What's new

Short Barreled Defense Round

View attachment 682705

But then this might be the hot set up for stalking vampires and other such demons who walk the earth...you think??

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
Back in the day when it was time to renew ammunition, the process for vetting out what should be used was rather straightforward:
"What's the FBI using"??

The feds had already compiled a boatload of test data; reliability and effectiveness issues were well documented. Also as a nice aside, the ever lurking concern of being questioned as to "why" this particular load was being used (not uncommon at all in civil cases involving a shooting) was simple to answer...FBI data indicated it was the best suited for the task at hand. No one is gonna argue with the FBI on issues like that.

Re 9mm- I would go with the 124 Gold Dot (std or +P), the Ranger 127+p. I suspect the latest 147 bonded Golden Saber offerings are GTG as well.

Re 38. I find the 38 std pressure and 38+p fairly inconsistent re expansion. 38+p is often loud, "flamey" and snappy. I simply use a 148 wadcutter with its its large "meplat" and drive on. For me, my J-frame is a back up gun only such that if it were my primary, if I could find a hollowpoint that indeed expanded reliably out of my gun with acceptable blast/recoil chararcteristics, I would strongly consider it.

YMMV

Re 38. I find the 38 std pressure and 38+p fairly inconsistent re expansion. 38+p is often loud, "flamey" and snappy. I simply use a 148 wadcutter with its its large "meplat" and drive on. For me, my J-frame is a back up gun only such that if it were my primary, if I could find a hollowpoint that indeed expanded reliably out of my gun with acceptable blast/recoil chararcteristics, I would strongly consider it. YMMV

I hope Lucky Gunner follows up on their intentions to test 38 ammo as they have other calibers. From what I've seen from other testers (not a whole lot), it seems you can have penetration or expansion from 38 hollow points, but you rarely get both.

Anyone want to share opinions on the Winchester 147 gr Ranger T-Series in 9mm?
It's apparently a slightly re-engineered version of an older round called the Black Talon. On the Lucky Gunner test, it had the biggest expansion (and very consistent) as well as penetration pretty much dead center in the FBI recommendations @16.5" avg. (maybe it's my "newbie-ness", but some of the popular SD rounds go well past the FBI penetration standard and over-penetration scares the bejesus out of me in a defense scenario.)

I'm looking at picking up a Ruger SR9c for a carry gun soon. I've rented one at my range a couple of times and I find it comfortable and it doesn't have a punishing recoil. (at least not with 115/124gr FMJ.) But being a smaller gun, it's got a 3.5" barrel, so the velocity will be slightly reduced.

Assuming the SR9c likes the rounds, do you think it's a good combination?

proxy.php

Anyone want to share opinions on the Winchester 147 gr Ranger T-Series in 9mm?
It's apparently a slightly re-engineered version of an older round called the Black Talon. On the Lucky Gunner test, it had the biggest expansion (and very consistent) as well as penetration pretty much dead center in the FBI recommendations @16.5" avg. (maybe it's my "newbie-ness", but some of the popular SD rounds go well past the FBI penetration standard and over-penetration scares the bejesus out of me in a defense scenario.)

I'm looking at picking up a Ruger SR9c for a carry gun soon. I've rented one at my range a couple of times and I find it comfortable and it doesn't have a punishing recoil. (at least not with 115/124gr FMJ.) But being a smaller gun, it's got a 3.5" barrel, so the velocity will be slightly reduced.

Assuming the SR9c likes the rounds, do you think it's a good combination?

proxy.php

Check out ShootingtheBull's review - ballistic test in FBI spec gel with and without demin in short barrel (sig p938). They did quite well, and comparable (if not slightly better) than the 147g HSTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UP7p3fxgzE&index=27&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

I have become a fan of the Golden Sabers for use in my short semi-autos. My 2 most reliable shorties are my Kahr PM45 and PM9. With many HP bullets they have a failure to feed about 0.05% of the time (polished feed ramp). I have experienced a zero failure rate in well over 5,000 rounds for both of these firearms when using the Golden Sabers. A downside for the Golden Sabers is the brightness of their muzzle flash.

Top Bottom