What's new

Short blade???

Anyone have any experience with a short blade???....I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 1.75" Portland razor co. Or that Barbarossa.....I maintain a nicely trimmed beard... figured might be ezer to use???

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you want shorties the Japanese are king....

The two on top, the King Pelican 14 and the Hayashi are difficult to find and the KP is a little over 2” but will do everything. The others are 2” or less. The KP is a symmetric kamosori, the others are asymmetric. The best for trimming may be the traditional kamisori. Both the Kenwa (lower left) and the traditional are readily available at reasonable prices.

C3C08107-BC0F-4706-B52E-21CAAA7D5384.jpeg

I second the comment above. Kamisori typically have very short edge. If you are trying to trim a beard, the form factor might even work better for you than a folding razor. Not that I have any experience in the art of beard trimming though...

I’ve modified a couple old straight razors into shorts. I prefer to cut the heel end to provide more room for grip than to chop off the toe. Another way to get a short blade experience is the Feather AC/DX type shavette or a Weck Sextoblade, both have about as short a blade as I want to play with and I don’t have to strop them.

Legion

Staff member
I've made a few shorties, mainly to save damaged blades, but I quite like them as compact travel razors. I don't find them any easier or harder to use than a regular length razor.

_DSC1696small.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering a koraat ...but just can't wrap my head around $450 for a micro razor....might just get the koraat in full size then look for micro or try a jap style.for the beard maintenance....idk....lol

timwcic

"Look what I found"
You can always go vintage with a SR from William H.De Pew, "The Perfect Razor" Monkey Tail. The length of the bevel is 2” and width is 5/8. From late 1800’s, they have a great reputation and following

518F6C52-BBBA-47FD-A7F8-5FD348A6FD9E.jpeg
603447EB-A554-433F-930B-3C76322197CD.jpeg
6270D237-CA77-475B-B1D5-B6F8D90395CD.jpeg

I would go with the Dovo instead, you will have to hone it. PRC stuff IMO is not worth money.
I haven't tried a Dovo, but I have a PRC (original verson of the Hydra), TI, Le Grelot, and a no-name vintage. My PRC razor is my favorite--the edge stays really sharp with just a little stropping. But it's possible they could be inconsistent with quality--I don't know. I went to the website to look at their shorty (I've thought about buying one, too) and it looks like prices have almost doubled from what I paid a couple of years ago. Even the razors on the Farewell Tour have different scales and pinning than mine.

Top Bottom