The Sneaky, Manipulative History Of Why Women Started Shaving - https://www.bustle.com/articles/196747-the-sneaky-manipulative-history-of-why-women-started-shaving

Last edited:
I agree with those suggesting the 37C. It just blows everything else I have out of the water, including the 34C. Same exact handle too so you’re already familiar with it.

It took down four days growth on a single pass the first time I used it. I could have gotten away with that single pass.

I agree with those suggesting the 37C. It just blows everything else I have out of the water, including the 34C. Same exact handle too so you’re already familiar with it.

It took down four days growth on a single pass the first time I used it. I could have gotten away with that single pass.
The Razorock german slant is even better!

Top Bottom