What's new

Short barrel .357 mag.

Does anyone have much experience with these. I really want to carry .357's in my 2" but recoil sucks so bad. I am just not a big fan of .38's don't ask me why. I currently carry .38's in my snuby.

Have you looked into 44 S&W special in 2". Lighter recoil and heavier bullet.

I believe Charter Arms made one (bull dog) but it has been a while since I looked.

In a SHTF situation I'd grab a 22LR first simply because it would be so easy to carry so much ammo and the 22LR is effective against such a wide range of targets, from food to protection. Only after all other necessities were covered would I add other options.

AR-7 is alway packed and accessible for a "runaway NOW" situation.

I have this little bugger. I shoot .38 +P and .357 in it. The only thing that comes to mind is PRACTICE! It is quite a punch in a small package and you cannot just pick it up and hit your mark. But I have no real complaints with .357 in it as long as I shoot it occasionally and remember what the gun requires of me. I would however, look into some home defense ammo that will not pass through walls were I to even remotely consider having to fire it in an apartment. <- non professional opinion for nothing more than thought and consideration.

Attachments

• .357.jpg
    .357.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 9
I have carried .357 revolvers in 2", 3", 4", and 4 1/4" configurations.
I would not choose to make a long-term habit of shooting full-house magnum loads through the shorter barrels. It can be tedious indeed. And you really do not see the maximum potential of a magnum round in anything much less than a 4" barrel.
My go to round in all my .38/.357 revolvers is Gold Dot .38+p. Effective and controllable. Yes, I carry magnum rounds too but not as frequently. Really boils down to personal preference. In the real world, a Ruger GP100 is (my opinion) the best choice if you plan on feeding your sidearm a steady diet of .357 rounds.
The Colt and S&W K-frame are solid choices too, but the Ruger is a tank.

AA5FFD2C-FA9A-46D5-8343-FAA3606C4D5C.jpeg
97E250AC-2CE3-495C-AC16-38E56E61E0A1.jpeg
A398D69E-5B79-44B5-84DF-8D2C20DAC8B6.jpeg

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Every post here, makes great points and gives excellent advice.

1. I like what @noelekal is saying. If you're going to carry .357 Magnum, might as well load it heavy. I wouldn't want to have to try and dodge, a 158 grains screaming in my direction.

2. Mike makes an excellent post on .38's. I love stuffing the 135 gr. +P Gold Dot in the cylinder of my SP101. Never had to use them though. I do think it provides that good middle of the road between a regular 125 gr. .38 and a full powered .357.

3. David makes an excellent argument about the flash from a snubbie and considering a different platform if something different is desired.

4. Jar and Brian's points of going hands on? I dunno...

5. I have a revolver, I just don't use it or desire to depend on it at this point in time in my life, No fault of the revolver at all, just preference (at this time) so I don't even know if my advice or opine is even worthy for consideration, but, ( you know me :) ) so here it goes anyway... ;)

If we consider the different variables that are presented here:

1. You live in an apartment
2. You are using a snubbie .357 (maybe even possibly, your significant other?)
3. Your knowledge in firearms and shooting is somewhere between absolute expert and absolute newbie with a gun? Fair to say?

If the above four are accurate, my advice would be to completely read this article: And then decide. :)

Actually Rob that is the article that prompted me to ask the question, plus I like the good discussions they generate.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have this little bugger. I shoot .38 +P and .357 in it. The only thing that comes to mind is PRACTICE! It is quite a punch in a small package and you cannot just pick it up and hit your mark. But I have no real complaints with .357 in it as long as I shoot it occasionally and remember what the gun requires of me. I would however, look into some home defense ammo that will not pass through walls were I to even remotely consider having to fire it in an apartment. <- non professional opinion for nothing more than thought and consideration.

I have one of those that is ported. Six flames shooting up when firing full-power loads looks like a top fuel dragster taking off!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am considering that the muzzle blast could be considered part of the defense- a bit like throwing a flash-bang grenade in the direction of the assailant. With any luck, he's also just been hit by a .357, so there's that, too.

AA

Just tried 357 blazer alum, 357 Remington 125gr and Perfecta 38spl 158gr; all had same felt recoil in a 2".

Not sure what the deal is w Perfecta but they are hotter than most of my 38+P...., wanted to fire them in a new SW 38 snubbie but will not do so..... For the 357 better , just in case they have some manufacturing issue. Made in Italy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. Saw my local revolvermaster today, and he will not bore out my SP101 the extra one tenth ... "I don't know what kind of heat treatment that cylinder has," he said. I will respect his opinion and besides, heard the .38 version has a scarcity value, too.

AA

I'll be the contrarian.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I'll be the contrarian.

Lost interest 1/2 way into the article. Maybe the person in the article needed an LCR in 327 or exercise, develop hand/arm strength, then train and master his current revolver. And finally, some of the "penetrator" cnc copper rounds are probably better than wadcutters.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The entire article was interesting, especially the wadcutters performance in Jello and the guy who said Jello aint people.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
While I still have a few nice 357mag revolvers I gave away the last few boxes of 357ammo I had; there was simply very little chance I'd ever choose to shoot a 357mag cartridge when I had a 38 Special available. Fortunately my LGS also has an indoor range and so there were folk that would enjoy the rounds or find them desirable.

I've tried a couple LCRs but they simply had absolutely no redeeming features I could find so I've stuck with the ones I've had for many decades. But even back when I was young and foolish, the 357mag was relegated to pretty long distance shooting; 75-100 yard plinking against the berm. I can't ever remember carrying one of the 357 chambered revolvers with anything other than 38Special wad cutters or ball as a defensive handgun. I've always seen defense like real estate; location, Location, LOCATION!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's my exception. I carry with wadcutters but the reload/speedloader is full of hollowpoints. They are easier to get started into the chamber because they aren't flat.

If you can make them work for you that's a good thing.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That's my exception. I carry with wadcutters but the reload/speedloader is full of hollowpoints. They are easier to get started into the chamber because they aren't flat.

If you can make them work for you that's a good thing.

What I find that works is to simply lay the speed loader across a couple holes and kinda above the other holes and twist. If I try to start all the cartridges in holes, yes it's slow but if I simply get them kinda lined up and let gravity finish the job I almost always end up with all filled and time saved.

I don't credit myself with that level of dexterity under pressure.

I don't credit myself with a bunch under no stress, lol.

Top Bottom